Seriously guys? Mercenary names

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Leerah, Jun 10, 2022.

1. Leerah Augur

I thought I was hallucinating from my fever when I logged in my favorite enchanter and her dark elf male's mercenary's name was now Keular! I worked, dismissing mercs for hours, to get the name Kiler, which I've had for almost a decade!
    WHY in the goddesses' names would you go around changing mercenary names? This is like all the other random things you do just to piss us off. Admit it. You just like to make us angry.
  2. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

When all this time, could have taken the 500 free SC/DBC and just ensured it was permanent.
    RPoo, Hobitses, minimind and 6 others like this.
  3. Leerah Augur

The one I paid for on another toon, "Killer," was untouched. Is there someone searching their databases for names that they can get money for? Seriously?
  4. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I don't know how merc naming works. I don't know if multiple people can have the same name for a merc. I figured Merc names were just given out similar to pet names. Did the Ench have a J5/A5 merc before the last patch? Did the name change happen just recently or between when you noticed and when the patch happened? That could account for the name change.

If multiple mercs are not allowed to have the same name, thn it is possible that someone tried to name theirs "Killer" and when that didn't work (because you own it) they picked "Kiler" thus, usurping your merc name.

But I don't know how it works, I never cared enough to name a merc.

I highly doubt DBG is sitting there parsing merc names and resetting "popular variants" to get people to buy a name potion.
    Hobitses likes this.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Just pay the DBC and name your merc. Seriously. If it's important enough to try for "hours" it's important enough to pay for it.
    Hobitses likes this.
  6. Iven the Lunatic

Get a cool name like "Hundredmilesandstillrunning" or "Afkbot" :cool:
  7. Cicelee Augur

Do people actually name their mercs? I know many name their pet, but did not know merc naming was something that people actually did...
  8. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

How many necros over the years punted pets until the pet had Boner for a name? :D
    Leerah likes this.
  9. Loup Garou De loop de loop

I have no idea why/how they change the mercs name but I had a newly created character down in the tutorial and did the merc part so got a merc whose name was auto generated as "Darwin". Thought it was pretty cool and continued playing quite a while with it that day.

Next day I logged in and it was changed. Since I didn't name it I can only assume Daybreak violated their own naming policy then changed it.
    Leerah likes this.
  10. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Thing1
    Thing2
    Thing3
    Thing4...

/hides :)

I don't understand why they have a charge for ' perks ' when myself dumps $$$ into stuff like merc names :)
  11. Graytis Lorekeeper

May be an outlier case, but we have had a dedicated group that meets on Sundays for nearly a decade. The organizer of that group, a cleric, recently passed... f*** cancer.

You'd better believe my healer merc honors his legacy.
    Hobitses, Mesc, Kialya and 2 others like this.
  12. matouoli Elder

my red skelly merc name is ------------------->>>> slimfast.
    Madeni and Grove like this.
  13. Leerah Augur

Did they nerf them too? That's just mean. Not as funny as Goner though.
  14. Leerah Augur

I didn't know Darwin was possible. What class/race was that?

15. Nennius Curmudgeon

Tough one to get. "Survival of the fittest" and all.
    Elyssanda and Leerah like this.
  16. Iven the Lunatic

It has not anything to do with the naming policy. There was a mercenary bug for FTP accounts after the last update/patch that prevented them being used.
    Leerah likes this.
  17. Leerah Augur

Nice theory but that account stays Gold.
  18. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

That bug was only for F2P accounts and affected if they could hire them or not. It was fixed in just a few days. Over a month ago
  19. Elyssanda Bardbrain

My Healer #1 is LordBob
    My tank is Jokstrapp
    My rogue (brownie ) is Walnut
    My caster is Batchitcrazy
  20. Mykaylla Augur

I had a friend who went and got a cleric merc as soon as SoD went live.
    It was named Gonorea.
    I was very sad that they didn't stick with it, but they went dismissing mercs for ages after, to get the hair colour they wanted on a mercenary not named Gonorea.
    Leerah likes this.