EverQuest II unceremoniously wipes its ‘prison server’ and permabans every account

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Svann2, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

1. Smokezz implied that I was a fault: "Likely because someone keeps suggesting the idea of a Drunder type server for EQ." He knew who he was referring to.

2. I used the same waffly language as sieger to make an inductive theory about my involvement.

3. I turned it into a discourse about how it was a business decision and not some sort of conspiracy.

The entire post was an embedded critique.
  2. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

ok cool man. very cool
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Did you really wait 12 hours for one of my posts?
  4. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

Nah
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

It's strange that a person who did cheat but was allowed to keep playing Daybreak titles for years would suddenly find themselves banned from all Daybreak games. I don't understand why they wouldn't have just shut the server down and only ban people who were detected to be cheating on that server.
    Leerah likes this.
  6. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

The posted forum guidelines and Terms of Service agreement are clear on what is allowed and what is not. Clear violations of anything on either will be removed and users sanctioned accordingly. Freedom of speech does not mean a freedom from consequences.

I would suggest everyone take a few moments and refresh their memories on both as I am a stickler for the rules.

Forum guidelines: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/forum-guidelines.282682/
    Terms of Service: https://www.daybreakgames.com/terms-of-service

Anyone is capable of reporting any post they feel might violate the rules or the Terms, but please keep in mind the decision of any consequences, sanctions, or other actions taken is the sole responsibility of staff.
    Stymie and Khat_Nip like this.
  7. FranktheBank Augur

I'm definitely down for the rules, notably;

Which would include repeated bad-faith arguments that some posters constantly fall back to.
    Qimble likes this.
  8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Except... my post about someone (yes, you) suggesting the idea about a Drunder type server here had NOTHING to do with the server SHUTDOWN. It was a reply to someone asking why it would be posted about on the EQ1 forum. /r/IAmTheMainCharacter is definitely a place for you.
    FranktheBank likes this.
  9. Leerah Augur

I feel badly for the curious person who requested a character transfer there to see what it looked like and now cannot play any other DGB, ever again!
  10. Metanis Bad Company

Am I a bad person for having fleeting visions of black leather and whips?
    Angeliana and Loup Garou like this.
  11. Risiko Augur

It amazes me how people think of official forums for any game is a prison where the wardens don't let you speak your mind.

You are not locked to these forums. If you feel like your voice isn't being heard on any given forum, you are free to go speak on any other forum.

Heck you can even make your own forums if you so desire.

Why do people seem to think that the only place they can talk about EverQuest is on the EverQuest forums?
  12. MacDubh TABLES!!!

No need to feel bad, that person doesn't exist. The only people on Drunder are FTP characters who blatantly violated the rules and did not play any other game on their DB account. The server made no money and DPG actually forgot it even existed until Benito reminded the Devs and they shut it down.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying, Cheaters only cheat for personal wealth and power. 24/7 camps getting type 5's before anyone else.

Cheating is so bad that even if you install one of the evil 3rd party programs (who collect money by the way to pay for illicit activities) you are at risk of being suspended for each instance of use which could be up to and including multiple instances per day.

Sorry I felt the need to fill you in on what is happening here. Most of this I just learned as well.
    menown likes this.
  13. Derd Augur

I wonder, if they had a ceremony , what would it have entailed? ;)
    -----Cinexa----- likes this.
  14. Tappin Augur

I am not going to pretend to know what happened on an EQ2 server, but can comment about a scenario similar to what is discussed here. It doesn't matter what someone did or didn't do once upon a time... Any decent company would have offered transfers off the server since it was closing. They absolutely deserve any and all charge backs if what had described actually happened.

it sounds like to me, they choose not provide CS, because it was more convenient not to. But, really just my 2 cents.

DP hasn't had any direction for EQ since VoA. So I guess who cares really.
    Leerah and MacDubh like this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Offer transfers off a server that people got sent to instead of losing their accounts at that time? Sure not everyone did something worthy of a ban but there are some that would have been banned without that server being in place.
  16. Tappin Augur

I don't care what DP rules are in regards to whatever got someone sent to a prison server ages ago. They didn't ban them back then, then why ban them now? Because it was a convenient way to handle the problem?

We sign a social contract when we play an online game. People have a vague idea with what is acceptable what isn't, but doesn't mean that contract doesn't change over time. What we need is consistent OPEN enforcement of the rules, so we don't have to guess what side of the fence DP is on
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It was also known that it would be a one way transfer and you would lose access to all other severs. Now that the server is gone you lose access to the game and since all games are linked that means all games.
  18. Benito EQ player since 2001.

This was stated for anyone who joined Drunder:

Daybreak is well-covered legally with that wording.

There was a calculated risk if they voluntarily joined (because they probably wanted to cheat). SOE/Daybreak probably saw it as some sort of experiment or charity to allow cheaters to continue to play in lieu of perma-bans. The closure of the server is probably reduced to a business decision - does the benefits (reducing cheating) outweigh the costs (likely little to no revenue, an entire server's overhead)?

Furthermore, I'm sure the EULA protects the company should - God forbid - EQ ever sunset notwithstanding federal and state laws.

As the saying goes, "No good deed goes unpunished." Daybreak tried to accommodate cheaters and now they get flak.
  19. Tappin Augur

Incorrect. They rolled the dice. My guess is they will eat the charge backs in many cases.
  20. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

How is this thread still going?
    Stymie and MacDubh like this.