What it would take for me to go back to playing on a Live server

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Risiko, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Szilent Augur

No, just the thread is a trojan horse for making hax seem like an okay thing for game play. It's a version of "in my old school they let us wear roller skates in the halls" -- which, of course, they didn't. In no environment is controlling multiple clients from one client allowed, in no environment is "better autofollow" a thing. Both are features of automation software popular among those that use automation software.
    kizant and Oakenblade like this.
  2. Qimble Augur

How will I tab out until GINA fires for me to do something during Shei without autofollow?
  3. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Roller skates in the halls seems akin to running with scissors. That is, it wouldn't be a very good idea at all. Very dangerous.
  4. Stymie Pendragon

I believe that people are describing a different type of follow available to those using software that is more "sticky" than what we have by default. 1st party would be preferable for this type of QoL improvement.

Also, over the last couple of years AF has taken on an entirely different meaning than auto-follow on the internet. :)
    Risiko likes this.
  5. Tucoh Augur

Selos dramatically helps autofollow. Below is a recording of my group hauling through a zone with selos and double invis.

Genoane, Zunnoab and code-zero like this.
  6. Fian Augur

Rather sad that box crews are asking for support in EQ. Better solution is to make boxes unnecessary.
    Dre., Arkanny and Jumbur like this.
  7. Tucoh Augur

Boxes will be super useful as long as EQ is a group focused game with low movement requirements. If you want to play an MMO without that, I recommend Guild Wars 2 or Lost Ark. Or teso or ff14. This isn't meant as an insult, they are great games.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Skrab like this.
  8. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

You'd have to redesign the whole game.

FF14 got to be on the list.
    Tucoh likes this.
  9. code-zero Augur

You're right, if my bard could teleport, had warrior AC and mitigation, 5 x DPS, much stronger heals, I'd never want to box
    Risiko likes this.
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

One way to "redesign" the game, would be to remove illogical immunities from most mobs. No more immunity to root/slow/snare/mez/stun/etc...and remove their ability to summon. That would help a lot of classes, who don't want to box.

Another way could be to allow 2 mercs at the same time.
    Risiko, Vumad and Stymie like this.
  11. Fian Augur

The redesign that the game needs it more players on a "server". When lots of people are LFG, you can easily form a group and play the game as it was designed. Low server populations is killing what makes EQ special.
    Sinikad likes this.
  12. sieger Augur

I really only raid log and play one character these days, but improved autofollow would be a good thing, I can get behind that.

I don't get behind the idea of the game client facilitating controlling multiple clients from one client. As mentioned Lax's inner space / boxer program is developer approved and does not allow automation or modification of the game client. There is a flag that allows or disallows it on specific servers, and when it is enabled on a server you can presume that the simple act of using it won't get you in trouble.

If you aren't comfortable with that, then alt tab or use some other option that doesn't involve third party software, but I don't think it's a good direction for the game itself to make client changes around multiboxing. Frankly a far better solution would be recognizing that making the game impossible for most classes to solo past level 80-85 or so (even with Mercs) is a monumentally stupid game design decision based on a total lack of understanding as to how daunting the 1-120 grind is for a new or returning player and how on most servers you have few or no reliable options for finding groups until the last 10 or so of those levels.
  13. Vumad Cape Wearer

My solution to #2, making boxing easier, is a 1st party add-on for a Button Bar. The button bar would stay on top of any EQ client that is up. It would work like the current social system, however, it would do so by selecting a character the the hotkey applies to. Instead of tabbing over to my mage and activating.a nuke social, I could click it from the button bar that overlays whatever client is on top.

Also add a repeat if interrupt (fizzle, stun, etc) command.
  14. Sinikad New Member

That is the correct answer. At my level (73-83 in the past 3-4 weeks, plus 27-53 on another toon) it is super rare to see *anyone* else in zones meant for levels 30-90, and when I do it's obvious they are 3 boxing or more. I get that most are over level 100, however there's rarely anything in general chat channels either.

The stats on mmo-population show this as well. Supposedly, there are 1.1M subscribers to EQ. However, on any given month there are around 22,000 who play. I bet at any given time 75% of that average 22,000 is AFK. That would mean for all servers, there are probably no more than 6,000 actually playing.

I know we used to have thousands on one server, and that was when the EQ world was 1/5th the size it is now. They actually could probably consolidate down to two or three servers.
  15. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

This gets brought up a lot on the forums, but its met with:

-Make a box
    -Overseer
    -Make friends
    -Find a guild
    -No dev time

Good luck, ever getting a systemic issue ever addressed.
    Stymie, Sinikad and Oakenblade like this.
  16. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

This is known as the "I got mine" mentality. It can be seen in many other facets of life too.
    Stymie and Risiko like this.
  17. Tucoh Augur

Daily hot zones up till current live would be a great way to funnel the playerbase to help grouping.
    code-zero likes this.
  18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Rambling incoming!!!:p

It is true that there are many catch-up mechanics in the game right now.
    You can do hotzone quest, you can do overseer, you can grind in the usual 8 zones with optimal xp until you get bored, or you can buy a heroic upgrade.

However all of those solutions are boring and tedious, and lets face it they are not "content". why not make the actual content into a catchup mechanic too? There are an awful lot of progression and quests that gets ignored because they are not efficient xp, why don't we make those into catchup content for people.
    Example: Currently in SoF, good XP would be grinding alligators in loping plains, while questing fortress mechanitus-access and crystallos key actually tells a story! why not let the storytelling content give awesome XP too?
    They could let old key and progression achievements give a lot of regular xp, if you do it at the correct level(a bit like they do in newer expansion like ToV and ToL) but make them molo-able. That way they could experience the lore of the game and still catch up fast.

Wouldn't it be awesome if newbies could catch up to the population while actually playing the game?

We could even do a bit of rebalancing so that people wouldn't need to pay for 3+ accounts just to experience them while they are still feasible xp. If you really think about it, boxing in itself, is very hardcore, and expecting that from newbies is a form of gatekeeping, that I think does the game no favors in attracting new players.

I think making the entire game, minus the last 2 expansions, molo-able, would do wonders for attracting new players. It would be a more interesting catchup path than hotzone-grinding and overseer.
  19. Tappin Augur

Sounds like you are describing an SK..
    Flatchy and code-zero like this.
  20. FranktheBank Augur

I hope you never use bandolier or that would make you a hypocrite.
    Gheed likes this.