Overseer QOL requests

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vumad, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Velisaris_MS Augur

How is it a terrible user experience? If people don't want to use it, they don't have to.

They're absolutely free to grind out a single merc AA a day, spend hours foraging/killing for tradeskill drops, or waste time camping for that last collectible or paying a million plat for it. Or...they can take a couple of min at the start of their play session to do all of that and no longer waste time on those things.

Seems like a pretty good user experience to me.
    Wdor, Kaenneth, Andarriel and 3 others like this.
  2. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Again, you keep proving the point:

-Overseer offers the best rewards for your time
    -Players will engage in Overseer, because they're the best
    -It's 5-10 minutes of activity before playing

The system is bad, because it's overly tedious with excessive clicking and offering no gameplay behind it. There's no strategy behind using your agents as you pointed it only takes a couple of minutes. There's no real objective to leveling the Categories, as the rewards remain nearly the same but the missions require more and higher level agents.

It's the same argument that WoW players use talking about dailies. You only need to engage with this overly rewarding, boring system for X amount of time and then you can play the game.

It's just bad. Players will always do the most efficient path, that's why things get nerfed (Gribbles, Darkness Howls, OMM, Shrouding, etc).
    Fenthen, Kaenneth and Bernel like this.
  3. Zunnoab Augur

I'm pretty sure you get way more experience from more advanced quests when leveling up. My heroic alts got very little per task at 85/86, unless I'm just remembering wrong or it was due to thier character level.
  4. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

You're right, it's just a set % for each level.
  5. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

What they really need is a mass convert agents 3 to 1 is very slow my accounts are in the 1500 agent range and it takes forever. Overseer lag seems to go away when your under 1k agents but my one account thats at 1700 is like a slug so slow its stupid. Why would having so many agents make it so slow? and then i get a bunch of rewards for overseer and im rewarded 44x3 common agents lol. Overseer is the best for merc xp otherwise its so slow.
    Wdor likes this.
  6. Vumad Cape Wearer

My SK only got 1-2% XP for completing the two ToV GD group tasks at 114. I can get x2-x3 of that from doing overseer and logging off.

Your perspective is very skewed. You completed missions during 76% XP bonus at level 95 and got 6 levels at once. Overseer is not very impressive on my free heroic 86 bard when I am picking the task types that are lower level, and I assume based on the rate that you have leveled your new team that their overseer tasks levels are very low. I got like 40% XP on my FTP L98 Shaman using LOTD and I only killed like 20 mobs doing a task (too low for the task, no task XP). My 3box when I still had my cleric was getting 1-2% per hour if I was working hard at level at 119-120. Meanwhile my 114 replacement and my 2 120 boxes can get as much as 6-8% XP for just logging in overseer, picking research tasks and logging out.

Overseer is the best XP per time invested in the game at level 110+ (without a PL). The people who disagree have very solid full groups that are not available in all play hours.
    Wdor, Zunnoab and Skrab like this.
  7. Koshk Augur

I agree 100%. It's a "mini game" that isn't actually a game at all. Every day you just exchange the same tedious mouse clicks, for the same rewards.
    Vumad and Skrab like this.
  8. Rolaque Ancient

Duh. A mindless game which allows you to level a character without grinding exps in actual EQ? Or to max out mercenary AAs? Or doing both while you spend most of your gametime playing that character (or another char) doing progression or hunters or AAs, or heaven forbid, grouping with other players in groups. That works for me.
  9. Laronk Augur

Specially since you can do overseer during any downtime you have in game. Waiting for a group member to run to you to start a mission/after a wipe/ waiting for a rez/ just logged on and are lfg/ running thru a low danger area with numlock.

Even if you're getting a PL you could do the overseer while you're getting the pl!
    Wdor likes this.
  10. Bernel Augur

I don't think too many people want Overseer to go away. Rather, they want it to be less cumbersome. It's cumbersome in an annoying way. Some of these QoL improvements I would compare the tradeskill automation enhancements of autocombine/autoinventory rather than the old way of pickupmovepickupmovepickupmoveclickcombinedropininventoryrepeatforever. Overseer could have similar improvements made to it that remove the annoying, mindless, click-move-click aspects of it.
    Vumad likes this.
  11. Metanis Bad Company

After this last patch (July 20, 2022) I'd be happy if Overseer returned to it's original responsiveness.

