[Community] Budget PC Build For EverQuest

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Zilendar, Sep 8, 2022.

1. Zilendar New Member

I've been asked by a couple people recently to provide recommendations on very low-cost, modern hardware for boxing EQ. I thought it might be a nice way to get some information out there for people that might be looking to upgrade and to get the community's input.

Some guidelines:
    1. Use new components.
    2. Targeting 1080P (1920x1080) resolution.
    3. Budget is $400.
    4. Suggest using PCPartPicker to create your list. If not, please provide links to the components.
    Click the total to see my entry
    $392.91
    Can it go cheaper? Absolutely! Making compromises is the challenge here. I chose my components based on price/performance, also considering reliability. This machine could reliably serve the owner for several years and even support upgrades like a discrete graphics card, or additional drives. The power supply is the gem of this build, featuring fully-modular wiring so you only install the cables you need. In a small case like the Antec NX200M, every bit of extra space helps!
  2. Windance Augur

Zilendar, This is an interesting challenge. There isn't much wiggle room at $400, so I don't think you're going to see much variation in any $400 builds. Just to nitpick, you didn't include the cost of a MS Windows license. Retail is $100+ or roll the dice with the 3rd party keys. ( I'd love to hear from anyone who has used one of the sites ... )

Given the goal of "very low-cost" hardware for boxing EQ ...

I would suggest a refurbished small form factor HP unit like : https://www.newegg.com/hp-800-g2-sf...6883450383?Item=9SIAZ8YF1U1889&quicklink=true which can be picked up for ~$200.

Reduce, REUSE, Recycle.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I think as far as new parts go, Zilendar's suggestion is probably the best you can get. Nice work on that.

For Windows licenses, I use CJsKeys and g2a. I've purchased somewhere around 100 licenses from these two sites over the years and never had a problem. I just go with whichever one is cheaper. CJsKeys has Win10 Pro for $11.59 right now. Great price IMO. That also includes a free upgrade to Win11 (for the moment) if your hardware supports it. Just FYI.

Refurbs are an EXCELLENT way to save some cash on a computer. I refurb laptops as a small side gig. For games with a lower hardware threshold, like EQ, an older device are a fantastic value.
    Hobitses and Kialya like this.
  4. Rouan Augur

They're OEM keys bought in bulk. So they should work fine forever for as long as you have that motherboard. Which means they're non-transferable to new builds with a new mobo.