I think fast unlocks and fast exp are bad for the game

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Aug 11, 2022.

1. xxar Augur

This is why it's bad for the game , people know there will be a TLP next year. The rate there released is absurd and a server holds no value. I have no investment into a server besides how much Krono I can farm before my character's are thrown away and the process starts over again , with slightly less people.

As for "Gimmics" I understand the want or need for a specialty server , but they defeat the entire point of the time locked progression concept.
    Koshk likes this.
  2. xxar Augur

I do not agree, I have no intention to invest in a character knowing that anything "bought" is only usable for a month or two perhaps before there is a viable upgrade.

The Krono seller's are a entirely different subject that if truly handled , will prolong the life of a server.
  3. xxar Augur

A unique server , needs to be viewed as what it is... A unique server , not as a continuation of the recycled TLP that we know will die off in exactly a year.

It is counter productive to DBG in the long term.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

New TLPs will continue to be a yearly thing so long as people keep buying new 40 slot bags every year and tons of exp/clarity/sow potions leveling characters from 1-50.
    Skuz, Stymie, Ravanta Suffer and 4 others like this.
  5. kengqvist1 New Member

Yelinak is not "fairly dead," it just isn't saddled with crippling overpopulation. People these days seem to think that if something doesn't feature record-breaking numbers, it might as well be zero. The server hits high population every day after like 4pm or so, and you'll typically find 6-10 picks in all the popular dungeons, and sometimes even more. I saw a pick in Kaesora today at lunchtime. In no conceivable way is it dead, it just doesn't have the population of three servers stuffed awkwardly into one to the point where it's literally impossible to do anything that isn't in a DZ or freshly-spawned pickzone.

The reason this server isn't packed like sardines in a can is because Mischief has retained its population far better than TLPs normally do, but Yelinak is thriving by any rational standards. I quite like that it isn't brokenly overpopulated. The numbers in general chat always drop in the first half of an expansion as everyone is out there grouping and stuff, and thus more likely to leave chat channels. It's not a meaningful metric by which to judge a server's health. Check the chat channels in a few weeks when most people have finished the important things they aimed to do in the expansion and have more time for banter.
  6. Xeris Augur

I still prefer locked TLP's, like Agnarr. Always advocated for, and will continue to push for an OOW lock. The last 2 TLP's I've dabbled in I have spent $0 on bags, pots, etc. I'm on Vaniki cuz it's kinda fun and my old Agnarr guild is there. I'm also playing there because it's a quick way for me to experience post-LDON content I've never seen without having to invest 2 years of time on a normal TLP to get to this point.

My "home" is still going to be Agnarr and where I raid, play the most, and have invested most of my time.
  7. error Augur

Seems like most people would prefer vanilla and Kunark to go faster, not slower. And by Luclin you have AAs, at which point slower exp rates would be detrimental to most people's enjoyment of the game and make them even that much more of a brick wall to people trying to play catch up.
  8. Midnitewolf Augur

I don't know that I agree. We are week 3 in Kunark and I am already wishing Velious was out. My main toon is level 57 and most every leveling area is blue or light blue to me now and leveling is slowing down to a painful crawl, also the camps/groups that lead to decent XP are far and few between due to their being so few places to get decent XP.

From a raiding standpoint, it is just crap right now. There just is nothing accessible to do. The dragons have the same loot tables as Vox and Naggy and getting the key to VP is so contested it is just a painful, stressful experience. Also everyone keep saying that the VP loot is pretty much superseded by Velious loot in just 5 weeks so getting keyed is a huge amount of painful, frustrating effort, for very little return.

So I am finding myself with nothing to do expect level my main very slowly to 60 and have a miserable experience farming a VP key. I guess that isn't completely true. Should I wish to forego spending countless miserable hours farming key pieces while competing with bots selling LR for some parts for 5kr or more, I could use the time to get 2-3 Alts to level 55+ prior to Velious launching. Of course this means missing out on raiding with my guild which will be transitioning to VP in a few weeks and falling behind on the the DKP race drastically reducing my chances to compete for drops......hence why I wish Velious were releasing next week. Then I could just skip this stupid VP key and just skip to Velious raids without missing a beat.
  9. Xeris Augur

Crown, Robe, Cloak from VP are worth, and class BP from Trak.

Otherwise, you're better off just raiding posky and farming group gear and doing epics during Kunark. VP is a hugely disappointing zone.
    Duder likes this.
  10. Healiez Augur

I promise longer unlocks and slower exp would make for a way more dead server
    code-zero likes this.
  11. HekkHekkHekk Augur

Selos number 1 of top 5 tlp of all time. The other 4? Selos, Selos, Selos, and Dylan.
  12. Iyacc Augur

This.

