Resurrection of old posts

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Aug 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I was thinking it might be nice if posts older then a set time (say one 1)yr could no longer be replied to. Users could still put a link to an old post if they felt it was applicable.to their post Just seems we get a lot of old posts being resurrected and many of us end up replying to old issues that sometimes have nothing to do with the post that resurrected them.

I am sure someone will freak out about this but it was just a quality of life thought put out for discussion.
    Laronk, Stymie and Andarriel like this.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

For the life of me, I don't understand why anyone thinks this is a good idea.

If the new reply is about the same subject, what is harmed by renewing the old thread? Then, when future searches are done (which is probably how the new reply-er found the old thread), there will be one less thread to find.

And what do we have, a couple necro'd threads a week? Even if there were a QOL improvement, seems barely worth bothering about.

Not freaking out, I just see any "quality of life" improvement from it.

Not to mention the loss of chuckles from seeing if the latest necro thread set a record ;)
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because very often a new thread would serve people better then an old thread that is likely out of date.
    Laronk, Corwyhn Lionheart and Skuz like this.
  4. Zunnoab Augur

This pollutes search results. I have nothing against relevant thread necros.

Militant merging of threads with duplicate topics, on the other hand, is great. It really puts the hammer on the "my opinion is so important I'll hit new topic rather than reply to an existing discussion" crowd.
  5. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

I disagree. I would much rather have all information in 1 thread. If that thread was started in 2013 so be it. It also gives some accountability to the Devs. If they said in 2014 that they were going to fix a particular bug and it is 2022 and that bug is still not fixed, Don't you think that should be asked about?

A new thread never serves anyone better. it is always much better to have all the information in 1 place. IMO.
  6. Act of Valor The Newest Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with posting in an old thread. If this upsets you for some bizarre reason, the problem is you.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

I agree mostly, but the word "never" is really a step too far. Older posts can help give greater context to issues. It also doesn't need to be viewed as a "gotcha" moment for devs.
    Stymie likes this.
  8. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

We agree to disagree then. IMO there is no need to have information in 2 different threads. Then it becomes 3 threads, then 4 and so on. Then people don't know which thread to look at or reply to.

I never aid anything about a gotcha moment. I did talk about accountability.
  9. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I like seeing the hunter threads bumped still, pretty much everything is still relevant but occasionally someone has a question about a particular mob and it's fun to go back and re-read through some of the struggles we dealt with.
    Fenthen, Coagagin, Stymie and 5 others like this.
  10. Metanis Bad Company

I particularly like the necro'd threads in Player Support.

Yeah, it's like 15 years later, 4 versions of Windows have come and gone, 16 EQ expansions, 3 silicon evolutions, but someone has EXACTLY the same problem today as that old necro'd thread!

NOT!
    Skuz likes this.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I have learned a lot from old necro threads. It looks like others find them helpful also and sometimes a new fix is mentioned that helps or there is info in the old thread that was overlooked.

Its no skin off your nose so why bother about it? It would be better to educate players on how to look for the dates on the posts rather than have someone hired to go thru and pick and chose what they feel is an "old" post.

Please no volunteers, we all know not a single one of us can be neutral about things on the forums, not even he who shall not be named who has not "Been" heard from all week.
  12. Blastoff Augur

dibs necroing this thread in a year
    Fenthen, Duder, Tatanka and 2 others like this.
  13. Koshk Augur

You weren't wrong.
    Stymie and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

Alright if I make a reminder for this? I like the idea.
  15. Blastoff Augur

I called dibs!
    Nennius likes this.
  16. MacDubh TABLES!!!

[IMG]

Edit: How about adding a warning graphic to a post title that hasn't been replied to in over a year so people can see from the start it is a necro post. Just a little red triangle with an exclamation point at the top left corner similar to how you can see your own avatar on the bottom right of a post you have replied in.
    Fenthen and Nennius like this.
  17. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Alright so it ok if i go yrs back and just reply to something that interests me? i can see on something like post about hunters and stuff but other stuff dont need to be renewed!
  18. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Necro's suck!
  19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Alright, so now we need to not allow necros, except in certain cases. Who codes/moderates and decides?

Seriously, who GAF? Let people necro away, it's not harming anything.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Or someone can just post a new thread, there is no need to necro threads from years ago that are no longer relevant.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.