Secondary and Third gate aa failrates

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Andarriel, Jul 31, 2022.

1. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

These seem to fail alot more than they should. Someone said it was like a 1 or 2% failrate which i call bs as i have had back to back failure whats really a slap in the face is when u fail you gotta wait 4 minutes for the aa to refresh. Some AA's when they fail just refresh would be nice this is the case as were not using 2nd and 3rd aas to escape combat lol. Im binded in the baz but have to keep the normal gate spell memmed because how often it fails.
    MacDubh likes this.
  2. Flatchy Court Jester

Thats what your drunkards stein is for heh.
    Stymie, Velisaris_MS and MacDubh like this.
  3. Zunnoab Augur

A failure should have a lesser recast, or just slash the recast since that seems excessive.

I don't know how EQ's RNG works but it becomes obvious certain things are weird, such as some events emoting a small subset of players multiple times. I don't have data to back it up, but the RNG seems like it isn't very random in small time periods.
  4. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

what does stein have to do with this post? yea i know its fast to pok almost everyone of my chars have it. My ranger has stein, portal shields and overdose potion (fd) ive had portals actually fail before. But its stupid how much my aa binds fail i even had back to back fails i wouldnt mind fails at all if they refresh in a decent amount of time. Normal gate aa is like 1m 2nd and 3rd gate aa's are like 4 mins way to long.
  5. Flatchy Court Jester

What does it have to do with your post? You were complaining about the fail rate of one of your abilities (which alot of us do not even have) and I offered you an alternative. If anyone should be complaining its me for being forced to pay for a gate potion every day because they make me pop in greater faydark instead of the darn guild hall where i camped. (and yeah the cost is not as annoying as the wait for the two zones).
  6. ChiiChii Augur

what a xity reply. definitely not helpful for the topic being discussed.
  7. Hegsheoshed Augur

I have had the stein get interrupted. To add insult to injury the mage cauldron summoned gate item was interrupted too. Berserker died. Was not happy. It's in the logfile.
  8. Vrinda Augur

It isn't just secondary and tertiary gates that fail. I've had primary gate fail way more often than either secondary or tertiary.

Also, if gate fails I've learned to move a foot or so in game before trying again. I got a second fail in a row one night and decided, just for grins, to see if I could get a third. Great success! Four in a row standing in the same spot before I got tired of messing with it and moved. The game must've thought I was standing on a broken pixel or something. (That grain of sand that keeps you from seeing your target, perhaps?)

For what it's worth, gate fails more often on my wizard than it does on any of my other toons. It's so bad that I not only got him a Drunkard's Stein for backup, but I keep Nexus Gate handy on a hot key, too. One would be pardoned for thinking by the time he hit 120 and is able to move entire raids (not to mention the buff lag pile) to places they might or might not want to go that he could at least get gate to work.
  9. Magickon Augur

I have no data to back this up, but I always assumed AA gate didn't use your characters improvements to the success rate from level/skill/whatever it is, and just had a built in higher failure rate.
  10. Rolaque Ancient

Normal random number generators, say with a 97% success rate or a 3% fail, all show the same perceived tendency of clustering. That is if you show all of the fail results on an infinite number line, then your mind will readily see those fails that are close to one another on the line (i.e., they have clustered). While you might expect the fails to be always spread out more or less equally, if that was the case, then the fails wouldn't be random, would they?

If you have doubts, or believe that seeing is believing, then build a spreadsheet that generates a large set of random numbers from 1-100, and plot the occurrence of numbers 1, 2, and 3 showing up.
  11. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

AA's shouldnt Fail!
  12. Spacemonkey555 Augur

The teleport fail roll from dnd are a horrible paradigm in MMOs. The developer or manager who slays this dragon will become a legend, loved by all, and their patches and fixes will ever after be sacrosanct, immune to forumquest criticism. For at least a week.
    Silvena likes this.
  13. Silvena *poke*

Not the same as the AA gate/ports failing (which is such grr).

Man, I hate when my last gate potion informs me that the "portal is too unstable and collapses".. so rude.
  14. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Secondary Recall and Tertiary Recall are both "gates" and all gates (except shroud gate) have a 98% success rate / 2% fail rate. No more, no less.

Drunken wandering is a self-only "Portal" which don't have fail rates.

Gate = SPA 26, Base1 value = success rate.
    Portal = SPA 83, no fail.
    Combat Portal (aka "Evacuate" or "Succor") = SPA 88, 2% hardcoded fail rate iirc.
    Rolaque likes this.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Tangentially related, but I found it funny.

Yesterday ported my group with Teleport Bind. My chat text showed, in red letters, your portal collapses. But everyone in the group made the jump. Strange.
  16. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

I would say it should be based on cast time, if the 'gate' took more than 10-15 seconds to cast, it should be no fail. and possibly make it so gates never fail when out-of-combat timer is clear.
    Tatanka likes this.
  17. Dharken Elder

Gate Potions... WHY can they fail? I just imbibed this, and while i understand "Casting Spell:Gate" there should be a chance to not get through the portal... With a potion Its in my belly. Shake it up and go again.
    Silvena likes this.
  18. Zunnoab Augur

The spell didn't fail to cast; the resulting gate collapsed.
  19. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Just be glad 'telefragging' isn't a thing in EQ.
  20. FranktheBank Augur

While its mildly annoying when Gate pots fail, especially back to back, you can always cast another. Secondary/Tertiary gate fails are absolute nonsense as there is literally do way to recast it, you are just forced to wait. Really dumb gameplay.