Random encounters for players sitting or doing nothing.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Burdi, Jun 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

So people shouldn't be laying on a beach doing nothing? The same for people sitting waiting for trains, planes & boats? How about people sat and laying in parks?

There are plenty of places in the real world where people just sit, stand or lay and do nothing. My grandmother used to spend hours sat on a seat in town with her friend and watch the world go by.

The guild lobby reminds me a lot of a busy train station, lots of people milling around waiting...
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Hey! You there! Play with me or the Gnome gets a rusty shank to the neck! :eek:
    Hobitses, Shanarias and Skuz like this.
  3. Iven Antonius Bayle

To me it does look more like a museum with many wax figurines and a few guests.
    Btw, train incoming to guild lobby !!! Problem solved.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There is no problem and nothing that needs to be solved.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Skuz like this.
  5. Svann2 The Magnificent

I think you want to punish people for not grouping with you. Examine that.
    Hobitses, Corwyhn Lionheart and Skuz like this.
  6. Bernel Augur

From a business perspective, it's much better to have people logged in rather than logged out. If people are logged out, there's a greater chance they'll stay logged out and forget about EQ. But if they're logged in, they're actively engaging with the game and be more likely to keep playing it. Proposals to camp or kick AFK players would likely lead to player loss in the long term as those players would be less likely to make the effort to keep logging back in. They'd be more likely to do something else or play some other game. Perhaps some portion of those AFK players would start grouping or being active, but I would guess that's a relatively small percentage. I would guess that most of the kicked players would get frustrated about being kicked and be less engaged with EQ. I would think that would end up with them playing less or moving on to other games.
  7. Wakeup Journeyman

I feel so entitled to groups that I want to punish anyone who won't group with me or acknowledge my existence, even if they are not at the keyboard.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Do not feel bad about being snarky, feel good that this is as bad as you allowed yourself to get

The OP probably gave several people eye cancer.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Where were you when the Titanic needed you?

You are to be commended because if ever there was a thread that needed a complete & utter derail it is this one, and somehow you saw a silver lining amongst a mountain of steaming narcissistic tripe, that's a rare quality.
    Hobitses and Nennius like this.
  10. minimind The Village Idiot

There are a lot of checkboxes in the achievement window and old world chase loot that many people still want (I'm thinking Abashi's Rod of Disempowerment from ToV). A process (automated or GM-initiated) to encourage and even facilitate the completion of those achievements or winning of those items could be cool. Examples:

To facilitate completion of Journeyman's Compass achievements
    A voice upon a mysterious breeze urges you to visit the lands of <expansion> and complete your explorations you started long ago. Would you like to travel there now? <YES> (Clicking yes drops you in a zone in that expansion. Maybe the landing zone.)

To facilitate acquisition of popular chase items
    <GM-Collectemall> says to you, "Hail and well met, Lilbraen! Have you considered using the Agents of Change available throughout Norrath to acquire popular useful items like <Abashi's Rod of Disempowerment> or slaughtering ancient dragons like <name>, <name>, or <name>? Click on any of the links and I will port you and your group to those Agents of Change so you can check some boxes!"

(Note: Making Agent of Change expeditions doable by single toons instead of requiring 6 characters in a group would make the second concept much more realistic.)
    Sancus, Hobitses, Skuz and 2 others like this.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

That's too good an idea to be associated with this thread

Really does deserve a nice clean Thread of its own.
  12. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Afk players i just let them be there not hurting me. Actually might be helping me if there auto foraging stuff i might need lol!
  13. minimind The Village Idiot

I can only apologize. ;)
  14. Celephane Augur

100% incorrect. There are totally new players all the time.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth, Skuz and Nennius like this.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

Met one yesterday. He was a WoW refugee seeking a better life. I helped to part the sea of some ignorance and provided some needed light and knowledge. I was also able to help this poor fellow with some gear and bit of my stash of filthy lucre. There aren't a LOT of totally new players (In my experience), but they do exist.
    Celephane, Skuz and minimind like this.
  16. Laronk Augur

I go to the mall and other places where people sit or stand around in place like zombies doom scrolling thru their phone. Sometimes in my way.

It breaks your immersion because these characters are sitting around doing nothing, imagine them cleaning their armor or something.

The answer is obviously to add in AFK animations so that you feel immersed.

Even in medieval times sometimes people just sat around and did nothing. Sometimes you just take a seat while out on a hike or pilgrimage.
    Skuz and Nennius like this.
  17. Laronk Augur

Umm spraying ink in peoples faces might amount to assault in some cultures.

While sometimes protestors are trash for blocking roadways and the authorities need to deal with them if they're breaking the law it is not ok to assault people.

If you support the actions of that man you're **HALFLING** trash
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

And while we're going on and on and on about it. Where are the bathrooms? Mind you, there are some animations I will hope not to see, but if we are going to toddle on down the slippery slope of realism, it is a question that ought to be asked and answered, We demand bathrooms!!! :)
  19. Nennius Curmudgeon

I felt compelled to alter your text slightly. Apologies for any offense caused.
  20. Svann2 The Magnificent

It doesnt just "amount to assault". It is assault - legally, morally, literally. If that person wasnt arrested the police are guilty of not doing their job.
    Skuz, Yinla and Khat_Nip like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.