Newbie A LOT of questions

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by uberkingkong, Aug 2, 2022.

1. uberkingkong Augur

1. Boxing, If I'm going to 3 box with a Rogue main, what should the other 2 classes be
    2. Tradeskills, is there best paths to 300 with up to Prophecy of Ro unlocked? (I see many up to PoP, classic, or Live, not many with DoD, DoN, PoR).
    3. Tradeskills, is it true that the closer your trival is to your skill level the higher chance to skill up, considering that you have 15% modifer and have 95% chance of success?
    Ex. 250 trival and your skill is 248, its higher chance to skill up than doing something 350? Is this correct?
    4. Raiding, what are some easy low end raid guild raids that guilds can do in DoN, DoD, PoR if there is any. Like outside the beaten path raids, easy raid targets, somewhat nice gear too maybe? Assume there is 50 people showing but these are 50 low end raiders. Is there any raid mob we should be doing everytime they are up, easy 50 low end raid mob to hopefully move into mid tier raiding from grinding that raid?
    5. Quests, what are some quests to work on for melee class in DoD, PoR? Is there any melee focuses, spell clickies, etc. for melee dps classes?
    6. Leveling, Whats a good zone in DoN, DoD, PoR for a lvl 55 to level up in?
  2. Annastasya Augur

1. a Shadowknight and a Shaman.
    2. There are many paths, and as there have been changes to tradeskilling in the game and the items that drop and where, people have changed their tradeskill leveling habits. This is a very complex subject and many of the old ways still work more or less. This might explain why youve found mostly old posts still intact.
    3. Generally speaking, the higher the trivial, the better your chance to skill up with a success. Also generally speaking, the lower the trivial, the higher your chance of a successful combine. There is usually a sweet spot per item.
    4. Are you on a time locked progression server? Otherwise i don't really understand the question. Noone on live servers is "raiding" those expansions, you can defeat most of them with a single group or less. i raided all those expansions, but it has been many years. Typically the first tier or two will have some "easy" raids compared to the highest tier which usually has the tougher raids but not always. Look for raids available from the lowest level or "first explored" zones of those expansions. A big worm/slug guy in Corathus Creep for example, the Goblin Dojo raid. etc.
    5. Yes there are. Many quest lines that are beneficial for melee classes in all of those expansions. If you are going to bother doing any of them, why not do all of them? But specifically doing all the quest and raid lines from Dragons of Norrath on one faction or the other will gain you valuable heroic achievements that give permanent special AAs and stat boosts to your character.
    6. 55 is a bit low for those expansions. You can start on some of the DoN faction stuff, maybe do a little bit in Corathus Creep, or Stoneroot Falls, but i generally do not take alts into these expansions until im well into the 60-75 range, especially Prophecy of Ro where a level 55 is likely to get anihilated.

Sounds like you want to talk to someone with specific expertise in certain range of very old expansions. They are probably out there. Hope one chimes in. At 55, i'd still be looking at raid targets in Original EQ, Kunark, Velious and Planes of Power. Good luck

Edit- i also meant to point you to Allakhazam.com as a nice site with a lot of free information. Some easy to find guides on the Expansions you mentioned.
  3. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

So you don't mention your server, and there are no current TLP's with Prophecy of Ro being the most recent expansion unlocked. I'm going to GUESS that you're on Aradune/Rizlona which recently unlocked The Serpent's Spine? It's also possible you're on Mischief/Thornblade which is in the level 70 era, but still well before PoR.

1) The above poster honestly has the best answer to box with your rogue, but SK/shaman/rogue will end up with you driving as the SK and the rogue/shaman serving as dps/support for the SK. If you don't mind that kind of setup, then SK/shaman is the best answer. If you really want to drive with your rogue as the main, then I'd go rogue/shaman/bard. Rogue is obviously a pretty lame tank, but the bard can bring single pulls and you have enough support to be able to grind xp decently. Any pre-merc 3 box setup with the rogue as the main focus character is gonna be kind of janky though tbh. Another option here would be to go with rogue/mage/enchanter with the mage pet or a charmed pet doing the tanking. It's an unusual setup, but at least you'd have pet taunt and your rogue would be backstabbing instead of tanking.

2) EQ Traders Ultimate Tradeskill Guide has a great list of skill up paths. If you ask more specific questions about which tradeskill you're trying to raise and what your current skill level is, you could get some more specific answers. But that guide is a starting point.

3) EQ Traders Skillup Calculator is what you want here. Plug in your current skill level, any modifier, trivial of the item you're making, and primary stat (this will be the highest of your int/wis/str/dex depending which tradeskill you're doing, explanation is on the calculator page). Generally the answer is to make whatever is just slightly above your current skill level. Successful combines have a higher skillup chance than failures do

4) So the best answer for an easy farm raid in the level 70 era is just Anguish, by far. Lots of loot, encounters aren't too complex. If you're on Aradune/Rizlona then Anguish will be unlocked very soon without doing the signets quest (one month after TSS release). If you're on Mischief/Thornblade then of course it's still locked, but signets are pretty easy to get. You'll need to complete MPG raid trials first, which would be a good warmup for your raid force anyway before Anguish. As for easy farm raids in the other level 70 expansions:

DoN - literally everything except Vish is easy. I wouldn't even consider anything prior to Guardian of the Sands to be a "raid" since they can easily be 1-2 grouped. Yar'lir (An End to the Storms) would be the highest tier DoN raid for easymode farming. Vishimtar is much more complex and will require a bit more polish for a newbie raid team to win.

