Avoid unless you have money

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Grimvalor, Aug 24, 2022.

1. Grimvalor New Member

Unless you have multiple computers to box, or a large bank roll, this game is like a mobile game with nostalgia. box campers will farm every quest item and sell it for KR, you will have to pay to progress. I love this game, but hate the tlp servers. want to camp something or get a group to help? nope, sorry already camped by a 5 box group that would be happy to sell it to you for RL money. Seriously need a no box no krono server start. the people who disagree are the people that ruin this game.
    Brontus likes this.
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I know half a dozen retirees on fixed income who have a blast every night in game. Some of them are FTP Silver accounts on a 10 year old laptop.

Your advice is bad. I disagree with you. I guess I 'ruin this game'. :rolleyes:
    Brildon, Tweakfour17, Tarvas and 6 others like this.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I would suggest playing on a randomized (Mischief) or double loot (Vaniki) TLP server. Or, play on a high pop Live server.
    minimind likes this.
  4. Shillingworth Augur

I'm a very poor guy and play this game regularly. I only pay for subscription and if I need access to new expansions, I buy those.

When you buy an expansion for this game, you are buying every expansion up to the current one. I don't know of any other games that do that but I'm sure there's at least 1 or 2 others.

There is absolutely nothing you need to buy other than the game and when you get to a high enough level, a subscription. Nothing in that cash shop is going to help you play the game better.

Your not even required to be subscribed to enjoy the majority of the game. It really doesn't become necessary until you get to the tail end of the game which should take you long enough to get to that you'll know if it's really worth the monthly cost to you or not.

The monthly cost for this game is totally justified. We get regular updates fixing the problems we report as well as some we didn't even know of. There's actual GMs present in the world that if you spot one you can literally walk up to and have a conversation with. The guide program is a rather awesome thing in that anyone can apply to it and if you do well at it, you might land a job at their company. The GMs in this game have from a very early point been recruited almost exclusively from that program.

If you really want to hear from some of the people on the inside what this game is all about. Look into aLovingRobot on YouTube. He's a former employee that spent a lot of time interviewing past and current employees about the game. I highly recommend his interview with Michelle Butler where she talks about just how serious they are about making sure this game's integrity remains in-tact.

This game really is a game made by the players, for the players, all the way down to it's core. This isn't your mobile FTP bs where you must buy one thing after another to be able to play effectively. This game rewards you for actually playing it.
    Stymie, Wdor, Sprooce and 6 others like this.
  5. Flatchy Court Jester

What server do you play on? I play on Bristlebane and I seriously do not see the problems you speak of. If something is camped move along and do something else. I usually ask whoever is there to shoot me a tell when they are done if they would not mind, and they usually oblige. I have even had em say " go ahead and take it quite often. I really have never been on a diff server nor tried one since 2004 when I started but I think its a pretty friendly community. I have been helped by a lot of the Big Boys (and Ladies) that post here and my hat is off to people like that! (THanks to you all btw) I have asked in general chat for TS items to buy and had people I do not even know run up and hand me a stack and say " NP , enjoy"!

If you are on a TLP maybe you should try a live server?
    Stymie, Wdor, cadres and 2 others like this.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Wow, so nice to see so many positive posts about the game without the derail and with no arguments or sesquipedalian orators with incomprehensible paragraphs responding. :cool:
  7. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

So uhh, most servers don't require multiple PC's to box. That is a feature on many of the TLP servers though, and it's actually designed to help reduce a lot of the exact behavior you're complaining about.

You're making a wide statement about the entire game when the issues you're having occur on literally only the newest iteration of TLP servers (and in this year's case, only on Yelinak, not Vaniki). If farmers bother you this much, just pick a different server and enjoy your game. You can even box multiple characters from a single PC! And you can do it for free until you reach a pretty high level!
    Wdor and Herf like this.
  8. Iven the Lunatic

Two options: True box progression or live server.

On live servers it does only unlock one or two newer expansions. Currently only Claws of Veeshan would be added for a new or returning player account when buying the latest expansion (Terror of Luclin) which are seven additional zones to the other six. Compared to The Ruins of Kunark both together only contain the half amount of zones for a similar expansion price like anno 2000; 26 vs 13 zones.

Not sure about which game you are writing about but EverQuest does not cost money to create and access a Free Player account. It is now the year 2022 and not 2000 anymore. ;)

Not true. Some items have clicky buffs and other usefull effects that can be hard to obtain from mobs, especially for low level player characters. Many hours of farming and camping mobs could be required for let's say an invisible or levitation buff clicky. Some familiar and nimbus items do offer boni that are even unique.

Again it is unsure to which time period of EQ you are refering to, Shillingworth. The last time when I had seen a regular GM ingame was in about the year 2004 before I did quit for many years. The last time when I saw guides was in 2017 when guide events were still going on regulary every few weeks and months.

Shawn Lord and his guests are mostly talking about the very past only. Years ~1999-2004. About all his guests no longer work for SOE or Daybreak Company including Michelle Butler. But indeed, great interviews and a good source of deeper informations to recognize the past game development and the history of the game.

