Fixed Internally Clicking empty extended target window spots will target yourself instead of clearing your target

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Fenthen, Aug 7, 2022.

1. Fenthen aka Rath

Clicking empty extended target window spots will target yourself instead of clearing your target. Unlike the group window, which will clear your target if you click on an empty slot, clicking on an empty extended target window will target yourself. I ended up killing myself with a chant because of this. ;)

Please change the default behavior of the ext tar window, or give an option to provide either functionality. There is no point in time where I want to click on the extended target window right as a mob dies and shifts all mobs up and target myself instead of something that is on the extended target list.
  2. Gabrieles Lorekeeper

Agree 100% on this and hoping a dev sees this post. I am guessing most dotting classes have killed themselves this way. Problem is compounded when servers are laggy and targets may take a second to clear from ext.
  3. Juzam_Djinn Elder

this must be how I killed myself by casting Nature's Blistering Wrath on myself a few weeks ago.
  4. theonepercent Augur

Kind of similar issue, clicking an empty spot in the raid window will target players whos names begin with Empty.
    ChiiChii likes this.
  5. Fenthen aka Rath

That... if true, that sounds like really terrible programming. I almost want to create an alt named Emptysoandso or something similar, to try that out.
    Hobitses, ChiiChii and Nennius like this.
  6. theonepercent Augur

Just tested to be sure and I misremembered a bit, the name has to be exactly Empty not just starting with that.
    ChiiChii likes this.
  7. ChiiChii Augur

Need more likes on the first post :)
    Fenthen likes this.
  8. Fenthen aka Rath

Looking for a confirmation as the next step on this.
    Hobitses likes this.
  9. Soulbanshee Augur

Sit and wait to see if it gets enough priority to make it into a future patch (and your original post was already after design lock for this month).
  10. Sprooce Lorekeeper

Hey thanks for bringing this up, this has caused me several deaths from dots haha.
    Hobitses and Fenthen like this.
  11. Vynoth New Member

I can confirm this - I use Extended to target on Bard and have also hilariously died to DOTS ... about three times now.
    Fenthen likes this.
  12. Mikana Augur

Ditto on this causing Bard issues - DoT melody running, go to click on a mob in Extended Target window, it dies just before you click, you then click on a blank slot, target yourself, die to your own dots. Either stop the self-target behaviour, or make it so we can't DoT ourselves (in the same way that melee can't hit themselves with their weapons).
    Hobitses, Sprooce and Fenthen like this.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

Bugs like this make me embarrassed for EQ.
    Hobitses, Fenthen and Velisaris_MS like this.
  14. Sheebea Augur

So tired of targeting Myself in a battle.:(
    Hobitses likes this.
  15. Meeko Developer(Code)

There are arguments for and against this functionality existing. Ultimately the "against" won so it's being removed.
    Sprooce likes this.
  16. Svann2 The Magnificent

Ok. Wait, does that mean this was intentional up to now? Someone coded it to do that on purpose?
    Fenthen and Hobitses like this.
  17. Meeko Developer(Code)

Yes.
  18. Stymie Pendragon

Out of curiosity, what was the intended goal for the change?
    Fenthen likes this.
  19. Strumph Augur

I can confirm this has been fixed as per the test patch notes. I for one is happy!
  20. Fenthen aka Rath

I'm curious as to why. F1 is an easy way to target oneself. Accidentally clicking yourself from the extended target window while casting detrimental spells is really telling of developers not actually playing the game or being in touch with players.