[Suggestion] Item Vendors — PoK

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Skrab, Aug 26, 2022.

1. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Alot of people like my ranger has do not loot on all that stuff. So i thinking adding to vendors is a good idea.
  2. Evast Lorekeeper

If the older content was alive, sure this would be a sound suggestion. But on live servers this is not the case. Having an easier, more direct/streamlined way of progressing through the dead levels (1-80-90-100) and catching up to where players are actually at in the game is healthy and beneficial.

For the nostalgic “camp X mob for 4 hours to acquire a +1 WIS ring”, the TLP servers exist.

I’ve got nothing against your idea of “go out and gather and make your own items instead of lazily buying what you need from a central vendor”. But the error of that line of thought: you’re telling a level 10 to venture into a level 85v2.0 zone to do so. How exactly do you think that’s going to work out for a new player? And then to make said pieces of equipment, they’re going to need a high TS skill level…and once you get to a certain point, you have to spend $$$$ to increase that skill level. None of that is player friendly.

Defiant gear already has a chance to drop any level appropriate mob in the game, so you can get it no matter where you’re hunting, you can get it to drop. Adding a vendor wouldn’t change anything.

At the very least, have a vendor that’ll exchange one piece of defiant gear for another identical piece of a different armor type. Nothing worse than getting cloth defiant gear on your plate wearer, and swapping to your caster and getting leather to drop >.<
    Stymie likes this.
  3. Loup Garou De loop de loop

New players have plenty of options to armor up. Free and cheap. They can ask or research how to do it like every other player does. They don't need to buy it off merchants or from the baz, etc

Veteran players, meaning pretty much everyone who responded here, can twink out a low level and in fact, have forgotten or do not know how to armor out a true newbie and are projecting their own wants and needs onto newbies.

Soon there will be a new title given out "participation certificate holder"
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If they have plenty of options what is the harm in adding the rest of the defiant armor to the vendor that already sells it?
  5. Loup Garou De loop de loop

Why bother? Why not expend that time/energy on something that really matters.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I could be wrong but I don't think that adding these items to the vendors is going to take much work considering all of them already have values that merchants can buy and sell them for.
    Rasper Helpdesk likes this.
  7. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

Or adding the rest of the non-vendor sold defiant to the Hot Zone daily quest rewards.
    Barton, Stymie and Jumbur like this.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If they want to encourage old-school hunting, they could make it so that nameds always drops multiple defiant items. It won't help soloers, but I always found it anticlimactic when clearing around a named, that the trash dropped better loot than the named...:p

When they can have different loot tables on different servers(Mischief), Then they can also add extra defiant items to live server nameds, without interfering with TLPs.
    Stymie likes this.
  9. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I don't think it should be removed, since early leveling is so fast and you toss out old gear quickly, but I do wish there was a valid reason to collect or use old world equipment.

One idea floating around in my head is a trade in system where you could turn in an old world item for an equivalent no trade defiant piece. So a level 45 Mithril Breastplate from SolB would give you a Flawed Defiant Breastplate/Tunic/Robe/whatever.

The idea might be terrible, but like I said I just wish there was a reason to still get old gear.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It is an interesting idea but I am guessing there is more work involved in setting up a quest like that then adding new items to a vendor.
  11. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

You’re just adding in an extra step between selling the old gear for currency to a vendor to buy better gear from a vendor. For items that are vendorable.
  12. Gnomeland Augur

The rewards from most older content are basically useless and do not make a significant difference. Their tuning was from back when the game didn't put a premium on equipment and you could literally hit level 50 naked due to class mechanics like slow and complete heal trivializing content. The levels 1 to 50 fly by way too fast on live servers for players to go out and camp rare monsters for bad equipment.

I do agree that exploration should be encouraged as there's a lot of content out there that is essentially useless on live. This could be done in a variety of ways:
    1. Achievements in older content being rewarded with level appropriate, defiant gear. This is by far the easiest, since there are already achievements for much of the content. However, those achievements are kind of ridiculous in certain cases. Hunter of South Karana really shouldn't be pursued by anyone sane.
    2. Have rare monsters drop a piece of defiant as another person suggested or currency for defiant. But this doesn't really encourage exploration, it encourages sitting in the easiest camp available for a level range. You can mitigate that by having different monsters drop different pieces, but that requires development hours.
    3. Create new achievements that encourage you to go out and do a fraction of the content in each zone. But this requires development hours.
    If you're going to spend development hours, honestly I think a variation of the fabled solution is best, here. Just have old school rare monsters drop a variant of their normal loot table but inflated to modern power levels. This would make it exciting to hunt them again and would encourage exploration to collect level appropriate equipment. But it will take development hours, which I'm guessing is not what's available right now for this kind of work.

So in light of that, the easiest solution is probably what was mentioned - having it on a merchant or offer it in daily hot zone quests. I actually like the latter a bit more because it encourages exploration to a degree.
    Jumbur likes this.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Boosting all old loot/rewards to modern levels would be awesome. If JBoots or Epics had good enough stats to be worn into appropriate levels in the modern game, it would probably still be worthwhile quests. The retuning of items could probably be automated. Something like new-item-stats = old-item-stats + level-appropriate defiant-stats.

Alas, I think needing a separate item database for live servers versus TLP servers, would probably make that solution a no go. :oops:
  14. Velisaris_MS Augur

Hardcore Heritage for everything, year round!
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Honestly, if it was tuned towards level appropriate chars in TSS gear, then yes, I would like that.

Bumping everything(except hero's journey content, gotta have a functional level-up path) to level 75-120 would be an interesting approach for a special ruleset server. No-one ever said there should only be 2 types of servers(TLP and Live)...
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

As long as you can chose to do the original zone or the hard core heritage version.