Only partially true but it is definetly a strenght. Of course the early EQ devs do not were real EQ players until the game got released and after that they might not had much time to play it and they still are/were the substantial part of the success. It would be interesting to know how much the current devs do play the game if at all and if they were EQ gamers before they joined the team.
  9. Shillingworth Augur

The reason I bring up the high level requiring subscription is because you can not play effectively at high level with just 250AA or 1000AA. Once you hit around 90 to 95, you will be missing out on crucial AA required for your class to perform the role expected of you by both the players and the game itself.

To be clear I don't think there is anything wrong with that at all. After all for much of my EQ "career" (if you can call it that), it was either pay to play or don't play. Have been plenty of spans where I was away for a month or two because I simply couldn't afford the luxury spending.

I have however had an ordinary social exchange with a GM that was simply chilling in guild lobby since returning. Was nice to get to know one of the new GMs that wasn't around (or at least not a GM) when I played 10 years ago. It was what ultimately cemented in my mind that this game has changed but it's still the same.
  10. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

TLDR: If EQ is going to be your hobby, then you'll be fine.

Retirees have currency as their time as opposed to money. I would recommend this game for anyone that commit to EQ as a hobby similar to DnD, MtG, bowling, poker, or various other scheduled recreational hobbies. A reliable and consistent player won't struggle to make friends and experience the social aspect of the game. Lower, inconsistent play time folks will need to resort to boxing and at that point I would just recommend any other MMO as opposed to EQ.
    Wdor and cadres like this.
  11. Rauven Augur

Interesting take on EQ, and one I don't disagree with.

I guess that's where the rub for a lot of people is. You have reliable, as you put it, players who don't really have any issue with how EQ is. If you need a group, you have a stable of friends, guildmates, and random people you've played with over the years to call on.

Then you have those players looking to get stuff down now, but are flighty. And so they simply box everything as needed.

Outside of that are those what I guess we could call inbetween. They WANT to be reliable players. They want to be like the old grognaird peeps who have all that content done. And they want to do it the way it is intended, but they don't exactly want to spend the 4-22 years that the other's have put in.

But they feel like the only way to get there is to box and they don't want to box. And I feel them. Its one of the reasons I stick to TLP. I don't feel like I have years of catchup I need to do. When you play live, its a very lonely experience getting to the point where the 'old crews' will accept you. And even when they are benevolent enough to do so, you feel like a fifth wheel for a long time.

And that's the hard part for older established players devoting resources and time to helping players. Are they helping a player who doesn't want to put in the work and effort, or one who is trying to get to a point where they're an asset and not a burden as quickly as they can? Can be hard to tell the difference until its too late.
  12. Vlahkmaak Augur

Join/form a guild. Form a schedule for groups that can target the lewtz that everyone needs/is willing to work for. Out dps whatever imaginary box army/group is sitting at every single camp/update you need. Obtain your lewt/update. Rinse and repeat for everyone in the group that needs it.
  13. minimind The Village Idiot

Assuming you already have a computer capable of playing Everquest, EQ is an incredible value when considering the number of game hours per dollars spent on a subscription.

I two-box plus mercs and will sometimes drag my wife's zerk along. I've literally never possessed a Krono. I can't recall ever camping anything with the explicit intent to resale it. Selling multiples of something incidentally gained, sure, but not "camp to sell".

"No Krono" is a cool concept. Having never played on a TLP, I have no clue how the dynamics would shift.

Well that's just nonsensical.
    Zunnoab likes this.
  14. 0rion New Member

Even in 2005, I could easily run 2 EQ clients on the same computer. If you are running EQ on a 486 that has been in your family for 3 generations now, then I can see you needing more than one computer. The fact that these days most people own computers that can easily box a full group of 6 with all the settings turned to maximum (and really, I have heard of people boxing full raids from one computer with settings lowered), this opening statement is just comedy.

Oh wait, but if he means that multiple computers are needed on the True Box servers? Well, I'm all ears how you encountered that alleged 5 box group camping stuff.

TLDR: Is OP a troll or am I missing something here?

Thank you, good sir. This post here has been the funniest thing I have seen in a long time.
  15. Iven the Lunatic

[IMG]
    Stymie likes this.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Major extra ForumQuest points for the use of "sesquipedalian". You sir are a gold-plated lexicographer.

[IMG]
    Stymie and CatsPaws like this.
  17. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

Add me to that list, except my laptop is nearly 14 years old, and I am all access. EQ is super cheap entertainment. You can easily play all access for six months cheaper than a night out with the family. Probably longer.
    Nennius and Hegsheoshed like this.
  18. Raytan Augur

I started to rant, and began talking about the amount of money I paid for a box of popcorn going to a movie, let alone the tickets. Deleted the rant :). We all know what prices are, so I deleted my rant and will just shut up.
  19. error Augur

Didn't box on Mangler until DoDh and I never felt particularly disadvantaged. Fresh start with 0 krono. RMT bot crews monopolizing certain items are lame, but there's plenty of heavily price inflated items that aren't monopolized you can farm to pay for whatever you want. Most of that stuff is borderline placebo anyways and won't even make a statistical blip in how you parse compared to easily obtainable alternatives.
    code-zero likes this.