Mercenary spells to block...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Wdor, Aug 30, 2022.

1. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

I have been searching the forums for this with little success. If this has already been posted, I apologize, and will certainly read any links posted here, instead of needing someone to re-post everything.

I used to have several spells, cast by my healer merc, blocked for efficiency of the merc and such. I just had a major computer problem, and had to load a new copy of Windows 10. This resulted in having to re-configure my entire EQ setup in game. Yes, when I get it all reset, I will be backing the client to an thumb drive.

I only remember one, albeit partially, a complete heal spell. I am basically only a melee player, so my knowledge of caster spells is very limited. If anyone could list the spells that I should block, hopefully with their corresponding ID number, I would greatly appreciate it. My signature shows the player I need this for, and my merc AAs are maxed for every type.

Thanks in advance.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Years ago I maintained a good list up to level 90 with IDs, but I've lost track of it.

These are the names I use that are good up to about 60. Of course you would only want to use these Molo, I think raid clerics would cringe at blocking these.

1-60 gotta go:
    Complete Heal
    Promised Recuperation
    Elixir of Healing
    Devout Elixir

Situational, you might want to try blocked or not:
    Celestial Healing
    Celestial Health? (I recently ran into some sort of conflict where I thought it was blocked but merc would very occasionally cast Celestial HealXXx, some variation that slipped through because of the similar names?)
    Thinking this might have been a Rank II or III issue.

EDIT:
    This is what I use on pet class casters. And is probably outdated. As a melee YMMV. Hopefully someone max level can add a more meaningful list.
    Wdor likes this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Some of these might help - they even had id's in the comments
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/mercenary-healer-block-spell-list.246383/

Some others:

/blockspell add me 13 55159 55292 55204

/blockspell add pet 13 55159 55292 55204

This will block all the current spells and the earlier versions. You can add Refreshing Splash, which is ID 55274 if you want. I don't, but some do.

If you have a pet make /blockspell add pet.

IIRC the whole group needs to have the same spells blocked or the merc would continue to use them

On a side note - make a back up of your game with a usb stick.;)
    Wdor and MasterMagnus like this.
  4. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

I forgot to mention it's for moloing. Thanks for reminding me, and thanks for the response.
  5. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

Thanks for the response. Those all look very familiar, now seeing them typed out.
    On a side note - just minutes ago the machine crashed to a blue screen with a 'Critical Structure Corruption' message. I don't know much about that kind of thing, and a quick Google search made it seem as bad as it sounds. Oh well, I bought this refurbished Dell laptop over three years ago for $139. Pretty good mileage for a nearly 14 year old machine I think.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

MasterMagnus and Wdor like this.
  7. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

Hopefully it's not too critical. I was getting ready to buy a new machine anyway, and would love to have a backup in the wings.

I welcome any suggestions anyone who knows anything might suggest. Hehe.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  8. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Thank you for finding that thread! /bow Your search-foo has truly outdone me. /grovel

So to flesh these out a little: Current (from Cats)
    13 - Complete Heal
    55159 - Merciful Elixir Rk. III
    55292 - Elixir of Wulthan Rk. III
    55204 - Promised Remedy Rk. III
    (Optional, Toggle on/off) 55274 - Mending Splash Rk. III

My old list to level 90:
    13 - Complete Heal
    18272 - Promised Recuperation Rk. III
    18254 - Devout Elixir Rk. III
    2538 - (drive-by Mod Rod) Mass Mystical Transvergence
    2198 - (annoying Black Bread) Blessing Of The Harvest
    2199 - (annoying Globe Of Water) Blessing Of The Storm
    3188 - (Single? Mod Rod) Rod Of Mystical Transvergence

I forget the slot limit to how many you (and pet) can block.

Also as Cats mentions, you, group members, your pet and group pets need identical lists or merc will still cast any that are not on all lists.

EDIT:
    In the old thread, Wulfhere mentions blocking only up to Rk. II, leaving Rk. III spells (most likely on raids) to still land. Potentially giving you a list you can 'leave always on'.
    Wdor, Wyre Wintermute and CatsPaws like this.
  9. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I would set a hotkey somewhere to toggle this one on/off.

And yes, only block Rk 2 spells, outside of not wanting druid skin, cleric ageo line, RNG/BST/PAL non-stackables, whatever suits you best.

IE: Clerics and Paladins normally don't want druid skin and a drive-by/MGB can interfere with buffing. (Some clerics do go the skin/focus/sybol route.. again up to how you play). I know many who want Brells early on for the higher HP, but later prefer the ATK bonus of either BST/RNG lines (mostly due to poor scaling of Brell's)

Also add:
    /blockspell add me 21633 to avoid the "fun ball"
    /blockspell add me 27534 to avoid the paladin AA aggro reduction buff (for tanks, you probably want this or at least a toggle)
    Wdor, Wulfhere and MasterMagnus like this.
  10. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

11. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

The limit is 40 slots. In the character .ini file [BlockedSpells]
    BlockedSpellID0=13
    BlockedSpellID39=-1 (-1 for none)

And for the Rank IIs:
    55158 - Merciful Elixir Rk. II
    55203 - Promised Remedy Rk. II
    55291 - Elixir Of Wulthan Rk. II
    Wdor likes this.
  12. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

I recall Shaman/Druid regen used to cause problems, the merc would think it was a heal-over-time and not heal. Dunno current state.
  13. Vumad Cape Wearer

It would be nice if they gave us a UI type file or in game window that let us turn on and off certain spells. I shouldn't have to block anything. I should be able to just tell my merc to stop casting stuff I don't want it to cast. This doesn't even have to be a complicated option with spells listed. It could be as simple has having some Check boxes...

