Why do Guild Leaders Do It?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Cloak_TLP, Jun 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloak_TLP New Member

I was inspired to make this post by a recent thread on the EQ Reddit.

What motivates an EQ guild leader? It seems like a thankless job that takes a lot of time and hard work with no tangible benefits. I am interested in hearing perspectives on this.

No posts from Waring in this thread please.

Edit: Also no posts from Captain Video (Waring's sock puppet account)
  2. Magician9001 Augur

They're control freaks that need to be in control

or

They want to have control over the guild bank. You can make 1000s of USD a month being a guild leader on a TLP.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I motivated myself to become a guild leader when I made my own guild. We are now about 61 strong (all alts) Best yet is that everyone follows my directions and shows up on time for the raids. :D
    -----Cinexa-----, Fenthen and Nennius like this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There are many reasons why guild leaders do it, some because they enjoy it and others because they can find a way to profit from it.
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Sythrak20 Elder

THOUSANDS!

I made a discord bot that does all the administrative stuff. It can do silent and open bids and automatically assigns dkp and other junk. About all I do these days is tell people to hit q.
  6. FranktheBank Augur

Please respect OP's wishes.
    jeskola likes this.
  7. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

I formed a guild on Aradune with old friends for a couple reasons. First was that none of the other said friends wanted to do it. Second was because I wanted to make a place where all players could be surrounded by (relatively) like minded, decent people who enjoy each others company. I had to step down to stop playing for a while to get my personal health back in order but I still enjoy talking with them in discord as they continue to push through the expansions. So I guess that can be boiled down to "I just like the people." Being the guild leader for such a friendly and solid bunch of EQ players, while stressful and irritating at times, was a privilege.
  8. SoandsoForumUser Augur

Someone needs to do it, same reason people volunteer at activities they enjoy.
  9. Gheed Is not reading your response

I like playing with my cool and normal friends, thats why
  10. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I've been a guild leader in the past, and I've been an officer for a bunch on various servers. For TLP servers in particular, the progression tends to go something like this:

Day 1 - I'm just gonna be a run of the mill guild member! No raid leading, no officer duties. Just play my class and show up to raids. Ez!

Day 20 - Man, [x, y, or z raid lead or officer duty] could really be handled a lot faster or more efficiently. I wish someone would do that. Not me though, not this time.

Day 30 - Hey here is my advice on how to handle [x, y, or z raid lead or officer duty] faster or more efficiently.

Day 40 - Alright I'll help a little bit here and there with [x, y, or z raid lead or officer duty] but not every night.

Day 60 - Sigh. Ok fine. Make me an officer.

And then eventually it will repeat itself again on the next TLP I join in 2027 or something.
    Windance likes this.
  11. Windance Augur

Xyroff nailed it.

I haven't done TLP but on live its the same thing just takes longer.

Every time I've been forced to look for a new guild I swear I'm just going to kick back and ride the wave, not get sucked in. Few months/years latter as people leave ... I step up because I want to win.
    Xyroff-cazic. likes this.
  12. TheDohn Augur

When you don't trust someone else to do it right and you think it needs to be done, you do it yourself.
    Skuz, Yinla and Xyroff-cazic. like this.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This pretty much sums up most of the guild leaders and officers I've come across during my 20+ years of playing.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Vicious EQ Elder

I do it because I hate MMORPG's.

You're all playing an MMORPG called EverQuest, and I'm the only person in the raid that gets to play EverQuest as an RTS. My guildmates are my units, and we never run out of minerals.

You might think I'm joking. I'm not.
    Iyacc and Windance like this.
  15. Protagonist Tank

Nobody thinks it's a joke. Everyone thinks it's an incredibly cringe neckbeard statement trying to pass for an aphorism.
  16. Vicious EQ Elder

If you're not grouped with the Protagonist, you're just a sub-plot.
  17. FranktheBank Augur

But, it does reinforce my initial statement.
  18. Laronk Augur

There's lots of reasons, some people just enjoy doing it, some are ego maniacs some are power trippin lunatics.
  19. Pappasalt Augur

I've spent over a decade and a half building a gaming community.

I lead EQ guilds to build that community farther because the community is based around 30+ year olds mostly so it ends up being older games that I can pull from.

Overall I actually enjoy the leading. The only two things I don't enjoy is loot and drama...they go hand and hand.

Would I suggest doing it to someone else? No, mainly because few can actually do it well or have the drive to do so.
  20. Exmortis_MT Elder

As a GL on EQ/EQII/Vanguard my motivations for each were similar, but all born out of my early EQ experiences.

Usually my unhappiness with guilds in general and their statements of how they are running and its complete difference to how they are actually run. I figured maybe I could fill a gap for any who felt the same way and wanted to play in the same environment as did. I consider them all successes in their own right, however every GL will measure success in a different way.

MMOs are a social microcosm of real life, the struggle to find those who see and accept the world around much the same way as you do. i.e. in Vanguard my guild was centered around crafting, helping and grouping. We had a raid alliance for those wished to partake. People came and went, many stayed, not because of me, but because they found acceptance and companionship in those in the guild.... And I could build them a house in a few hours probably helped lol. I used to welcome each new member with a crafted gift for their class, bow for rangers, BP for a warrior, robe of spell focus for a bloodmage, etc.

I will say, that being a guild leader in an MMO is much like being a leader in real life as well, and just as frustrating, or sometimes more so as no one really knows each other. However it has its rewards, sometimes small, but they are tangible. And it is that that keeps you doing it over the long haul.

Insanity helps a great deal as well.
    Windance likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.