For the most part DBG probably doesn't care what server you play on, so long as you play and subscribe. New bags/pots is net new business/income however and you can see we've gone from yearly servers to 2xyearly servers for this reason. If someone could convince the powers that be that 3x servers was going to be good for business next year - that's what we would get.

I'm wondering how long it'll be until private dedicated servers are a thing. Have a premium sub only good for that server. How many would be needed for it to be viable? 500? 1000? Wouldn't take long before someone signed up and recruited more than enough people to keep one afloat.
    Stymie likes this.
  13. Midnitewolf Augur

I think most are in agreement here which is why VP shouldn't be so strongly gated anymore. All I have seen is toxicity out of VP key farming. The keying process is disruptive and diversive to virtually everything it touches and I strongly doubt anyone can really say that they had fun or are having fun doing the quest.
    Duder likes this.
  14. Vileborg33 Lorekeeper

4 week classic/kunark, 5 week expansions after, triple loot and faction, no keys needed, live xp. Sleeper can't be woken til luclin.

Short expansions to keep things fresh. Triple loot to allow people to gear in short time and to flood market on krono farmers. Triple faction to make things easier to grind. No key reqs to alienate players or cause toxic environments. Fast XP so people don't burn out grinding levels. Leave the sleeper up so people can experience sleepers tomb prior to awakening. Spirit Wracked Quest and Vel shoulder quest have static turn in mobs to remove bottle necks. Epic mobs spawning in half the time.

On these TLPs, it only takes one small incident and a player quits playing. Either they didn't get a loot they wanted, some box took their camp, they got KS'ed on a key or epic piece. It only takes one small incident and people disappear. AoN has caused quite a few people to rage quit. We lost at least two clerics because of singed scrolls. We lost a few more because of trak teeth and a few more because they refuse to subject themselves to the toxicity of the VP key.

Make it easy, open and fast paced to keep the interest.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It's good to respect the opinions of others, it's also good to speak clearly.

Slow XP was a big nope for Coirnav.

Slow Unlocks are a nope too, there are simply too few players who want the slow unlocks for a TLP server to have a good sized audience, if you really want slow unlocks you already have 2 choices that answer all your needs.

Agnarr.
    Live servers.

I respect your opinion, but you're wrong.
    code-zero and Captain Video like this.
  16. Duder Augur

Those suggestions sound close to a terrible phone based gacha game.

As for players leaving over loot; it will always happen. It happens on live where nearly every raid item is available for purchase from the raid currency vendor. Those folks just get a little too *immersed* and have a lapse in judgement paired with an emotional impulsive decision. Certainly that is not the case for all.
  17. Vileborg33 Lorekeeper

I'm in a casual guild and have observed people falling off due to no new content due to long expansions, no content while getting keyed, refusal to get keyed, leveling, and faction grinds. It seems counter productive to not eliminate such detractors so people can enjoy the game and be entertained.

While you might not like the rule set. I think the game is better served by people being around and playing and the above changes would facilitate people being entertained and sticking around longer.
  18. rangerous Elder

Farmers go whereever the casuals are. If casuals goto slower paced servers then frankly these servers will be worse not better. To state the obvious hardcore players dont need to pay krono farmers they already sink tons of time into the game. The fast exp means medium core players now also dont need to pay for PLs or epic pieces etc because they get to cap quickly. This leaves only casuals that RMT money into the game. Farmers need to be whereever the players that are doing this are. OP does not seem to understand this basic concept. Hardcore = surplus krono (100+ build up) or RMT out of the game. Medium players break even / slight surplus no longer need to pay for subs etc.. Casuals = BUY KRONO TO MAKE UP FOR THEIR LACK OF TIME INVESTED. PAY FOR EVERYTHING SUBS KRONO PLS EPICS PIECES ETC ETC THIS IS WHERE THE FARMERS GET PAID.
    code-zero likes this.
  19. MustardonWatermelon Elder

Mischief and Thornblade are about to enter DoN. It never made sense to me for expansions to have a 2 month unlock schedule on a TLP, it is so long of a time. But 2 months for DoN? Ugh. It's terrible.

DoDH follows that, and it has a lot more content and is a generally more appreciated expansion. After that, we have Prophecy of Ro, which is another slog.

It's also a shame that level increasing expansions are 3 months. That implies that it takes an average person a month to grind out 5 levels. That is not even close to true. You can go from from 66 to 69 in a single group if you are at the right camp and you are using an exp potion.

I wish the unlock schedule would be based on the expansion itself. They made a concession with LDoN and LoY...there should be more combined expansions imho.

Here is what you are thinking:

Mustard, it sounds like you would love Vaniki. Why are you not playing there?

That is a fair point, and I definitely thought about it. It's not for me though.
  20. Hirbow Augur

Give us the ‘Lozidal’ server !! Slow pace server !