Ideas for the next TLP server.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Monchfur, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Tyranthraxus Grognard

My wife and I only pay for one cable subscription, so I guess we are not welcome on Tucoh's special server.
    Stymie, Skuz and Yinla like this.
  2. MischiefTLP Augur

Hopefully you also have Vaniki no req level rule or it's just doing Level appropriate raiding with extra AAs. And Vaniki zone rules so the Crystal-Gemmed Signet doesn't prevent you from raiding Anguish until SoF opens. Now pick a timeline, either bore the guilds that are Level 65 with MPG Group Trial loot and TSS+Powersource Group Armor within a week or say goodbye to any guild relying on players who have jobs, spend time with their families and other weird diversions.
  3. Tucoh Augur

Good point

+ "No Level req, no level rec"
  4. Tucoh Augur

Correct. Many people would chose not to participate on that server because they couldn't cooperate with their household. Or they'd be in a dorm-style situation where their public-facing IP address was shared by people they don't even board with. And there'd many ways around it that people would pursue.

It's an experimental server and doesn't need to appeal to everyone. Would the reduced number of boxers be worth the loss of people who don't like that rule? I dunno, I don't even have a strong opinion on it. My recommendation to DPG is to keep experimenting like they did with Mischief and Vaniki and to engage the community to iron out the details to develop the best vision.
  5. Tucoh Augur

I'd play on a TLP where everything was nodrop (including krono, coin) and the corpse locked on death. AKA the least profitable TLP idea ever.
    Koshk likes this.
  6. jeskola pheerie

True Casual Server

- all current AA and spells auto-granted upon each expansion unlock
    - permanent double XP for catching up on levels
    - Free Trade to get hand me down gear
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Random loot & FV loot for all group content & items.
    AND
    Raid items are all no drop & no random loot, raid currencies retrofitted to earlier expansions.
  8. Stymie Pendragon

I believe the annual pilfering of player's bank accounts, aka new TLP release, is the true killer. The level 70 stretch is a detriment, but they don't appear to be financially motivated to fix it.

That time frame is also when mob damage doubles, or more, and twitch style gaming starts to emerge. The bloat of abilities, stats, and spells only becomes worse from there to the point that many don't enjoy the gameplay.

For me, Infected Splitpaw is the last zone I really enjoy. After I run out of exp at 75ish there, every other zone has mobs doing crazy damage for a pittance of experience in comparison. It's a night and day difference that usually causes me to take an extended break from the game.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  9. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Boo and hiss at devs trying to railroad into a particular play style.

Increase quest xp, sure, but enough with this dumb carrot and stick mentality of nerf other xp to force people to do it your way. Go be a WoW dev then.

EQ has thrived for 20+ years on the group grind game just fine. What has changed is ISB and M-Q so they nerf everyting in the botter's path to herd them.
  10. Wordlethedruid New Member

I would do one like this.

-Opens at Velious.
    -Expansions that don't raise max level are released at the same time (this is to get around the level 70 slog that slays too many TLPs). The only exception, Luclin since that's the first expansion where you have to worry about AA.
    -Keep the game in velious era (where it starts) for a decent while, like 4 months. Then work out a schedule that corresponds to how much content there is.
    -FV drop rules
    -XP at the rate of live servers
    -Make one server with Aradune's boxing rules and another with live's boxing rules
    -When your character hits the max level (for the current expansion, so level 60 at launch etc) you get an heirloom token that you can pout in shared bank; an alt can redeem this for 10% EXP bonus fhat doesn't expire so long as the server is up. Only earnable and redeemable once per toon (so you can't get the token again in POP when you hit 65)
  11. Kirikap New Member

Watching my Yelinak guild's attrition losses as we close in on Velious launch has me rethinking the Classic-Pop treadmill I often enjoy. I think I'd give a TSS server a try. I remember making a new char in the level 80 era and really enjoying the quests and gear drops in TSS zones.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Gremin Augur

Rework eq to not require so many people per raid. It is not fun trying to coordinate 54 people 2 to 3 sometimes 4 days a week.
  13. Treeconix Elder

What raid requires 54 people?
  14. Ranari Journeyman

Make a P99 server with instanced raid content.

/profit
  15. Brildon Augur

More like the no reason to play server lol
  16. FranktheBank Augur

lol
    code-zero likes this.
  17. Treeconix Elder

DOA.

How in one thread - literally complaining about lack of population in Velious - can you say that DPG needs to change up the TLP scene because people are sick of doing the same things yearly and then suggest a TLP that would literally prohibit people from doing anything but the same thing they were just doing and locking them in... Velious?!?!?!

I'm just in awe at the cognitive dissonance in that one.
    code-zero likes this.
  18. Ranari Journeyman

Really, you're just going to write it off, because what, murrrr?

Many people who play TLP also play P99. They draw from the same crowd, and one of the largest drawbacks to play on P99 is that it's really great for group content and that's about it. If you make a P99 server, which I realize they won't 'cause TLP draws from the live game, but let's assume they did - it would draw a crowd because there's a market for that P99 experience where players can also raid.

Is there a market for a TSS TLP? Nope.
  19. Treeconix Elder

And they already reroll yearly. Why do we need a locked server in the worst eras of EQ? It wouldn't really draw that many more people. Many of the P99ers are cheap skates who don't want to pay for their supposedly "beloved game."

Well, there goes your entire argument. That was easy.
  20. Ranari Journeyman

Lol, YOU may not like Velious, and that's fine, but P99 is the most popular e m u lator server(s) for a reason; it offers something that the Live/TLP servers don't, and during an era that many players enjoy. If Daybreak were to offer a P99 server with (just) raid instancing and everything else being P99, people would buy it. Why? Because there's a market for it.

(The forums are hiding e m u l a tor from the posted text.)

You love TSS+. That's fine, more power to ya. Most people don't. No market, no TSS TLP Server.

(And to be fair here, a TSS TLP Server is more realistic than a P99 TLP Server. I'm just calling out that there has to be a market for any type of TLP server for it to work.)