DoDH - Matriarch Shyra, Bloodeye, and Council of Nine are the easiest raids. Shyra and Bloodeye can easily be 2ish grouped. Council is a 42-max event. If you beat those, try Emperor Draygun. If you beat all of those, move on to Sendaii, but that's a big step up from the previous four.

PoR - use the Relic AoC. There's 3 dragons + Porthio that are pretty easy farms. Suchun, the Blood Warden is a pretty straighforward farm raid. Theater of Blood bosses (both open world and AoC) are mostly pretty easy, especially if you're bringing 50ish people. If you can win all of those, give Daosheen a try. Razorthorn and Deathknell will be more difficult.

5) Make sure everyone gets their auras in PoR. They come from Skylance: The Laboratory group mission or Message to the Past group mission. DoDH has questable spells/discs from the progression tasklines, also has the Skull of Den Lord Rakban questline which encompasses most of the expansion and results in 6 different +resist clickies that double as great instant clicky items for debuff events. Also there's unique clickies to farm in DoDH instances, such as Earring of Diminutiveness and Totem of the Wurines.

6) Level 55? I guess Undershore would probably be the best answer to your exact question here, but I wouldn't recommend leveling in any DoN/DoDH/PoR zones at 55. Try Grieg's End or Velketor or Blackfeather Roost (if TSS is open, again I dunno what server you're on) or whatever the hotzones are for your level range.
    Annastasya likes this.
  4. Iven the Lunatic

DoN

55-75 - Estate of Unrest: The Curse Begins [adventure]
    (Butcherblock Mountains at GFAY ZL -> Savil Tranquilsong)

55-75 - Hate's Fury: Setting Sail [adventure]
    (Crypt of Nadox -> a shady merchant)

60-71 - Thundercrest Isles
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

1) Plate tank (WAR, PAL, SK) and a support (SHM, BRD, ENC, BST). It's better to pick slightly less optimal classes you enjoy than optimal classes you do not like. (Note: Not doing SHM means you are merc dependent for healing.)

2) There are many options. Some are cheap. Some are expensive. Some use vendor only items. Some take farmed items. The best path may not be the best path for you. Some of the paths I have seen are simple combines but very, very expensive. Others are inexpensive but overly complexed and very time consuming. You need to look at each trade as you are going to do them and pick a path. My suggestion... Do ToV Rallos Zek Earring and level each trade up to 300 in order as required to complete each step in the quest. If you want to do it sooner, there is also an earring quest in the RoS expansion. You can do trades early if you are compelled, but they are resource intensive, and waiting until a higher level means resources are more common.

One important note on this is that there is a potion in the DBC store that prevents losing items on the combine. People pick super high trivials intending to fail and keep making this same high failure items over and over until they reach 300.

The most important thing about trades is go buy some extra planar trade satchels. Put them in the top slots in your inventory. Anything that can be used for trades will go in these bags first, but non-tradeskill items will drop into the lower bags. Nice auto sort. Save everything. especially ores, pelts, silks, powders, writing ink, etc. (Dont forget to put some tradeskill food in the top slots so you don't eat any of your loot. Milk and Loaf of bread should work)

3) It's definitely true you are more likely to have a successful combine but no one truly knows for sure if it affects your skill up. Closer to the trivial means less fails and more to sell back, so cheaper. Some people go high trivial as noted in $2. One this that is for sure with trivial numbers, you have to be within 100pts of the combine trivial to level up your trophy.

4) Server dependant.

5) Do the heroes journey and ask in game during high population play times if anyone has anything cool to link you. Unfortunately, most items become trivial as you level so they are often not woth the investment. However, rogues can get illusion masks which always have some value. Theres a DEF mask that drops in Guk.

6) Sorry on this one, I don't remember. But you can get collection item bags from some ACH. These are nice because if you put them in your inventory like the tradeskill bags, collection items will auto-sort as you loot them.
  6. Loup Garou De loop de loop

I was going to chip in some more info but then I looked at your forum stats and you have been a forum member since 2012 and have many posts (211) about raiding, tradeskills and other things similar to what you are asking.

Is this post legit?
    Stymie and Koshk like this.
  7. Alnitak Augur

Hehe, somebody is getting suspicious.
    Well, house rule for such situations - do not feed the troll.
    This is not the first thread from a "pretend" noob. Just ignore him.
  8. Stymie Pendragon

I still don't understand the "newbie" part based off the numerous posts they've made in the past. I find the thread title somewhat confusing.
    Roxas MM likes this.
  9. uberkingkong Augur

This server, https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/vaniki-unlocks-and-level-increase.284728/ Vaniki

Thanks for you response its pretty helpful, especially #4 and #5
  10. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I had honestly never considered that Vaniki had anyone playing on it that would consider themselves a newbie.