It's laggy and it never used to be.

And while I'm musing out loud, there hasn't been a new thing on the Overseer Merchant in like FOREVER! I've got 2+ Million currency and nothing there worth buying. /sadface
    Wdor, Fenthen and Vumad like this.
  12. Atlans Lorekeeper

I agree with the need for a mass Conversion upgrade or at least give the Common Agents a Retire button option like it has for the Uncommon, Rare, and Elite Agents (and make the Agent Echo rewards stackable to at least 100). As many have already said, retiring 3 at a time is just too slow. Most folks get critical successes when completing missions which grants Common Agents as part or the rewards and thus get3-5 more Common Agents a day....and they stack up very quickly.

Also, from reading some of the posts, it seems some folks don't know that the Agents are pre-sorted for success already. The best choice (highest success rate) is always the first choice on the screen from left to right. Yes, you can decided to pick a different agent if you want to for a specific reason (for example, choosing only 1 Elite per mission to save other Elites for other missions) but if you are sorting each Agent by rarities, jobs, traits, etc each mission slot I can see why you would loathe Overseer.

No one has mentioned it so I will. I love the titles and descriptions of the missions and really appreciate the cleverness of them. Hats off to their writers! It also gives us an insight into the devs. The fact that they have a What We Did In the Shadows mission shows that at least 1 dev is a fan of the movie or show What We Do In the Shadows, etc. I have had a lot of laughs reading the titles/missions.
  13. Spacemonkey555 Augur

It's not always the best choice, there are times when it ranks an elite above a lower ranked agent who gives the same percentage.
    Yinla likes this.
  14. Zunnoab Augur

By "advanced quests" I meant Overseer at higher ranks. Someone else said I was mistaken though, if I understood correctly.
  15. Windance Augur

The XP rewards scale based on the level of the quest [ 1 - 5 ] and the rarity of the mission [ common - elite ], and the duration of the quest.

The base reward XP reward 0.275% of a level.

Quest Level:
    1 = 1.00
    2 = 1.25
    3 = 1.50
    4 = 1.75
    5 = 2.00

Quest Rarity:
    Simple = 1.0
    Common = 1.0
    Uncommon = 1.33
    Rare = 1.67
    Elite = 2.0

Quest Duration:
    6hr = 1.00
    12hr = 1.82
    24hr = 3.27

Getting a 'Critical' success doubles the rewards.

EX: 6hr x Level 1 x Common = 0.275 %
    EX: 6hr x Level 5 x Common = 0.550 %
    EX: 12hr x Level 5 x Common = 1.000 %
    EX: 24hr x Level 5 x Rare x Critical = 6.00%

In general I try to make sure I do overseer twice a day and tend to take 12 hr/24 hr missions.
  16. Zunnoab Augur

Oh I was right then, thanks. It was a while ago but my point was it takes time to level up in Overseer before seeing the biggest rewards.
  17. Vekaras Ranger of the Too Long Name

For the love of god, let us submit one mission to do mass converts. I've got 30+ duplicates of most my commons because its too painful to convert them. (Or let us just retire commons--there are dozens of solutions)

To get 1 Elite out of the 81 commons you must use something like 300 mouse clicks. WHY? Why do you hate us?
    Thoxsel, Barton, Act of Valor and 3 others like this.
  18. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Overseer would've been best as a 5 NPC the player chooses (Recruit, Exploration, Trade, Harvesting, Diplomacy, etc) that will parcel the character daily rewards based off their selection. Return agents for currency, use overseer/marketplace currency to buy packs. Minimal clicks, basic passive reward system. Use catchy titles in the Parcel headlines.
    Wdor and Metanis like this.
  19. Spacemonkey555 Augur

Part of their goal is to get you to log in each day. While we the players might prefer the system you describe, management will not.
    Metanis likes this.
  20. Cideral Lorekeeper

Also, it's great that they automatically moved your best agent selection to always appear handy on the left of the list. Now, can we have a one click option to automatically select all the best agents on all lines?
    Fenthen likes this.