Bazaar: Let's make it awesome. re: single account usage and plat limit.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ravanta Suffer, Sep 9, 2022.

1. Ravanta Suffer Augur

The bazaar is great for EQ. Being a mischief player, I can say TLP players really appreciate the recent update to where parcel delivery via paying an extra 10% and the option to use expedient delivery vouchers no longer required the server to be at Rain of Fear expansion.

That was great, but as we all know if you want to play EQ you cannot use the same account to use offline buyer and seller. I'm sure most of us are familiar with how other games have better systems for selling to players such as the auction house, etc. I'm sure just about everyone would appreciate a similar setup as those other games.

And a perhaps even older wish, has been the small platinum limit in bazaar. Nobles just are not a thing and never will be. One can't make a post about bazaar improvements without mentioning the 2 million plat limit being a hindrance, even to relatively newer servers such as Mischief and Thornblade.

Nothing so far in my post is new. In fact, they are tired arguments. Perks however, are relatively new.

I'm still finding people that are not even aware of perks, and I feel bad for them every time they mention they have deleveled.

So here is my suggestion: Let's enable accounts that subscribe to all three perks have an auction house style experience with the bazaar. As bazaar is implemented now, I'm sure adding an auction house style system would be no small feat. Heck, let's make it also require that the account have the latest expansion coming out in December purchased. To be clear the server would not need to be at that current exansion, it would just need to be purchased on the account, in the same way that dragon horde can be used on servers that are still in much older eras.

[IMG]
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is a horrible idea, an improved bazaar should not be locked behind paying for perks.
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

You make a bunch of assumptions that might be true for you but are not so for the majority of those I talk to.
    Really? I guess I don't want to play EQ then.

Yes, something like that would be nice. A very long time ago I suggested the ability to hand item to an NPC who would stay in the bazaar 24/7 and sell the items for you, and you would pay them perhaps 20% commission for doing so. Not quite an auction house but closer to not having to have your character selling it.

This is a dead horse issue. Perhaps Darkpaw will find a way around the 2.1 million plat limit. If they do, it is such a massive change to the game that limiting everyone to 2.1 million plat in the Bazaar except for those who pay extra is a waste of the entire process.

And how would you handle a transaction between a perk member and a non-perk member? Or would only perk members be able to buy and sell items for more than 2.1 million plat? That cuts down on the number of people you can sell your item to.

I feel bad for anyone who feels that deleveling is such a problem that they feel bad about it.

See, here's the thing. Turning EQ into a micro-transaction game (which is where you are heading) is the death of the game. It fragments the game. Right now, I can play with both rich and poor people. My guild doesn't ask if you have perks or not. We don't care. If the game starts fragmenting into upper and lower classes of players, then guilds, which are barely hanging on now with low populations, are going to implode.

Without guilds, the social aspect, which is the only thing keeping the game alive at this point, is vastly degraded. The EQ population is older and mostly plays to hang out with their friends. You start cutting into friendships by splitting off players into classes and people will quit.
    Jimmi and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  4. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

With 64-bit client & server they should change the upper limit to 2 billion PP. Auction house is interesting but I can live with what we have. So many things need the limited dev resources we have but I appreciate you putting together your thoughts had some interesting ideas.
  5. Smokezz The Bane Crew

The 64 bit client had nothing to do with the plat limit.

As for the perk / bazaar idea. That's a horrible idea. A new idea to use to post on the bazaar limit, but a horrible one nonetheless.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

As Smokezz says the 64 bit client/server had nothing to do with the limit and they have been using 64 bit variables for other things such as mob HP which was needed to increase past the 32 bit limit long ago. Examples of this could be seen in bugs that took some raids past the 5B health that was intended for them before the 64 bit client/server went live.
  7. Sebbina Augur

We already have serious inflation, were the bazaar limits to be boosted to 20 million, those who have less skill or interest in farming, would have to buy Krono for $, trying to keep up or catch up. As an aside, I suspect that some do spend $ to support in game efforts. Not to knock Darkpaw profits, but, not everyone is able or willing to spend extra to enjoy Everquest.
    Loup Garou likes this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You don't need to spend mega money in the bazaar to keep up or catch up it is just one of the available paths to do that.
    Nennius, Svann2 and Loup Garou like this.
  9. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I don't think that's what they're meaning there. Simply that you can't actively play a character while simultaneously having a trader/barter up in he bazaar.
    Laronk and Ravanta Suffer like this.
  10. Laronk Augur

It's really just a bad excuse, on FV it's very common at this point for items to be worth more than 2 million and imo it's just a design decision.

If it was anything but a design decision at this point they could make nobles buy and sell for a 1:1 rate or make a new item like a noble that buys and sells for exactly 100k plat if we can't have things sell for the exact same then make them right clickable like bags of platinum then we could use the already existing barter to trade for the items. Maybe also have one that is a 10x value of that so we can also have a million plat coin item thats tradeable. They don't even have to improve the terrible barter search and people would use it. Though if we could put items in the baz for item trade that would be even nicer.

Again it's a bad lazy excuse or a design decision, we have many many things now that the devs would have had a hard nope for in the past and it's something that they could give us a workaround for as I listed above. While there are many things that could be "too hard to program because we don't know how hard things are in reality in their system"

There's already a script for right clicking an item and turning it into plat (big bag of platinum on the loyalty vendor)
    We can already use barter to trade items for other items

Nobels aren't a solution because no one is willing to pay that level of tax to go get the nobels to buy something and then the thing isn't for sale anymore.
  11. Zunnoab Augur

It's not about it being "too hard" it's about it being costly in dev time and QA.

Ideally they would just make a modern Bazaar alternative/replacement. It's nostalgic but extremely dated.
  12. Laronk Augur

If it's purely a too costly problem to solve. Then why can't we just get a 100% return on nobles or my other suggestion of a 100k plat item. So that we can use the barter system with something that is a safe representation of plat, a system that already exists in game.

I believe the answer is it's a design decision.

Though I agree it would be nice to have an auction house, that would probably be preferable to most players so that you don't have to go log your character out and setup your trader and so that you could be selling stuff during prime time while playing the game. I think an auction house would even be a pretty worthy expansion level feature that would see more use to the average player than the dragon horde.