PSA to Enchanters

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by LeetKronolord, Jul 22, 2022.

1. Midnitewolf Augur

Providing no resists or interrupts your correct. I will also say if your enchanter is never trying to do something, be it mez or stun to prep for a re-tash and charm once it breaks, yeah you have a bad chanter.

That being said, if I have tash up already, there are times I have just went straight for the re-charm which probably does result in losing a bit more life but that is a calculated move to get the charmed mob back into the fight faster. Also if I have a break in the middle of a tense fight, I might actually want to go straight for the charm to save time and allow me to concentrate on CC. This too is also calculated.

Finally I will also say that if a Chanter is doing their job correctly with mez's and CC, there should be plenty of mana left in the tank for your healer to toss out an extra heal now and then if the chanter take a bit more of a beating than expected.
  2. Sakuraba Augur

When I played my Wizard on Aradune (Yes, yes I know "Boo, wizards!!!" lol) I kept an eye on the chanter's pet and stun bopped it whenever it broke charm. I had so little utility to offer, it's the least I can do to help stun the mob. lol.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  3. Midnitewolf Augur

Another thing is that at some point, you don't need to add mez to the cycle like the OP demands. It has been a while since I played a chanter but I know for a fact that one of the stuns gives you time to both Tash and Charm before the Stun wears off. I know the spell was below 60 so in Kunark, an Enchanter should be able to pull it off np.

The only time you should need to use mez on a charm break is when you don't have the stun spell. Using mez, even your lowest level mez'es means that your charm sits there doing nothing for like 10+ seconds after you have recharmed it waiting for the mez to wear off. This is why you use the stun, you stun, cast tash, cast charm and immediately your pet is back in the fight. Mez might be ok to use if your between pulls but I don't know about anyone else, but when I was playing a chanter, charm breaks tended to happen most often when I needed to be focusing on CC'ing or a DPS burn was needed. I didn't have time to be screwing around casting 4 spells, (Stun, Mez, Tash, Charm) instead of 3 (Stun, Tash, Charm) and having to wait for my charms mez to break, I needed the pet under control and whooping on the MoBs.
  4. Zerker Journeyman

Pro Enchanter tip # something. For controlled breaks, have your pet sit. It buys you an extra second or two. <3
  5. Midnitewolf Augur

Hmm interesting. I always assumed that since most mobs don't have a sit animation, they couldn't sit. Strange how after 20+ years I still find myself learning stuff about the game. I guess that is one of the reasons EQ has endured so long.
  6. Zerker Journeyman

Just because there’s no sit animation doesn’t mean they aren’t sitting. If you get good enough you can have them start to sit AS charm breaks and net an even longer delay in their hitting you. #NerfInc
  7. Jarok Journeyman

Pro enchanter tip # whatever : You are playing a very complex class. Use the tools best suited for the current situation.
  8. Midnitewolf Augur

Aside from the rare occurrence where a charm last until the charm expires, good luck predicating the exact moment the charm will break so you can issues a sit command the millisecond before it breaks. You would have to be able to predict the future or be cheating in some way.

Not sure this is a fair comment. I didn't know the sit command even worked so it gave me information I didn't have. Also you mention it is a complex class, I would bet many chanters including myself who has played a chanter 3 times in the TLPs now, have something they can learn that would make them a better chanter. I mean heaven knows there are a ton of crappy chanters out there who don't know they rear end form a hole in the ground. It is so bad that even I get compliments when I play my chanters and I know I am average at best. If there are so many bad chanters that people actually believe I play the class well, a lot chanters NEED all the protips they can get.
  9. Zerker Journeyman

If your charm only lasts full duration in a “rare occurrence” perhaps you’ve got a lot more to learn, young chanter. Learn about -mr gear, debuffs, different tier checks of what causes breaks. We won’t even delve into watching server ticks, let’s getcha knowing the basics first.
  10. Midnitewolf Augur

Oh for god's sake, I know I all that stuff. Sure I can toss -MR gear on a mob but not going to do that in a PUG because I am not sure I could get the -MR gear back from the party rolling Need on all gear that drops so I am not going to risk hundreds if not thousands of plat worth of gear in a PUG. Solo yes, trusted friends group yes, guild group, most likely, PUG, no. I also know about Tash and Malo/Mala for debuffing MR and how it makes the mob less likely to break. I also know that picking a MoB many levels below me is one way to reduce the break chance but the lower mob I select for a pet, the lower the dps output. Finally I know that not all pets are created equal. Some are just have so much MR than nothing you can do will get them to be a reliable pet, even if they are much lower level than you. It's not some great mystery only the masters know.

