Random encounters for players sitting or doing nothing.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Burdi, Jun 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burdi Augur

Last time i played, I tried to form a group.
    I messaged a bunch of toons sitting on the lobby doing nothing, and i get either no answer or something like I am not playing at the moment.
    This was quite frustrating and iI wondered what is the point to log and sit somewhere doing nothing.
    There used to be a random encounters system in RPG that was broadly used as a way to penalize the players sitting or doing nothing productive.
    I think such s system would be very beneficial for the everquest players that have trouble to focus on doing anything as a way to encourage them to be more active.
    I would be very positive about a system that could encourage active players and penalize passive ones.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What did those players ever do to you? How does them sitting around impact you?
  3. tUVDALLE New Member

probably sitting there soaking up buffs or maybe doing trade skill stuff or organizing their bank bag mess. Most of the time i just park there til i play again. Dumb to penalize someone because you cant find a group and/or cant figure out how to play by yourself or find a few friends to play with.
    Fenthen and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  4. Grove Augur

Better to go to a zone where you would like to participate and where already there are others in the zone. There do /ooc or tells. Even there, it could take a while.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Ozon Augur

Just to be clear, YOU sent unsolicited PMs to number of toons in a zone designed to not have any hostile NPC, a zone you have to travel to via another SAFE zone. And since apparently no one responded to you (ie dropped whatever they were doing) now you think there should be random encounters in said safe zone?

How entitled are you?
  6. MacDubh TABLES!!!

They are playing Gems working on that /played time as a weird flex.
    Silvena likes this.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

Let's see. Buffs don't count down in the lobby. People sitting there soaking up buffs. People who don't want to log out while having dinner, etc. Hmmmmm
    Prepared and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Its not 1999 anymore. LFG tool is useless and no one sends random unsolicited group invites.

If you want to make groups then say so in General Chat.

Something like "level 80 beast lfg" or, "hey anyone need a level XXX pally? and others often just pick where they want to go and say "level 45 warrior killing in XXX zone, others welcome to come group with me"and stuff like "doing DON progression if anyone needs"

Oh, your a F2P account and do not have access to General Chat? Sucks. Your only choice then is to /ooc it in a good zone like POK or Lobby where lots of folks are sitting around. It might strike their fancy to join you.

Even if you are All Access and have General chat you can also set your filters to talk and see "newplayers chat" - that is the only chat channel free accounts are allowed into so they get left out of a lot of groups cause they can't see the invites in General chat
    Fenthen and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  9. Lingum Elder

Maybe some of them are sitting there being the third character to satisfy a needless three character requirement for certain instances? I have ran at least a hundred LDONs solo and had to have a pointless third parked just to draw the instances.

On the other hand, it gave me a secondary source of LDON points to purchase dodge augs to sell. So upon reflection, maybe not so pointless after all.
  10. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

So this is what it's come to...
    Fenthen likes this.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

1. Some people stay online to watch/log chat or check Bazaar for cosmetics (illusions, mounts, ornaments) or buy/sell loot (Blood-Soaked). Without higher Bazaar price caps or new Bazaar-enabled currency, Live is essentially forced into the old EC Tunnel/NFP trade system for top tier items.

2. Playtime is one of the criteria for keeping your name in the case of server merge.

3. Some people are against turning off their computers. EQ is not really a resource intensive program. You can keep EQ running in the background with no noticeable effect on your system.
  12. Bigstomp Augur

Maybe I'll get around to your tell when I return from Afk doing things like lunch, dinner, any number of other reasons I may be online yet away from the keyboard.
    If I'm standing around in a non-combat zone, I would hope there would be no combat.a
    (I also afk in combat zones while invisible and I know I'm pushing my luck every time I do that)
  13. Burdi Augur

The fact is that there can’t be any new player on such an old game.
    It does not produce a good and healthy environment, if players are idling too much.

The general chat will get flooded with toxic comments, and people are LFG.

I would suggest an idle penalty that works as a negative level.

If you are idling too much (more than 1hour) you loose a level with your skills ,ability and spells until you exercise.
    I would suggest that the amount of exp needed level out this penalty to be 25 % of an actual level.
    You could theoretically level down to 1 with that penalty.
    I am sure people would be less idle in game with that.
    The overall game would be more dynamic.
    This is also a nice way to address the difficulty to group in game.
  14. Ozon Augur

Huh? First it was people in non combat zones (Guild Lobby), shouldn't be able to afk safely.

Now, it's if you are "inactive" (How is that even defined?!) For more than an hour you should start to loose skills, abilitys and spells? So basically you delevel if you arent actually exping? This forum has a huge amount of poorly thought out ideas, this has to be one of the top 3.
  15. Cicelee Augur

Nothing would make me happier on these forums to see this thread get to ten pages. The posts to follow could be comedy gold.

BTW this is not a good idea.
    Kialya likes this.
  16. TheStugots Augur

This is f’n stupid.
    Celephane, Ozon, Wdor and 1 other person like this.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I may be sat around looking like I'm doing nothing but that doesn't mean I am.

Sometimes I just log in to chat, sometimes I log in to look at my gear and research where I need to go to get upgrades, sometimes I'm looking up what I need to do to get achievements or what quests I still need to finish. I could be looking up where to get my next collectable. I could be looking at the junk in my bags trying to work out what I can delete without getting rid of something I need. Or the most common one doing Overseer.

Or it could simply be that I tabbed out to look something up, got distracted and forgot I was logged in. :rolleyes: I do this more than I care to admit.

Just because I don't want to group or not moving doesn't mean I'm not doing something.

I do all of the above in either the Guild Hall, Guild Lobby or Plane of Knowledge where I have no risk of being attacked and accused of AFK play. To penalise anyone for not doing anything in these areas is wrong.
    Tallie, Silvena, Wdor and 1 other person like this.
  18. Iven Antonius Bayle

19. Svann2 The Magnificent

lobby: a corridor or hall connected with a larger room or series of rooms and used as a passageway or waiting room
    Nennius, Silvena and CatsPaws like this.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What did they ever do to you to make you so mad about players who are afk or inactive?
    Corwyhn Lionheart and code-zero like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.