Massive Ban Hammer Mega Discussion

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dartmon65, Jul 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnothappening Augur

Pretty sure that is the opposite of what they said.
  2. Elskidor Augur

It seems like over half the population is cheating so I doubt there's that many innocent ones out there.
  3. FranktheBank Augur

There were quite a few bans this wave, because its stupidly hitting people that cheated 6+ months ago, regardless if they were cheating since then
    OldTimer likes this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you stop breaking the rules that means you are safe from punishment for your past actions?
    Start likes this.
  5. Brildon Augur

Obviously... if i gave up murdering people 6 months ago, i can't be held accountable for those old murders anymore.
    Silentsong and Knifen like this.
  6. Pizzanomicon Augur

That's a very poor analogy.
    Start and Banhammer like this.
  7. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

You mean to tell me that you don't think cheating at elf simulator is the equivalent to real life murder???
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It is, but that doesn't mean that you won't get punished just because you stop breaking the rules as you see others get punished for doing it.
  9. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

So there's no real incentive for cheaters to stop then?
  10. Pizzanomicon Augur

I mean none of what they do stops anyone ( that matters ) from really cheating. It only punishes amateurs as anyone who learns to compile their own software can avoid any punishment ( which they do,) hence why you see people complaining that it seems like the biggest offenders never get punished. If only they knew why right ?

See, smart companies use little fish big fish logic. They cull the big fish aggressively and just don't worry about the small fish because..... they basically impact nothing ( it's a waste of resources.) Vague threats do wonders against small fish because they usually don't have the knowledge so they heed the vague threats.

There are more efficacious ways of dealing with stuff like this instead of just nuking from orbit which ultimately will lose you money.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why do you say that? Continuing to cheat just increases the chances of getting caught and punished. If you keep getting caught and punished it will just get worse each time. But regardless stopping cheating because you see they are taking actions doesn't leave you safe from punishment.

Cheating is okay and shouldn't be punished based on the scale of the cheating?
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

This is a strange circle of unorthodox logic I didn't expect to find myself in today
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Normally your logic is sound, but this had me doing a heavy double-take.

Known former cheaters who were "not cheating this time" are enouraged to cheat by being hit by a second supposedly unwarranted suspension? Nope that logic is bad, they got punished twice for cheating once is not grounds to think that it encourages cheating (again), it encourages quitting EQ altogether I would grant you.

Either "Leopards cannot change their spots" or Being slapped twice is a double punishment for the original crime, if they hadn't cheated the first time maybe they'd have escaped a punishment this time.

I get what you are driving at that punishing someone twice for the same crime when they, at least according to you, did not repeat the offence is harsh, if true, but you cannot categorically say they have not cheated again unless you were basically in the room with them looking over their shoulder.

But, they can appeal.

If you cheated 3, 6 12 months ago & they simply "have not got to you yet" you would be an idiot to think yourself free from consequence.
    We have limited GM resources & a large volume of reports to work through, it would appear that the system catches up to every cheater at least eventually, and last time I checked there is no such thing as a statute of limitations in EQ's TOS.

Cheaters need to stop thinking they got away with it if they don't get enforced right away, the GM are still out to get you however long it takes them to get to your place in the queue.
  14. Pizzanomicon Augur

Keep trolling dude. I'm sure you don't actually understand the logistics of all this stuff based off your post history. I'm not sure if you are lacking the knowledge or you're just trolling.

Let me simplify it for you :

The guy auto clicking on his mage making 100pp while he's working from home has literally 0 impact on the game.

The guy warping and selling LRs for 1kr and then reselling that kr to the community IS impacting the game.
    Hope that helps.
    Start likes this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why do you think that someone should be safe from punishment just because they stopped cheating? That would just encourage players to cheat for as long as they think they can get away with it and then stop before they get caught. This type of punishment helps discourage players from cheating in the first place.

So cheating doesn't count unless it is done on a large enough scale? That cheaters shouldn't get punished if they keep the scope of their cheating down? While I would agree at targeting the bigger scale cheaters first that doesn't mean that other cheaters won't get punished as well.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Pizzanomicon Augur

I never said it didn't count. I said it should be the lowest priority ( again you don't understand big fish small fish logic when it comes to logistics.) There are usually non invasive ways to combat small scale cheating that don't involve nuking everyone equally.

Your thinking is too rigid.

By your logic people who assault people and people who murder people should both get life sentences.

The point is, these ban waves prove how poor of detection they possess.
    You rarely ever see anyone on the POE forums saying " I was banned unjustly."
  17. Epicless_Enchanter New Member

I had some accounts suspended yesterday and some not, and they were only played on old computers with nothing installed on the machines except everquest. The only thing they are used for is to be my alt box for grouping with myself. I do not like looking for groups as my main source of xp and typically just group with myself.

I have no idea why they were suspended, and now I will have to be in fear of getting suspended for whatever the GM feels in the moment or for people who think its there job to report anyone that boxes as botters. Makes me not want to play the game I loved for many years when we are guilty until proven innocent with no explanation of why we are guilty.
    Banhammer likes this.
  18. Pizzanomicon Augur

If they would just give people detailed explanations maybe that would solve more issues, too bad they don't have effective detection methods, that's why they CAN'T tell you what you did.

People need to wise up.

Guilty until proven innocent isn't a great system for generalist problem solving. There are rare cases that it's necessary, but this game isn't it.
    Banhammer likes this.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And we have no idea what their priority for taking action on cheaters is, for all we know they could be keeping a list and just taking action in waves instead of hitting everyone on the list at once. In the end if they cheated and it finally caught up to them it the punishment was still a result of their own actions.
    Start, Skuz and Nennius like this.
  20. code-zero Augur

It's amazing that you know so much about their detection protocol and yet you want them to tell you what that is
    Barton likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.