In an average PUG, your going to "eyeball it" to select the most appropriate pet that is in the area, while also trying to maximize damage output, while minimizing charm breaks and that is going to result in your charmed mob breaking at less than ideal moments at time. This is the reality that most everyone lives in.
  11. Jarok Journeyman

What part of my comment is unfair?

You learned something new about an enchanter. You could call that a metaphorical "tool" in your enchanter tool box. You could then use it in certain situations where it would be beneficial to you.

Yeah, enchanter is a complex class. They can't just sit in a group and press a macro key to send in pet, throw a few nukes and call it good. They need to be aware of each situation and react accordingly. If you are in a group managing a charmed pet and doing crowd control, it is likely that nearly every encounter will bring something different. You need to be prepared to react to whatever happens.

My comment was mostly a response to the comments on this thread referring to the AE stun + tash + charm strategy. Does it work? Yes. Should you always use it? No.
  12. Cukernaut Journeyman

Twochainz checking in... I have found my personal preference is just the low level mez. I primarily focus on guarunteeing CC and group continuity over DPS optimization -- and this usually mitigates wipes.

I don't really do less than 2-3 charm groups, and considering the worst case scenarios and how to navigate those as a failsafe is a prudent approach as a wipe will really hurt DPS as well.

So for every 99 times that my approach doesn't need it, it really comes in handy that 1 time -- and we ride the lightning pretty hard. So I will usually mez, tab target the other mobs and do whatever maintenance I need to do to make sure things are really nice and locked down, then re-charm in the last 9 seconds or so of the mez.

The low level mez I use extensively even for regular CC -- its an outstanding mana efficient tool.

Another factor to consider, I am always positioning the mob in a way with guard such that it paths over and I consider if I can do things to mitigate him ever even hitting me, which I often am able to do with popping a fast mez. Rune would be great in theory, although I do not care to carry and pay for reagents like that for casual play, I mitigate pet breaks typically with a fungi stick that I carry -- if you are guarding and tagging properly its more about HP management than "surviving" per se -- that being said that doesnt mean you dont benefit from crisp heals.

The larger factor is simple attentiveness and response time, along with the factors I mentioned above. I have done multiple charm boxes simultaneously for launches and sustained that over 4-5+ days -- and you must consider things like laptops and bringing them to the restroom with you, staying vigilant and alert. I often move the pet window to a main focal point in my field of vision, and that also assists -

I do not use audio alerts, but am not against the concept of it.
  13. TheAgenda Augur

Sick bro
  14. Elemental Augur

I don't think the problem is bad enchanter, I think the problem is bad melle constantly breaking mezs. I don't group with melles on this box because of it or tanks, only casters and priests. Seems those classes pay attention to what debuffs are on a mob before hitting attack.
  15. Quik Augur

Melee have issues at times, but for me its usually a DoT someone throws on a mezzed target then wants to blame the MA who is obviously on a different target.
  16. Moforyguy12345 Augur

As a Cleric, Enchanter and Necro I make an effort to help the ENchanter. His charm breaks I stun with my cleric or Screaming terror if its needed.
  17. TheAgenda Augur

You mean…teamwork? Sir, teamwork has no place in a group!
  18. Gheed Is not reading your response

Lol.

Bringing the laptop to the restroom with you huh?
  19. Tucoh Augur

It sounds like a joke buts it's definitely not. I love charmquest, no other gameplay like it in the mmo gaming scene.
  20. Gheed Is not reading your response

You guys should check out autohotkey. You could keep the pet mezzed for 3 minutes while you do your business.

Nasty.