Revamped Zones

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by negolin, Sep 21, 2022.

1. negolin Journeyman

Many people would love for the old Freeport, East & West Commonlands, etc to be back in the game. An option would be to make it like The Feerrott stone in Plane of Knowledge where you have 2 zones to choose from. The old zones are part of Everquest and should have a home in it.
    Aenvar, Iven, Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  2. Brontus EQ Player Activist

This is a good idea. Freeport went from being a quaint, sunny coastal sea port town to being a spooky castle city from Mordor or Game of Thrones. They have the tech to do it as you mentioned with the Feerrott having two versions.

The devs did a AMA a few years ago and the problem of the new Freeport came up. They are sympathetic but one of them said that they would have to make sure that the quests would be available in the old Freeport as well. The drama of the dichotomy of the Freeport paladins vs. the Freeport Militia was always something that made special.

However, giving players access to the old Freeport would be pretty cool. You could have all the same NPCs, trainers, vendors, and bankers there but without the quests.

Not a day goes by when I hear returning players ask in general chat:

What happened to the old Freeport?

Then kind souls in General have to break the bad news to them.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

That sounds like a job for Old Man Mckenzie. ;)

Back in his day he had to bribe all the guards just to get drunk in the tavern, not like us fancy adventures who can just waltz in and get a quest...
  4. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I've been asking for this for years. Pretty much any quest made after PoR that involves old Freeport wouldn't work, but who cares? Let me in my classic zones like you did with Feerrott and Feerrott, the Dream!
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

At least make it available on TLP servers prior to PoR release.
  6. Iven Antonius Bayle

The whole TLP concept does not make any sense without the original zones and mechanics. Everything there is fake. It would be time for an original TLP server without all the fake stuff and QoL features from newer expansions. Unrevamped version1 zones, no zoning loadscreens, no easy corpse retrievals, no mounts until TSoL, no maps and armor dyes until LoY, no Advanced Loot system until TDS, etc. OoW would be good as a final expansion. Unlock new expansions only every year or even only every two years and make leveling up as slow as it was anno 1999.

-> New suggestion for that.
    Nennius likes this.
  7. Cidran Augur

I don't know how to put into words how happy this would make me :)
  8. Vumad Cape Wearer

If it worked like Feerrott, why would the quests not work? It would really be two zones. Classic quests would be in one and new quests would be in the other. Important things, like the trophy quests, could be in both.
  9. Iven Antonius Bayle

It should work flawless with two parallel zones. No need to integrate new quests and other stuff into the old (original) version as that would goof up them anyways. It was Prathun who said in an interview that the old Freeport zones might be brought back but he did quit the job a few years ago.
  10. Sobmre Augur

can just have a zone choice when clicking stone in POK,
    ^or a quest line that unlocks this

I do think its a huge oversight and pretty laughable that a game that banks on nostalgia ignores requests for it.
  11. uberkingkong Augur

They probably look at it like this.

Going to cost us 30 days of work to implement.
    Is 30 days of work for people to oogle over old freeport for a week and then after that it becomes a barren wasteland like every other homecity. Is this worth doing?

Qeynos,old school vibes everything. Barren wasteland.
    If it was revamped, "please bring back old Qeynos, would love this"
    It's a barren wasteland now, it will be barren wasteland if coming back too.

Is this really worth spending time and effort into?

The answer is simple, its a no.
    Have to move forward, not backwards. Past is the past. They need to put in things that gets the next generation into playing EQ. Not satisfy 100 old timers in reminiscing in the past. Wanting developers to waste time to fulfill their past. They need to look ahead, and get the next generation into EQ.

You want to oogle over old freeport, ask the person who does VR Everquest to spend months to do old freeport so you can oogle over the past.
  12. birdsong_pawn Augur

I miss the dirt clump. It is dirt, right?

[IMG]
  13. Vumad Cape Wearer

I don't think they should run out and revamp freeport. If a city zone was part of an expansion launch, then yes. How we get to ME without a GH or port is terrible. Having a revamped city zone as part of an expansion series is seriously worth considering. That same city refresh can be the expansion series hub. A new Shadow Haven could have been part of the ToL/??? launches. Also these cities don't need to be mirrors of the old cities. They can be based on the old cities with building changes as any city would over a period of time.