Allow DRU/SHM To Complete Heal: A Easy Balance Change For Early EQ Health

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Shakara, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Shakara Augur

In early EQ expansions CLR corner the market for healers on raids because of their ability to complete heal. Raid targets are balanced in a way that tanks often need to be healed to 80% or more each round of combat to ensure they do not die. Since the addition of MoTM many fights are much longer than they were originally tuned for making efficient healing a necessity to beat the encounter. Complete heal is such an outlier for efficiency that it simply makes all other healing non-viable in certain boss encounters. Vulak, AoW, most VT bosses, and many others require the raid have 6-8 clerics. Even later PoP encounters when fight become shorter and other heals are viable, complete heal remains as the best way to heal by such a large margin its not worth developing strategies to not use it.

Allowing the other priest to have access to this ability would level the playing field while not encroaching on each priests unique niche they fill. Clerics would still have the best heals and have access to resurrections. Druids would still have their damage focus, and shamans would still have their debuff/buff utility. not only would it allow a more diverse raid composition but it would also allow clerics to have other play styles in the raid.
  2. Healiez Augur

You keep my favorite class out of your dirty CH rotations!
    Alikat, Appren and Iyacc like this.
  3. Ghost Of Fippy Augur

Just as soon as Clerics can Shammy Slow, snare, DoT, and port to Druid circles, Then we can talk.
    Stymie, Duder and Terranos like this.
  4. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

6-8 clerics "required"? Um, ok.
  5. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Doing AoW in Velious era without the <Bind Rush> method would be really impressive with only 5 clerics in rotation. Might be possible late in the expansion once the tanks and clerics have been gearing up in Velious for a few months. I would say 4 clerics in Velious era is not possible. But I've been wrong before!

That said the OP idea is bad, keep CH as it is.
  6. Arclyte Augur

class homogenization kills every MMO
    Vumad, Monchfur, Appren and 2 others like this.
  7. Triconix Augur

Clerics exist for 1 thing: Healing. They are a one hit wonder. Why would you want to kill their class?
    Duder likes this.
  8. Kodachi Augur

It would be funny to see just how many less cleric boxes there would be in early eq. I mean even I had one.
  9. Mrjon3s Augur

So if you added complete healing to shamans and druids every raid would only have 1 cleric for HP buff and a bunch of shamans and 1 druid for druid skin. Clerics wouldn't have other play styles in raids .
  10. mark Augur

in group content i always have a cleric and a second healer which happens to be a druid,if i make a second group its a cleric and a shaman,in raids we have druids who sometimes depending on the event have charmed pets,shamans are to busy slowing mobs landing malo each of the 3 ealy classes plays on raids differently eqs classes are awsome and different keep them the way they are.
  11. Shakara Augur

Just because you do not know other ways to play cleric doesn't mean they do not exist.
  12. Shakara Augur

If you think that would kill the class you don't play a good cleric.
  13. Duder Augur

Later on they do get a complete heal-esque line that can keep charm pets healed reasonably. Aside from that, Shamans and Druids have already been given a few healing upgrades over the years, absolutely access to spells earlier and/or access to spells that didnt exist or didnt exist in the same manner originally. Druids and Shamans are very well equipped to heal. A shaman is mostly attent to healing can easily end a night out healing clerics.

If you want to have the premiere creme de la creme healing experience, play a cleric. If you want great healing with a full tool box of utility tools, play shaman. If you like good healing a nice toolbox of damage, buffs and ports, play druid.

But goodness, by all means, DO NOT flatten classes as this OP suggests. Classes have been flattened enough over time, leave them as they are. Especially in regards to TLP, this is TLP, recreating things to try and be kinda close to things the way they were originally, aside from mountains of QoL improvements, some of which include beefing druid and shaman healing to be viable solo group healers.
  14. Dizdemona Lorekeeper

Dumbest idea ever.
    Shemak, A_ranger001 and Duder like this.
  15. Glowerss Augur

Yeah because the game needs shaman to be even stronger than they already are AND for there to be less clerics.

Sick idea.
    A_ranger001, Duder and Lineater like this.
  16. Triconix Augur

I don't play a cleric at all because druid and sham are superior. Cleric is one of the most replaceable classes, especially the deeper into the game you go.

Why play a cleric when I can rotate group heals on cool down, ae slow cripple malo groups of mobs i chain pull, provide better melee adps which is what I am, provide better buffs, and crank out solid dps all at the same time?
  17. Torrok Journeyman

I would rather a rez. When a melee dies and doesn't want to run back it kills groups. These two classes eventually get rez... maybe just move it up to classic
  18. Ghost Of Fippy Augur

Noticed you have yet to provide us these other play styles you claim. How odd.
  19. Ghost Of Fippy Augur

Please. Everyone knows, even you, that outside of a raid, Clerics are not needed. Heals from Shamans and Druids is all that is needed for group content. And then you get all their utilities and added DPS too. Giving those two classes CH will end the need for Clerics. They will only be called on for the occasional Rez.

You are not fooling anyone here trying to keep you OP on life support.
    Skrab and Triconix like this.
  20. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Clerics are bad class design. Should’ve never been a plate wearer.
    Xanathol likes this.