Please change 2 true-box limit to 6 true-box limit on Aradune

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Jalarm, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Jalarm Jalar

Aradune is the first server with a character limited true-box ruleset. The spirit of the rule appears to have been to encourage player engagement with the server by limiting big box armies. By relaxing the requirement from 2 to 6 while maintaining the true-box requirement, the server would retain its nature as a true-box server which limits the amount of characters that can be boxed while meeting the needs of the current server player base.
    Duder, Jimmi, Bigkahuna and 12 others like this.
  2. Rcbauer Augur

How about 3? If you can't do what you need to with 3 perhaps you should examine why you're playing an MMORPG and/or what your skill level is.

/veto
    Trey and Duder like this.
  3. Ishbu Augur

6 would make far more sense, anyone with 3 could have 3 mercs coming up here and be a full group. Since you cant have mercs in a raid, 3 with 3 mercs is not really different than just 6.
    Jimmi likes this.
  4. Bewts Augur

It would be nice to have the full group xp bonus though…
  5. Rcbauer Augur

My point remains.
  6. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

While I have no objection personally to an increase to a 6 box limit, I feel that an increase to a 3-box limit is not only more obtainable, I think it suits most of the needs of people who will be utilizing it. With the ability to 3-box, a person could reliably pull missions and tasks, most of which require a minimum of 3 people to activate. Once we reach the era where mercs are introduced, this would allow a person to have a full group, 3 boxes and 3 mercs.

Perhaps the most obtainable thing to ask for in this situation would be the total removal of a boxing limit. This would require the least amount of resources from DPG as they would no longer have to waste time following up on every anti-box petition. As long as Truebox, or a relaxed version of Truebox remains active on the server, I think it would put us in a pretty good place. It would quell the recent malicious misuse of the petition function to grief other players, and it would also still prevent a "Wild West" scenario that has been seen on Rizlona.

Even if the 2-box limit is not removed, I hope that as some point, after Yelinak and Vaniki blaze a trail, we can at least see Truebox relaxed to allow 2 clients on a single computer on Aradune. If we are gonig to be limited to only 2 characters total at any given time, we should at least be able to do so from a single machine.
  7. pIRATEIBMOz Apprentice

the skill of someone true boxing 6 characters effectively without using 3rd party assistance would be way higher than someone doing 3. Its not the number you are boxing that makes the skill its what you are trying to do. I can kill rats in freeport by myself but you 3 box em so I have more skill, see how that doesnt really work?

I am for it, its been done on Aradune since launch by so many already anyway and hasnt been stopped, at this point in the life of the server I am fine with it. 3 or 6 whatever they have already made comments on a truebox change itself down the road based on how it works with the new TLPs so any kind of change can happen.
  8. Rhythar Augur

No. The limit should not be increased whatsoever. Every other server already has unlimited boxing. Let Aradune be what it was intended to be.
  9. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Rhythar, while I respect your opinion and I welcome you to voice your opposition to this change, it is very likely that the change will not have any effect on you since you have already stated your plan is to leave the server once Mercs are introduced in SoD. These changes take time and I would be surprised if any change to the current system comes before SoD (6.5 months from now) is launched on Aradune.

You will more than likely be able to enjoy Aradune in its current state until that time, even if the 2-box limit is changed at some point. This change will have no effect on you, so there is little to no need for you to be as adamantly against a change that will probably happen after you have moved on from Aradune.
  10. Rhythar Augur

You can 3-box and 6-box on Agnarr, Antonius Bayle, Bertoxxulous, Bristlebane, Cazic-Thule, Coirnav, Drinal, Mangler, Erollisi Marr, Firiona Vie, Luclin, Mischief, Povar, Ragefire, Rizlona, The Rathe, Thornblade, Tunare, Vaniki, Vox, Xegony, Yelinak, and Zek.

