Overseer causes lag

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by smash, Aug 8, 2022.

1. smash Augur

I was in south plains of Karana, and was running north.

Then pressed overseer, and pressed active quests

For each quest i ended. i froze for 2-4 seconds.

I got a total of 1100 agens

did on a secpnd account and it is the same there.

It is much the the same type of lag there were when autogrant was introduced.

Then it should find out if u had got some aa autogrant, here it shall find if you got some reward.
    Fenthen likes this.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

3. Windance Augur

Retire all the duplicates and get down to ~ 300-400 agents and you should see a noticeable reduction in lag.
    Wdor likes this.
  4. Fenthen aka Rath

And do what, just hold onto stacks of echos to cheese our way to new agents if they release?
  5. Windance Augur

That or destroy them.
  6. Velisaris_MS Augur

Or use them to max out all the Overseer categories, if you haven't already.

And I don't think they're gonna be useful for getting new agents anymore. The Scorched Skies event showed us all what the new Overseer model is going to be...new agents won't be available via conversions or retirements. So, it looks like they just made echoes obsolete.
    Fenthen likes this.
  7. smash Augur

How many different ones are there ?
    And how many of each shoulld u have ?
  8. bobokatt Augur

I have one account where all I have is ONE toon. Just my 112 cleric. When I do my overseer on it, there is ZERO lag. Not even a split second. ALL my other accounts which have every char slot filled and with a zillion of other things, all have massive lag every time I use overseer. This is not a scientific apporach at all, just an observation.
    The cleric account has about 500 agents... ish. I have converted a few times. If that helps. Again that ONE account has ZERO lag.
    Iven and Metanis like this.
  9. Viper1 Augur

bloated accounts cause lag.... who'd have guessed it?
  10. Metanis Bad Company

FIFY
    Velisaris_MS, Moege and Skrab like this.
  11. Iven the Lunatic

Lucky one, 2-4 seconds is fast. Overseer does create much server lag too but the players got used to it. Overseer is less laggy when the server is not that much populated. The amount of collected agents does also affect the lag.
  12. Bernel Augur

Interesting. Do the other, laggy accounts have characters 85 or above? Perhaps the number of Overseer-eligible characters on the account have something to do with the lag. If you want to try an experiment, see what happens if you create new characters to fill all the character slots of that account with the single 112 cleric. Does Overseer get slower when there are more characters on the account?
  13. Soulbanshee Augur

So, its not lag in the typical sense. 99% off the game runs asynchronous, which means it moves processing to a background thread so you can continue interacting with the game until it finishes, which is when it will update the UI.

Zoning is synchronous, the client has to stop until it reconnects to a zone world (if you watch task manager you can see Windows identifies the game as not responding). Loading Overseer is also synchronous, it has to suspend the game until your quests and agents are processed, which also means the more agents to process the longer the game has to suspend.

There may be a technical reason they had to process the agents synchronously, but that is what is going on, the client has to stop until it finishes regardless of the server communication.
    MasterMagnus, Wulfhere and Nennius like this.
  14. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

I used to end up with my agents being doubled when lag was bad, that hasn't happened since they made it slower.

Then there was the infinite collection item glitch.
  15. Wulfhere Augur

In-game email is also synchronous.
    Iirc the in-game NPC Journal is synchronous (I think most players have disabled that for years and years).

They halt the game play loop.

Smells like synchronous HTTP requests are being used ...
  16. kookoo Augur

i was lagging at some point when doing overseer , i have 7 accounts and didn't really want , everyday , twice a day , 2 or 3 min per toon , doing the agents conversions , until i started to lag bad doing overseer only one one account , other accounts were not lagging,

that account had about 114 different commons and i had about 15 of each ( a little less for the one at the bottom tho. ),
    that was close to 1550 agents ( common ).
    each conversions we need to click 11 times :
    1) click quest
    2) click common conversion
    3) click select agents
    4) click avail duplicated agent #1
    5) click select agent # 2
    6) click avail duplicated agent #2
    7) click select agent # 3
    8) click avail agent # 3
    9) click start quest
    10 ) are you sure
    11 ) click reward

so for each conversions we need to click 11 times..............when you have that many agents . it take hours and many THOUSANDS of clicks,,,,,,,,, for one account . but the lag stopped on that account.

other accounts had about 7 to 10 duplicated agents each , but i had to take a day or 2 to chain cast the conversions, to get all my account at a decent amount of agents......

why waiting to do the conversions,,, well when you have several accounts ( 7 for me ), we don't always want to take 2 or 3 min per toons twice a day 40min or so per day doing these conversions,

and yeah i try to not pile them anymore , but at the start of an expansion and being the best reg xp for the time invested it is almost a must to do,, i am xp maxed now so i don't do anymore the overseer for a while ................so the agents won't pile up,
  17. Bernel Augur

At a certain point, it would make more sense for crits to become rarer and grant a higher level agent rather than a common agent. Instead of crits always granting commons, have them grant uncommon/rare/elite agents to more advanced players, but at a proportionally lower rate according to their Overseer level. So an Overseer newbie would always get commons on crits, but a player with maxed categories would get elites, but the max player would get crits 1/81 percent less times. This way the max player isn't dealing with having to convert piles and piles of common agents. They would get elites and deal with a fewer dups. They could easily convert them to echos or use the reward to get lower-level agents if they wanted them. This would avoid max level players from getting excessive amounts of common dups and dealing with the lag or the click fest trying to convert them.
    Metanis likes this.