Baz price scripts are getting out of hand

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sindace, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Metanis Bad Company

Because Accendo had to approve the post since it was a brand new forum account. Look at the tag, "last edited by Accendo".
  2. Loup Garou De loop de loop

It was not meant how you took it.

But that aside. He many be a new member but has had the account since 2016 and yes I understand it is number of posts based but CL does not always edit new posts from new members.

If you bother to go back to my first post you will see there is no edit from Accendo on it
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

LOL. Good one good one... that was a joke right?
    Nennius likes this.
  4. uberkingkong Augur

Agreed, especially with work from home, easy to check prices and undercut.
    Only reason people recognizing this is because they undercut them too. Its a two way street, they undercut you and you undercut back. Why should only one person be allowed to undercut and drive prices down?
  5. Laronk Augur

LOL, BUT YOU UNDERCUT ME FIRST! so it's alright to that meta guy that the bots can automatically without interaction undercut you less than 5 minutes later. This guy probably won't respond to you though corwyhn =( that post was from 2019. He probably runs a baz bot.

Really one of my biggest problems with the bazaar is the UI sucks and it's so slow it takes so long for us normal players to list items to sell and then we have to leave our paid account standing in that spot instead of playing. So most players aren't updating their sell lists constantly because if they were sitting at the game playing they'd probably be out playing the game, not sitting in the bazaar.

I dream of a day where there's a wow or modern style auction house.

Really I wouldn't mind as much if I could use a FTP account or pay a 1 time fee on an account to unlock the baz and barter. The only reason why some of these accounts are able to sell all the time is that they're automated and per month they sell and buy more than enough to "earn" a krono so they keep 1-2 (sometimes more) accounts up to live barter/trade all day long all the time.

The automation in the bazaar really is an issue because it's hard to "compete" with them, I do buy stuff from the bazaar but it's so much work to sell stuff in the baz. The only things I sell are normally stuff I see people buying on /trader I will go list in the bazaar halfway between the trader buy price and the baz sell price.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  6. Laronk Augur

It's the automated undercutting that is the issue, not undercutting itself. Do you know how long it takes to manually check the 100 items you have for sale and reprice them manually? The UI is slow, search isnt super fast. then you have to actually type to update your price.

Undercutting players is fine, undercut them as much as you want they can just buy you out if you go low enough. The only problem in this thread is the automation of that undercutting by marginal amounts.
    Nennius likes this.
  7. uberkingkong Augur

Automation?
    Are you witnessing this?
    If so, videos or it didn't happen.

All you need to do is hide the traders name put a window on top it.
    Undercut them, show them undercutting you right back in a split second.

Then you report it because in this game automation while away is not allowed.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How do you determine that someone is automated the process and someone else hasn't?
  9. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Personally i dont think they can detect these scripter programs or app or whatever they use but yea there pretty annoying. I was on buyer and had a higher buy price and 4 other at the exact same time like 30 seconds after i set my price all went up at the same time i said screw this lol went back to seller haha.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Because most dont wanna play fair. You put at the same price and they will undercut you! But ive gotten used to it you wanna keep undercutting me your not gonna make much pp lol.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you can check and see what others are pricing their items at manually why do you think others are not. Just because someone adjusted their prices after you changed your doesn't mean it is a script doing it.
  12. I-WANT-IT-NOW Augur

Because once you figure out their update interval you can clearly see 24/7 they will update after that time. No way someone is so precise on monitoring their prices manually 24 hrs a day.

Say they have 8 collects and their update interval is 30s. Pick a set where you can search all 8 at once. If you match or undercut them 30s later all their prices are adjusted. Pick one of the set at random, 30s later updated. You can do this 25 random times throughout the day and every time 30s later updated. No person is sitting there monitoring 24/7 to manually adjust every item they have. They can have 40 things for sale and like clockwork if you pick anyone at random 30s later (or whatever their update interval is) and it updates. Its simply not possible to manually do that perfectly for every item any time of day always.

Undercutting is the nature of the game but automating it should not be allowed. Ban them!
    Stymie and Laronk like this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You are able to watch them at that interval but they are not able to update it at that interval? Sure you can have suspicions of automation but you can't prove it.
  14. Sobmre Augur

i once noticed a bot doing this to some illusions i had. undercutting me by about 500 pp ........ lets just say i got some decent illusions for about 1k pp ..... if you pay attention you can beat them.
  15. Svann2 The Magnificent

An investment counselor would tell you not to try to time the market. Thats slightly OT but there is truth to it even in this context. Your complaint that their ability to quickly undercut you implies that you were hoping that you would have X hours to sell at your price point before anyone noticed and undercut you. Thats the wrong way to do business. Dont even try to use timing. Price your product at a point where they wont want to undercut you. Then you have all the time in the world.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And if they undercut you at a good enough value you can always buy them out and put them up for sale at the price you want.
  17. Laronk Augur

I think is no question that these bots do in fact exist. Do you not believe that there are people who use bots to sell stuff in the bazaar?

Oh we can't reasonably say who is and who is not using the bots in the bazaar. This isn't a woe is me they undercut me, I hate selling in the bazaar I normally sell 50% lower than the next person just to unload because it takes so much time and I don't enjoy the bazaar. If someone undercuts me I just drop 50% lower the next time I bother to check prices.

The more well put together bots actually set their timers at 60 or more minutes (they can choose their repricing interval and randomize it). The bad bots can will update their prices within minutes regardless of the time of day. We do know there are bazaar bots, you can go on the sites in question and see the thing they use. You can't reasonably detect any of them except for the most blatant and even then you wouldn't be able to prove it (with the exception of the very few which will actually go well below market price because they're poorly setup but again they could just be bad players).

This is more on the dev team to actually detect third party programs, not about players policing them.
  18. Laronk Augur

Almost every thing the programs can do and do do can be done by a player, they could be actually watching you, reporting bazaar bots is a waste of time and some of them could be legit players who actually constantly are searching every item they're selling and updating as fast as possible.

Do you think the players who 24/7 automate their groups don't also 24/7 automate their bazaar bot? Or do you think that players don't 24/7 automate anything in everquest because it's against the rules?

Sure you can report the groups when you do see them, but bazaar bots are not worth reporting
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I never said otherwise, just that you can't determine if someone is using a bot or not based on them changing the prices of items for sale. Sure you can get a suspicion of them doing that but nothing solid to prove it.
  20. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Of course not, friends had a fully automated /baz bot team on the TLPs not a single suspension or ban since this has been running.

Friend even did a fully automated EC tunnel trader that accepts parcels and trades all day based on a min / max best bot ever for mischief before /baz.

Do people bot of course, but it's next to impossible to catch and sometimes at least on a TLP you can catch a terrible script and clean them out.
    Laronk likes this.