Boxers, why play on TLP rather than live?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Bernel, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Risiko Augur

I know it's been said by others in this thread, but I just want to reiterate that for me, I boxed on TLP servers in the past for a couple reasons.

1. It allowed me to get groups for my less desirable classes if I had a desirable class I was also playing (example, my rogue got groups all the time because I also had a cleric)
    2. Sometimes I just wanted to do my own thing with out having to bother anyone else. A lot of times, this involved play sessions where I knew I was going to be going afk often to do chores around the house and such. That would have really annoyed groups if I was intermittently afk a lot
    3. And as for the WHY TLP over LIVE... I prefer EverQuest circa 1999-2000 content, and no. Playing that content on a Live server is not the same thing
    Bernel, Brildon and Gheed like this.
  2. Nolrog Augur

What a concept. . . .
  3. Nessirfiti Augur

Snarky answer? Because it annoys the crap out of anti-boxers.

Real answer? I started out on TLPs only playing one. I also tend to gravitate towards smaller guilds, and they needed a cleric, so I started a cleric. Then we needed more DPS around Luclin, so a ranger was born. Then by the power of momentum I started trueboxing 5, doing my best impression of an octopus.

The next TLP I tried to go back to 1 character, and Holy crap is EQ boring with only one character. I won't do more than 6, though. I'm not bad, but I've started getting slower in my old age.
  4. Stymie Pendragon

I've seen a few people say this since I came back in 2016, and I just don't understand why people think this way.

Low to mid level groups are nearly extinct on live.

Without mercs this game would've likely shut down around the time they were added. The company was financially incentivized to do the work.

I came back and started fresh on FV for the bonus exp and free trade. I made a Mage and I soloed until the mid 30's or so where I ran into a wall. I needed more healing to keep my pet up while I burned the mobs down.

Without a healer merc I would've most likely quit. Past PoP it would have been nearly impossible to keep leveling up. The NPC damage goes up dramatically around that time.

There are no groups on live until nearly max level, period. That's over 100 levels of group content to attempt to solo through, even with a merc, and it's also a big reason why so many people box on live. However, a lot of the grouping problems on live don't happen on a TLP.
    Genoane likes this.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

I took Phinny all the way to live. I doubt I'll ever do it again but it was something I wanted to accomplish.
  6. Noobnoob Journeyman

I play monk/bard, cleric/magician, and shaman/warrior... why? Because I can and it makes the experience easier and more enjoyable. I don't do anything extravagant on my box character, but having the buffs and heals means less downtime and more leveling plain and simple. Time progresses and as a result so do game players. Evolution says everyone will be boxxing in ten years.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

Clearly you didn't read the thread before posting. Either that or you're Magician9001 on a different account.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

How do you know? Do you think you would notice if someone is one, two, or three boxing? And don't tell me it's obvious and you can tell right away. You imagine things, sure. But that isn't proof.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You claim to box entire groups, how could mercs have killed live for you?