In the early days of EQ, a cheater and designer waged a secret war from a San Diego gaming store

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by jeskola, Sep 12, 2022.

1. jeskola pheerie

2. TheStugots Augur

Thanks for the post. Enjoyed the read.
    Nennius likes this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yes, this was a very interesting article.

Thank you for some inside, little known information about original EQ development. How the guys met, where they went etc.
    Nennius and Evast like this.
  4. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

"maxing people's combat skills by exploiting duels with charmed pets, and no shortage of other shenanigans were hotfixed by the watchful developers. "

LOL. 2 decades later and that still works.
    CrazyLarth, Moege and Nennius like this.
  5. Chikkin Augur

Yes, i read this earlier this morning. Great read.

My roommate was a Druid and got on to that Tumpy Tonic train like 2 weeks before the big nerf. I was clueless just how amazing it was, but man he sure was leveling a lot faster than my Warrior who seem to play nonstop and died a lot in Cazic Thule dungeon. (the old level 30 version).
  6. Zunnoab Augur

Logically, why shouldn't it really?
  7. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

No reason, just amused that the article was like "It got fixed fast" and yet... still perfectly valid.
    Chikkin, Zunnoab and Stymie like this.
  8. Stymie Pendragon

"Eventually David found himself on the other side of the screen. In 2017, he joined Amazon Game Studios and worked on New World as a senior game designer and product management lead up through the MMO's launch. More than 15 years after his shenanigans at Game Empire, he needed to fortify his project against the kinds of attacks he was once famous for."

I found this part funny, considering the game breaking exploits it launched with. For those unaware, in the time around launch they had a gold dupe issue, an invincibility bug, and opposing teams mass reporting the other team leaders to get them auto-suspended just to name a few.

I did find the article interesting though. Thanks for sharing it. :)
    Chikkin, Veteran_BetaTester and Rouan like this.
  9. kizant Augur

Yeah he clearly didn't learn much from EQ but then the tonics quest wasn't much of an exploit. Guess he missed out on the akanon alliance days.
  10. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

I still use mage swarm pets (the babies, not the gargoyle) to quickly max out newly-PL'd alts dodge, block, parry, riposte, defense. It only takes about 2 uses. Ironically you need to be grouped, with the mage's merc out, because the lowbie's own merc won't heal them in a duel. But the merc of the mage they are dueling, will. Strange.
  11. Cicelee Augur

Magicians are very loving, caring individuals. Not strange at all that they would want to ensure your low level toon doesn't die to their swarm pets. Might be tough love- beat you down, then bring you back up- but it is love nevertheless. And that love extends to our mercs too.
  12. Zunnoab Augur

It's been years since I tried, but another way is gathering a massive amount of mobs and hitting the character with DA.
  13. lordbob New Member

Check out https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFl_3ktLNPYUeicLmhSvB1Q . The host of this youtube channel was a former EQ dev and interviews others who worked on EQ in the early days. For EQ fans its a gold mine of info like how there was a bug in the early days where skunks in Butcherblock Mnts. were charming players and sending them at other players, as well as solving many mysteries in Eq.
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  14. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Sounds fun.
    I made a necromancer and called it Greaterdarkbone and waited for players to pass me while sitting in skelly form in kelethin. I would stand up and chase them when they came close and did a /shout message. ( I made it a PVP player so red name ).

It was fun!
    Chikkin likes this.