Is race change a viable strategy to start in Kunark? As an human necromancer?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Cryomancer, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Cryomancer New Member

In live, I have a lv 66 necro. In Vaniki I have a lv 38 necro. So far I'm enjoying Vaniki extremely more than live... I really wanna the classic experience but I experienced leveling and was a huge chore. I've tried :
    • North Desert of Ro
    • Freeport sewers
    • East Commonlands
    • Restart in Qeynos
    • Qeynos sewers
    • North part of Qeynos
    But always got frustrated cuz either mobs gives like 0,3% xp or are too high level for me. In other hands, in Vaniki, I really loved playing there. The biggest chunk of my leveling up was there. If I start in Kunark, play a bit till teen levels and then use the market item to become a human. I will be kicked out from Kunark? I will be killed on sight in human cities?
    Thanks for teh awnsers.
    Other question. Changing the content of the spell effects folder to use "old school" effects is banable?
  2. Koshk Augur

When you change your race, it also changes:
    * Your home city
    * Your starting, base faction values. (you keep any adjustments you've made)

So if you change to Human, you should be fine. The only way you wouldn't have good faction is if, while you were Iksar, you spent a ton of time running around, killing humans in their cities and surrounding areas.

You could be the first person, in the history of EQ, to change from Iksar to Human. Usually it's the other way around. So please let us know if that's a hidden Achievement or something. :)

As for the spell effects folder question. The truth is, no one actually -knows- what constitutes a bannable action. We want the truth. But the powers-that-be don't think we can handle the truth. Transparency is a real problem.

Anyhow, my guess is you're quite all right editing the old spell effects.
  3. Vlahkmaak Augur

I always play a human necro - from Qeynos - and have no trouble walking the streets of Qeynos or the docks of OT. Faction work is your friend. Kill lots of gnolls and turn in the teeth for Qeynos faction and avoid harming VS faction for OT areas (killing in KC usually disrupts this). Turn in the Sarnak War braids to counter that faction loss if you killed in KC.
  4. Moforyguy12345 Augur

I'm confused why would you play any race but a Iksar for being a Necromancer? Iksar is literally a must for Necromancer. While in classic being a human is terrible. Necros need that regen and without it you just aren't the necro you could be.
  5. FranktheBank Augur

This isn't p99, 15 regen isn't important.
    Aeonblade, Janois, Appren and 2 others like this.
  6. Rauven Augur

This.

The only substantial racial bonus is Ogre. And arguably its not quite as life or death as some may claim.
    Aeonblade, Skuz, Appren and 1 other person like this.
  7. Moforyguy12345 Augur

How does this not being p99 have anything to do with Necro's benefitting from 15 hp regin. Lich doens't hurt nearly as bad, that alone is worth it. Soloing while being a Necro and having to FD and regening your health is like 6x faster than being any other race. If you guy's necro's don't need regen then you must be a very boring Necro lol
  8. Xeris Augur

Nobody is saying 15 Regen is bad. It's more like... It's not changing your experience or super op. Esp on Vaniki. You have out of combat Regen. No need for HP regen
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Quik Augur

HP regen is a nice bonus, but not game breaking in any way. I've had both Iksar and DE necro's and lvling with the Iksar was easier, at 50 there was no noticeable difference.
    Appren likes this.
  10. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

The regen is nice but the real benefit here is the increased AC bonus which scales with level. Having played an Erudite necro on Phinny in Classic and swapping to Iksar Necro once Kunark launched, I noticed a measurable increase in my ability to take a hit. Makes lifetap-tanking a bit easier as well, which as a solo necro is something you will be doing from time to time as your pet is not as strong as a real tank, or even a mage pet.
  11. Moforyguy12345 Augur

At 50 the noticeable difference is that you can solo in Howling stones and FD regen your mishaps unlike any other class which will regen in about 30 minutes compared to an iksars 10 minutes. Mishaps happen often when doing dangerous stuff and having no regen just slows everything down.
  12. Appren Gnomercy

Uh, regen is nice, but it is no way making or breaking your necro. If you lack HP, lifetap, if you are almost dead and need to regen, turn off lich for 1 minute while FD, then recast it and kill another mob after another minute of medding, and lifetap off that. After 50 you can get the iksar skullcap, giving you a mana free lifetap over time, forever removing any regen issues any competent necro should have.

AC is also rather close to irrellevant on a caster. People saying they "totally noticed the difference" suffers from confirmation bias.
  13. Rauven Augur

This isn't quite true. When leveling casters I notice a heck of a lot more survivability when I pull agro from the tank the higher my AC is. However you're not exactly wrong either. Softcaps on casters are incredibly low so a paltry 35 AC (max bonus from Iksar) is more like 9 AC. 12 with CS.

That much AC isn't going to make a difference. Origin location IMO will matter more than 9-12 AC. Even in classic/kunark
    Appren likes this.
  14. Cryomancer New Member

My char as my self insert into the game. I don't have any interest in playing as an lizard.
  15. Appren Gnomercy

Gnome or go home!
  16. TheElusiveFox Journeyman

if your high enough that you want to race change than moving around the continent shouldn't really be an issue for you...
    If your not then the race change is an expensive way to port to cabilis, might consider just restarting...
    That being said iksar necros are best necros. Especially during kunark with the helm quest.
  17. Midnitewolf Augur

I agree 100%. No matter what, the extra regen and honestly AC makes a difference.

Yeah it is. Especially in the Kunark era.

I had played an Iksar Necro to around level 42 a couple years back on another TLP but started off as a DE Necro on Yelinak because it was a classic start and the "Plan" was to keep him as a DE. However the second Kunark came out, I raced changed him to Iksar because it just makes that much of a difference.

I know that over time, the regen becomes less and less useful but how close to live do we have to have progressed for that to be the case? I know that up through Omens at least it is still very relevant and that is quite some time down the road.

In any case, to the OP, you can absolutely be successful as any other race as a Necro but the class plays much more smoothly and comfortably as Iksar. I mean hell, minus the stats, it is like being able to equip a Fungi Tunic then being able to equip a robe over it....permanently.
  18. FranktheBank Augur

You personally choosing to race change is not 'proof'. At lvl 42 its still pretty good. By 60, its meh.
    Appren likes this.
  19. Rauven Augur

In my experience, day one of vanilla. As I said prior, the HP regen isn't quite as good as the AC bonus, but the AC bonus scales with level. By the time the AC gets high enough to make a difference, you're already at soft cap. The exception is if you've been PL'd to 60 and have no gear. Then sometimes you die in 3 hits instead of 2.

If we were talking Iksar Warrior or Shadow Knight where the soft cap is much higher and the percentage from AC past the softcap is also higher, we'd have a slightly different discussion. But for necro's its just not enough IMO if someone prefers a better origin spot or the look of their character. That last one is going to have a major impact on a player's desire to play the class in question and their ability to do so.

Now if you like Cabalis and you like the way Iksar looks. By all means play one. Its going to yield the best results in that case. If you don't, then don't play one. Between human necros and iksar necros, with the same gear and skill, they will pretty much parse identically. The one who is going to parse more is the one who has their heart in it.
  20. Vlahkmaak Augur

AC only matters if one gets hit. Just keep 1-3 mobs snared and dotted and kite all day - its relaxing as all Hades.