Baz price scripts are getting out of hand

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sindace, Sep 28, 2019.

1. I-WANT-IT-NOW Augur

At this point you are just trolling. You can test this hundreds of times once you find their interval. At any random time for any random item they have. Once, twice even 5 times maybe they were just there and just happened to be checking that item. 500 times like clock work at random times throughout the day and swapping changes to which items they have an its 100% proof of automated updating.

Enjoy displaying your dull tools.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And as I said you can have suspicions of what they are doing but you can't prove it. If you are able to "test" them to find out how often prices are being updated it is also possible for them to be doing that manually.
  3. I-WANT-IT-NOW Augur

Its not humanly possible so keep showing everyone how dull your tools are. No human being can exactly update on some interval for every or any item they have for sale 24/7. Its 100% proof if you test it enough times randomly.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why do you keep insisting that you can prove something when you can't know what is on the other side and what the person at the computer is doing?
  5. Laronk Augur

Yeah so the problem is hopefully going to be reduced if Daybreak follows the roadmap and starts doing this line item:

• Anti-Cheat Improvements
    Though so far as I can tell they just one week vacations for some people but it's a start.

I don't name anyone and it's not a super big problem for me because like I said I just sell my stuff super cheap anyways or I find what's popular in /buyer if I've made a new character on a new server.

This is actually mostly a problem for people who enjoy the bazaar, if anything bazaar automation mostly just means cheaper prices for me on common items such as tradeskill stuff because it makes people update their prices more often.
  6. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Yes... because a human will undercut 10 different items EVERY single time by exactly the same percentage, and within an hour no matter what time of day you happen to update prices. Multiple people watching the same person do it, updating prices at all times of day. Nah, no obvious automation was happening.

That said, it does seem that Daybreak has cracked down on them finally.

And to those that think it would be hard to detect... give your head a shake. If a bazaar character is checking the prices of items at all hours of the day, every single day of the week... it's very obvious automation is going on. People aren't awake 24/7. Price checks could simply be logged on the server side when they're done and a quick parse of times would point out who's doing it (that and detecting the software itself).
    Stymie and kizant like this.
  7. Loup Garou De loop de loop

This is so silly. Arguing over how people play with pixels.

Just set a price that you are happy with it selling at and then go offline. Its ok if someone else buys it and resells it for more - you got what you wanted.

The problem is greed. On both ends.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It isn't that hard to check up on something once an hour and make changes. Sure it may appear to be obvious what is happening but you don't have any direct evidence that is what is happening. There is no way to determine if a change was done by automation or manually done.
  9. Smokezz The Bane Crew

LOL. And when you see a group that's obviously automated... you know the characters run back to the exact same spot after every single mob dies, they sit down. New mob comes, the melee all run to the back of the mob and stick there like glue... then run back to the exact same spot to sit again. Do you say WELP! can't prove a damn thing, this isn't automated. You've flipped a coin and decided to argue "this might not be automation" despite the fact there are very OBVIOUS automators in the bazaar. You really think people are up every hour, 24 hours a day updating prices... every day of the week? Ridiculous.
    Stymie and Schadenfreude like this.
  10. Laronk Augur

No there's a problem of fair play. Just like people who automate their game play in their group doing instances 24/7 does not directly effect my gameplay. Even the ones who sit in open zones don't but they cause a bunch of inflation thru plat and vendor fodder in the in game market they make a lot more items drop that wouldn't otherwise drop reducing our ability to participate in the market.

Automation in the bazaar isn't fair play, it's not greed on both (well some of the examples might be). Is your contention that the players not using miraclewhip should just also use it and also automate their baz?

A SOLUTION!!! I do have one, we could just have an updated trader client that would let us set min and max prices which would reduce most of the advantage that the "bots" are perceived to have but it does hurt the player who actually plays and enjoys the bazaar.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Being able to prove that someone is changing prices with automation and someone is using a cheat program to automate a group are different issues. Also there are things that can be done by the GM's/Devs to gather more evidence about cheating then how often someone updates their prices in the bazaar.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Set min and max prices? Wont that just end up with people selling things for the min price as others keep lowering theirs so they get the lowest price on the market?
  13. Shillingworth Augur

We call collecting enough evidence to prove something without having to observe it, "beyond a reasonable doubt". The logic that "you don't know, you weren't there" never holds up very well to scrutiny. Usually the sort of thing you hear from someone trying to evade suspicion after they believe they have been found out.
  14. Laronk Augur

That's all the bazaar bots do, auto lower their prices till they hit what their "minimum" is. I just again personally sell close to my minimum anyways but if people are concerned that other people auto undercut them then just giving all players the same tool kinda solves the problem. Once there's no competing sellers at your price the price jumps back up.

Really its also what players do when they manually adjust their prices, they have a minimum in mind. If you play the bazaar and someone sells below your minimum and you have the plat you should just buy them out.

Lets say you're selling blue diamonds in the bazaar your minimum is going to be something above vendor price I would assume and your maximum is say 500 plat heck if no one else has them listed you could list them at 1k. People who are doing tradeskills often will just buy at what ever price.

I was just thinking of an idea to solve the issue where some people are using bots to do the same thing, though it might not be worth the effort for the devs or the EQ client might have to make too many calls to the server to check things and cause lag. Sometimes bazaar searches are already slow so it might be a bad idea.

Just an idea really.
  15. Svann2 The Magnificent

As it should be.
    said every buyer
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And people can't be updating prices in a similar method to how you are gathering the evidence? Just because prices are being updated doesn't mean it is automated and a post needs to be made about it.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

All this would do is change how the bots you are complaining about work, once your min price is hit they can just change the price again and keep undercutting you.
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

First, it wasnt me complaining.
    Secondly, bot or not if someone has a minimum price lower than yours then they deserve the sale. If he can reduce his price why cant you?
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I agree with you, I don't see this as a major problem. And if you have people auto lowering the price you can get a lower price to lower how much they make.
  20. Laronk Augur

Not if you set your min price at what you think your min price is. Honestly the bot is just reading a notepad file with item name, max price, min price. At that point you'd have the exact same tools the bot has and have nothing to talk about. All I am saying is give all the players the same tool that the original complaint in this thread is about.

It's a chore to update prices in the eq bazaar.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.