Do you really need Aradune too? Well, you can't have it.
  11. Ishbu Augur

Why not? How does it hurt you? Do you know who I am? I bet not, therefore if I am playing 1 2 or 6 characters it wouldnt affect you in the slightest.
  12. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Does it really matter to you what transpires on Aradune after you have left the server? If so, why? I am having a very hard time understanding your logic here. If you plan to leave, as you have said multiple times, why would you even care what rules the server does or doesn't have after you leave? I really hope I am not being trolled here, I have tried to give you the benefit of the doubt in assuming your concerns are real, but you have to help me understand. Do you not actually plan to leave when SoD is introduced like you have previously stated?

The 2-box limit has been a flawed policy no matter which metric you use to analyze it. It has resulted in multiple unwarranted suspensions, it was not enforced (or minimally enforced) for a very long time and there is no anti-cheat software available to police it, resulting in wasted CSR time in trying to enforce it. Lastly, and probably the worst effect of all, it has been weaponized to be used as a tool to grief other players just trying to enjoy the game.

Many of us started playing on Aradune during the pandemic when we were stuck at home, because at the time, it was one of two new TLP servers and the other alternative, Rizlona (with no truebox and no boxing limit), had the potential to devolve into a bot armies paradise, something most of us would rather not play on during classic. We have formed a community here, made friends and grown our guilds into something we are proud of. I have friends in guilds other than my own, and I would hate for a decision to be made for my guild to transfer off the server and they remain. We should not have to choose between switching servers and splitting that community, or being grieved by a select few because of a poorly implemented rule.
  13. Rhythar Augur

You're not waiting till SoD to try to get rid of the 2-box rule, are you?

I don't understand why a 2-box limit is such a problem for you, especially if you have a community of friends on the server.
  14. Captain Video Augur

Server merge incoming. Problem solved.
  15. Ishbu Augur

We've been over this, cheating is a naive way to look at things in a black and white world which is not what we live in. By trying to blanket it as such, you are saying playing 3 accounts on 3 different PCs is no different than someone breaking truebox, playing 24 accounts on one PC using and other 3rd party programs to automate gameplay.

Thats your opinion obviously, and one held by very few to possibly no other adults who know things are not so cut and dry in life.

Saying other people playing multiple characters ruins the game for you is less an issue with the game and more a huge issue with yourself. I choose to believe there is no way you are that insecure of a person, so please, provide specific examples of how someone 3 boxing has ruined the whole game for you to the point you cant play

Heck, since you claim to know me so well, cite a specific interaction we've had that has made you log out in disgust because the game was ruined.
  16. Ishbu Augur

We dont understand why people you dont play with playing 3 or more characters is such a problem for you. In one case you are trying to dictate how everyone else should play, in the other case other people simply want to play a different way than you do.
  17. Rcbauer Augur

Seriously? It's a 20 year old video game and you go into this spiel?

Here's what you do:

Don't play servers you can't 6-72 box on.

Voila.
    Aradune drew a lot of people trying to get away from the box crews. They literally ruin servers (Look at yelinak).

Sure some cheated but they only flaunted it rarely and when they did, the got reported and action was taken.

If you relax it to 6 do you think people will 'only ' 6 box?
    Don't be silly.

Again, why are you on Aradune if you want to do more than 2 box?
    Skrab likes this.
  18. Rcbauer Augur

Do you click the box every time you log onto Aradune?
    You agreed to the rules.

Don't like it? Play a server with a ruleset you like.

Sounds like a 'you' thing.
  19. Rhythar Augur

If you're 3+ boxing on Aradune, you're cheating. It's not naive; it's simple.

If you don't understand why cheating is wrong, I'm not going to be able to convince you otherwise.
  20. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Change doesn't happen overnight in this game or anywhere else in the world. I have lobbied for many changes to the game over the years, and most have eventually been implemented (Aggro meters, OOC regen before TSS, Click from bags on TLP, Ext target window on TLP, Increased Raid Currency, and others). The time between when I began asking for these changes and the changes going in varies but it is never an immediate thing. I know that if I wait until SoD to ask for a change it will not happen for a while thereafter, so I am starting my fight for it now in the hopes that within the next year we can have the change implemented.

My biggest problem with the 2-box rule, since I don't box even one additional character, is the fact that people are being suspended without cause and the rule has been weaponized by certain people to use as a tool to grief other players.