2 Box - Cut My Losses?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by shoehorn, Sep 3, 2022.

1. shoehorn Journeyman

I have been having a lot of fun with different two box combos. I'm thinking one of the boxes is doomed for failure though. Just not feeling the Warrior/Cleric duo. No snare and CC makes it tough. Cleric is always oom compared to a merc cleric. It's also strange that a merc Cleric can take a beating and mine can't.

Was thinking part of the problem is having a tank merc with a damage merc. Maybe I need a cleric merc instead of the tank merc?

..or maybe it's just a bad duo and i should roll another combo with classes I haven't used yet.
  2. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Warrior/cleric is an atypical box duo unless you plan to raid with it. I'd swap your healer to a shaman. Merc suggestions will depend what level you are. Tank merc will carry anyone to around level 70ish. After that for a war/clr duo you'd typically just run with two dps mercs, but could swap in a healer merc if you're having trouble keeping up with heals.
  3. Loup Garou De loop de loop

I don't like warriors or clerics so it works well for me to use the tank merc and healer merc. This way I can focus on ones I do like - beastlords, enchanters, rangers. There was a shaman but he is getting boring and the beast is much more fun.

My tank merc is still doing well against named in EOK where we are right now. I'm not sure why folks think the tank mercs are only good to level 50.
    Stymie likes this.
  4. code-zero Augur

Box a Bard with the Warrior
  5. Tucoh Augur

War / cleric is poor because the warrior has no one to boost his dps and the cleric provides more healing than necessary, nothing else and has no way to recuperate mana.

War/brd and war/sha will be more better.
    Bullsnooze and code-zero like this.
  6. Quelas New Member

The reason the merc cleric takes hits better than your cleric is, due to you not keeping your cleric's defense stat as close to max that you can.
    You are probably doing what a lot of newer people do when it comes to casters and healers which is not letting get hit, which is normally a good but the defense stat will be low, which does help with how hard that get hit.
    It is easyer to level up the defense stat in the lower levels due to thongs don't really hit that hard and the buffs you can get to take a beating on them classes.
    Melee and tank classes normally don't have to worry about it because they get hit enough for that stat to go up.
    For your oom problem have no idea why that is .
    You can just do the others have suggested and switch out the cleric or just create another account and just add a bard to , and use it as your slower snarer.
  7. Iven the Lunatic

It is a very challenging duo as both classes need a lot attention and because of the lack of snare and slow which you should compensate with snare and slow proc weapons and snare potions. Crowd control is also weak. You should go with a healer merc for a more relaxed play experience but you can keep the cleric PC if you focus on undead mobs and use him as an AoE/DD nuker and emergency healer. If your cleric is a dark elf, you can quest him a snare clicky. At least the cleric has root and stuns, make use of them for runners !

For the OOM problem you can buy mana regen potions (like Distillate of Clarity) from Alchemist Redsa in PoK or the bazaar, or make your own ones with a shaman alchemist.
    Jent likes this.
  8. Vumad Cape Wearer

The trinity is tank, healer, DPS, but really there is a 4th role, support. WAR and CLR is pure tank and pure healing. War is DPS but from the trinity standpoint your group lacks DPS and support. It can work but it is inefficient and should only be used if you love the pair.

Your merc choice doesn't make sense either. With Tank/Healer, you should be using 2 DPS mercs.

At lower levels, mercs are over tuned. Tank mercs are very strong, so maybe they could out perform your CLR, but more likely, you CLR is under geared or under AAed. Mercs don't need as much gear and leveling as actual toons.

In any case, you lack support. SHM, BRD, BST, etc would be better choices than CLR.
  9. Gnomeland Augur

This just isn't the case. Mercenaries have absurdly high statistics up and until level 75 to 80, when group equipment catches up. Just to give an example, a level 60 mercenary tank has around 20,000 health. That's far more than a level 60 tank in raid equipment. They also regenerate 300 health per 6 seconds. That's almost 10 times what a regular level 60 tank in raid equipment would.

This changes at higher levels when players become better in all aspects.

Because the mercenary cleric also has absurdly high mana regeneration, compared to players, at lower levels.

Simply put, mercenaries are better than players until level 75 or so.

Then they gradually lose power vs. players until they become garbage.
    Vumad likes this.
  10. Iven the Lunatic

The perfect feature to adapt new and returning players to moloing and boxing and not learning how to build a team with other players. :cool: