Can we fix the lag instead of just "addressing" it?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cadira, Aug 28, 2022.

1. Cadira Augur

2. Tucoh Augur

Delete 90% of weapon/spell procs and swarm pets then rebalance the classes around base spell / melee damage instead of gimmicky spell effects.
    Aeonblade, DruidCT, Barton and 15 others like this.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

Remove trash mobs from raid zones if they arent part of the event.
  4. Windance Augur

Double the server hardware specs. We need faster hamsters.
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  5. Viper1 Augur

This is the answer
  6. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

"Remove fun from the game."
  7. Raccoo Augur

Would be more fun without lag.
  8. Warpeace Augur

Referencing the all mighty "2022 roadmap update"...not likely since there is no mention of it.
    Fenthen likes this.
  9. FranktheBank Augur

Ya, procs are definitely what I find fun. All 17 of them per combat round. Which one is your favorite?
    Fenthen, Roxas MM, Hobitses and 4 others like this.
  10. Tucoh Augur

When Sancus brought this up a year and a half ago he showed that he got 235 procs from 29 spell casts in a 90s period.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...n-suggestion-converting-spa-383-procs.273876/

[IMG]

My favorite of these is "Surge of Ice", but it might be "Spike of Ice"

That and the 20 swarm pets a bard unleashes like a Wolf spider are definitely more fun than watching your pets actually attack the mob and seeing your spells cast reliably.
    Vumad, Hobitses, Sancus and 2 others like this.
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I miss the old times where I could cast a nuke, and actually read in realtime how much damage it did.

Now I need a parser to get an idea of my damage output...:(
    Orangemilk, Rexa, Fenthen and 4 others like this.
  12. Windance Augur

If I remember correctly ( which is unlikely ) the proc rate for weapons when EQ was young ( first 10 years? ) was something like ~2 per minute, and you could only get one proc per combat round. Most of the procs where on weapons for things like slow, snare, etc.

When did they unlink the proc rates so all the items could proc every combat round?

When did they add the procs that proc other procs ?
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And how much does that destroy game balance? How many people who are working on content would be struggling/failing to beat it with a change like that? While it sounds good they would have to make sure that it didn't impact the game in other ways.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  14. Zarzac Augur

This seems like such low hanging fruit that would have to give some immediate gains.

You can move the luck augs to the zone trash in the group missions and instant win. It's not going to be a fix but will surely offer some instant help.
    Fenthen and Warpeace like this.
  15. Tappin Augur

Maybe if they upgrade their servers from regular iPads to ones with the M1 chip in it, everything would be good.
    Vumad, Stymie and Metanis like this.
  16. Warpeace Augur

Would open that aug to more players, like the idea of shifting it to the group missions.
  17. Metanis Bad Company

On my server, Luclin, I think it's been a tiny bit better lately. But that could be due to fewer players across the entire server farm judging by the guild recruitment efforts underway.

It sure would be nice to have regular status reports from the powers that be. I suspect all hands are busy with expansion work and lag reduction efforts are not.
    Stymie and The real Sandaormo like this.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why not go a step further and remove trash from group instances that don't need it and just move the luck aug to the normal zones? If you move it off of raid trash is there any reason to require an instance to farm them?
  19. The real Sandaormo Augur

So just hit the "no lag" switch? I don't think its that easy and really is probably a 1000 things all piling up to create what lag there is.

I don't mind the idea that not every spell and proc needs some huge blooming graphic firing off each time.
  20. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

More to the point, it's been a major issue for consecutive years but they continue to add features that don't assist in lag reduction. Dragon's Hoard could've been a big step, but it's seemingly stagnant. The newer expansion features (Overseer and Luck) could cause significant issues. Did raising the debuff cap help things?

Raid design should be reviewed. There doesn't need to be trash in the instance, the area can be smaller, check the script loading. EQ is unique with such large scale raiding, but games with smaller raid forces still limit their design. WoW had a recent raid with Sylvanas loading too many scripts at the startup causing lag. FF14 limits the design to a smaller arena, due to being designed for the PS3.

It's wholistic approach, but you can't keep compounding the issue with so other features jammed into the game.
    Hobitses likes this.