Random encounters for players sitting or doing nothing.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Burdi, Jun 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tucoh Augur

I am in the "remove save zones and add random encounters around afk players" camp. Get these people clogging up PoK just to get a ranger buff overnight out of here.

[IMG]
    Fenthen likes this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Screen shot shows the game auto pausing which lets the player afk as much as they want.
  3. Shredd Augur

Join a guild, do a /who all for you level. Then send tells to the folks that are close to your level for grouping. Form a fellowship. So many tools in EQ to group that I use daily.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Wdor like this.
  4. Spacemonkey555 Augur

TBH, we all put you on ignore after hearing some of your ideas for the game, so we didn't even know you messaged us. Not sorry.
    Stymie, A_ranger001 and Nennius like this.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Ummm Daybreak has a rule that if you are going to afk you need to do it in a safe spot.... so you want to take away the safe spots? Ummm.... no.
    Shanarias, Fenthen, Ozon and 3 others like this.
  6. Burdi Augur

I can’t really answer such question since it is not related to my topic.
    Simply put nothing.

Generally speaking, i am concerned how inactive many players are.
    I don’t believe that is a healthy habit , and would like to emphasize it, in order to generate some awareness that it might be a problem.
    Iven likes this.
  7. Burdi Augur

Everquest is supposed to be an active and challenging game.
    Not a place where players are starring meaninglessly.
  8. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

LFG in lobby is fail.

LFG in active zones, or a guild chat is teh win.

Reasons I leave characters in world doing "nothing"

-Buff soaking
    -Buff providing on hail from guildmates and friendlist / at soulbinder for rando noobs.
    -Waiting to campfire to that rotloot my mage is farming on other account.
    -Working and killing a placeholder once every 23 minutes, then gating back to lobby to save buffs between spawns.
    -Awaiting the return of someone I'm leveling with who went to get lunch
    -I'm the first one on in the morning and chilling waiting for guildmates to log on in a bit whist I read news.
    -I just transferred to a server and am collecting chat screeds to learn about who's who and what's what.
    -I'm shopping / trading in the bazaar and the character has baz searches going.
    -Overseer.
    -The phone rang
    -So did the doorbell nammit.
    -The boss walked in.
    -Wife aggro.
    -Watching a zone for things. I sit in PoK sometimes and watch for players at certain level ranges to request Franklin Teek dailies and offer / ask for group on that level 66 alt. I also vendor dive and watch for players and guilds finishing up for the night.
    -Rezzing and Buffing raiders on a newly transferred hopeful potential raid cleric making some friends.
    -On TLPs, porting or other casts for cash and not grouping right now.
    -I'm talking to friends in general chat / Discord / Teamspeak / guild.
  9. Loup Garou De loop de loop

Weeeelllll not really. In the beginning we had to sit to regen mana. Yep, just sit doing nothing. And it was NOT fast. This was usually the time when everyone in the group would take a bathroom break so you would see a lot of players sitting around doing nothing.

And we had to sit doing nothing to regen health. Again slow.

Then we discovered mounts. Could use those to regen mana but still slow and kinda hard to cast anything when your trying to regen mana

Even now, low level characters regen mana very slow. And they have to be in a resting state to do so. Only in later levels do you get some AA, augs etc to help you regen mana a little faster

So you see it is built into the game that players do need to sit around staring meaninglessly. You are not going to change this so gonna have to just let it go and play. This is a you problem, not a game problem. Sorry
    Yinla and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  10. Spacemonkey555 Augur

Foraging, fishing, tradeskills, trader mode, and camping 12+ hour spawns each prove you wrong.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Loup Garou like this.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I will ask again, what did those players do to you? There is no problem with players being inactive or not wanting to group if they are in a non combat zone. It would be different if the server had a high enough population and had a login queue but that is not the case on any server but a new TLP.

Lets be honest here, they have tools designed kick inactive players that they could be using if they chose to. In fact they get used on new TLP servers to help keep the login queue down by removing players who are not active from the game. Sure there are ways to prevent yourself from getting kicked but that doesn't change the fact that they have those tools and they are disabled on all live servers.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  12. Loup Garou De loop de loop

Apparently he is concerned that this inactivity is bad for our health. And he wants to bring awareness - guess he did.
  13. Shillingworth Augur

Having idle players whom are actually somewhat watching open chats is a great thing for MMOs. Some players do actually shoot off a tell to try and help people asking about things.

General chat isn't flooded with toxic crap despite having enough in to spawn 2 or 3 channels on the the server I play on. It's mostly just crap that belongs in auction and some genuine small chat here and there.

It would seem the EQ developers disagree with you about that last proposal of yours. When you sit in a peaceful zone, you accumulate vitality which will be spent when you get back in action for a small exp boost. This is the game encouraging you to either log out or go hang out in a peaceful zone to take a break from fighting, you can actually do tradeskills in town and get the same bonus. There's a bar in your inventory to track this and some UIs move it out into plain sight, XP and AA XP have their own vitality bars.

You could hide AFK players in your options, they will not be drawn when you have that option enabled. Mostly the lag I hit in big groups of people is the player, pet, familiar, and merc names, disabling some or all of those makes a huge difference. Even just cutting back from full unfiltered names to first-last-guild is a huge gain in crowded areas. This problem is very old with EQ and it's become one of it's iconic cultural elements. Don't ever expect it to go anywhere, regardless of how annoying it may get at times.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Are you thinking of EQ2 as that is not a feature in EQ1 as far as I am aware. The closest would be xp sharing in fellowships.
    Nennius likes this.
  15. Arkanny Augur

thats the worst idea i've read so far.
  16. Lingum Elder

Drive off the playerbase with the sort of stupidity that you are advocating and you will be right where you are, without a group. And a game.
  17. Ozon Augur

You don't get to define what is challenging or active for the player base. That is the fundamental issue here, you want to push your ideals onto everyone else. That's not how it works.
  18. Vumad Cape Wearer

I can see the benefits to the server to have an automatic inactivity camp but only to improve server performance. Something like this wouldn't impact people having conversations with friends or anything.

Having people randomly get murdered however is a terrible suggestion.
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I think they had that in Skyfire Mountains(RoS) with firebombing drakes, it was very unpopular and they removed it again afaik.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And that was a combat zone.
    Jumbur likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.