Heals
    Fast heals
    Delayed heal
    Heals of Time
    Group Heals
    Complete Heal
    etc

Just use the categories from the menu that comes up when I right click the spell gem on my cleric.

Put the same options on my Wizard merc. Then I could tell my Wizard to only cast Ice, Fire or Magic spell based on the resists needs of my group.
    Wayylon, Wdor, Stymie and 1 other person like this.
  14. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Heh, I haven't even cast those spells in years, aside from low level versions for PL or newbie buffing. They just don't scale high enough and get overwritten too easily.
  15. Wulfhere Augur

I feel the tactics and situations of buff blocking change after level 87. This is because the cleric spells themselves get better. One line in question: Promised line adds a low health bonus that can be worthwhile. My testing shows that allowing Promised heals does not inhibit the healer merc's subsequent choices.

I still block Elixirs because I want to trigger Harmonious procs more often and a paladin has their own heal-over-time.

Sometimes the camp requires me to block slow group heals (paladin can handle them) to maintain a steady stream of heals on the tank.

I think the main thing that improves healer merc choices is blocking long cast time heals. The merc really gets paralyzed by high damage rates and spikes that cause it to interrupt a cast to react to the fast damage. This behavior can chain once or twice and by the time it gets off a spell, you are hovering dead and sometimes getting a rez (since the merc never acted during the deadly combat).

Cast Times
    0.25s : Promised
    0.50s : Remedy
    0.50s : *teenth
    3.00s : Elixir, single (lvl 90+)
    3.00s : Renewal
    3.00s : Splash
    3.00s : Syllable
    3.75s : Light
    4.00s : Elixir, single (lvl 85-)
    4.00s : Word, cures (lvl 90+)
    4.50s : Elixir, group (lvl 90+)
    4.50s : Word
    4.50s : Word, cures (lvl 85-)
    5.00s : Elixir, group (lvl 85-)
    10.0s : Complete Heal
    12.0s : Word of Redemption

If your healer merc is letting you die from fast damage, and (as an indication) interrupting it's casting, start by blocking the slower cast heals. Keep in mind that one line of Word heals also cure (in combat).
    Wdor and MasterMagnus like this.
  16. Coagagin Guild house cat

Wdor;

Probably memory gone or going bad. Usually the first suspect. Try reseating and see if that doesn't solve things.

I see your RIP Nine message. Very disappointed to hear. Truly one of the most colorful and knowledgeable people I have meet in EQ. He will be missed.Please pass on my well wishes to those left in EiE as well as my condolences. I just haven't heard of his passing.

If your still having trouble with the unit. I can be reached at Coag.Bristle.
    Wulfhere, Wdor and MasterMagnus like this.
  17. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

Thank you all very much! Those are the ones I was I was looking for. These forums are still the most reliable place for knowledge and information. As far as the computer, it's going to be retired to back up status when the new one arrives any day now. I will definitely be backing things up as suggested too.
  18. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

I don't know how my last Coag quote included something I meant to stand alone, but, please visit the memorials to Ninelder/Portly if you find yourself in Povar.
  19. Wulfhere Augur

Example of blocking the slow casting Word (cure) spell on (level 120) healer merc performance.

6 mobs in ToV, without blocking Word. This 4.0s cast is preferred (over Light at 3.75s) even though only the tank is taking damage and no cures are needed. This is a poor AI choice in terms of cast time, mana, and tank healing.

/GU -vs- Combined: A shadowbone - Spells Cast By: Birtre: 167
    | Guileless Remedy Rk. II: 86
    | Word of Greater Rejuvenation Rk. II: 62
    | Fervent Light Rk. II: 17
    | Promised Reclamation Rk. II: 1
    | Refreshing Splash Rk. II: 1

6 more mobs in ToV, and Word is blocked on tank only. It is still allowed on other group members, mercs, and pets. Now Word is cast only when an allowed target is injured and its focus in on healing the tank, but not in reaction to cure needs however.

/GU -vs- Combined: A shadowbone - Spells Cast By: Birtre: 173
    | Fervent Light Rk. II: 80
    | Guileless Remedy Rk. II: 73
    | Promised Reclamation Rk. II: 15
    | Refreshing Splash Rk. II: 3
    | Word of Greater Rejuvenation Rk. II: 2
    Moege and Wayylon like this.