New currency

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, Jun 11, 2022.

1. uberkingkong Augur

Its been a while since 64 bit happened.
    So what? Haven't seen any benefits of yet on the developer side.

People want higher limit on plat. But still no go.

Easy solution,
    new currency.
    I say go big, you know like $20 to $100 bill, no one really messes around with $50s anyways.

So how about 1 of this new currency = 1000plat
    Want to do a currency reset on Live servers.

Easy make this new currency easy to obtain as long as you have the latest expansion and mobs be dropping 5 new currency aka 5000plat per kill.

Clarification new currency is not in the currnecy tab, it is similar to silver/gold/plat/newcurrency

So what does it do?
    1. New currency, everything should be tradeable in the bazaar now using the new currency
    (zonewide rares, kronos, etc.)
    2. Currency reset, its so easy to get as long you have new expansion and the ones beyond it (Of course you can convert plat to new currency) what I mean by easy to get is like how mobs drop 5 plat, well new expansion mobs drop 5 new currnecy along with plat, etc.
    3. Huge incentive to get the new expansion and play in the new expansion

Farming for money? Well tough to beat playing in the new expansion where things drop 5 newcurrency aka 5000 plat per kill.
    Laronk likes this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

A new currency is likely going to be much more work then removing the 32 bit limitation on currency. Also if you are talking about just making something above plat currency wise the issue is that for the bazaar prices are stored in copper not in plat/gold/silver. Also if they added a new currency like this for use in the bazaar it would be a bad idea to lock it to an expansion.
  3. Loup Garou De loop de loop

If they wanted a better incentive to play in the new expansions then all they have to do is throw the sub level 110 players a pittance in the form of lower quests they can actually do.

Since EOK the expansions have not offered anything for players who are level 95-110 and there are a bunch of us out here that are not in top raiding guilds and like just cruising thru the game without hard core killing. Yes we do expect to do difficult content but not exclusive to level 110 and up in every expansion

This is what drives new players away from the game. The need to be level 120 to do anything.
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

How about an EQ cryptocurrency? It will start out at a high value and fluctuate wildly until no one has any clue what it might be worth. And yet, a certain group of bazaar traders will continue to insist that it is the way of the future and will inevitably lead to the elimination of all other currencies. May I respectfully suggest it be called something like Potsemag.
    Wdor, Mikana and Celephane like this.
  5. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

So the bennefit of new currency is so you don't have to personally interact on a sale/purchase?

Hmm it would also be a good idea to make THAT a prestige ability.
    This is a GAME not a place of employment.
  6. uberkingkong Augur

Let me explain

So if bazaar is locked in copper, they still haven't found solution since 64 bit happened months ago. If they are still brain storming, new currency is the way to go. Its not locked in expansion, its just the expansion mobs start dropping that on kill. It's just like plat except its worth A LOT more.
    Plus, people shouldn't need to type in 2000000 in selling something, how about just using really hi end currency, new currency, worth 1000 plat.
    Instead of handing someone a ton of $20s, hand in a few $100s.

Let me make it more simple
    Classic EQ
    Hill Giant drops 3s 5g 62p
    Expansion 29
    Mob drops 3s 5g 9p 5 new currency

Let me make it simple
    You have 72 million plat in the bank?
    Click on it, drag and drop 72 million plat into the new currency tab, now you have 72000 new currency 0 plat

(Say they can fix the copper issue in bazaar but they have a max cap at 2million plat and its too tough to figure out how to work this code. Simple, new currency, keep the cap at 2 million, dont have to figure out to raise the 2 million number code from 20 years ago)

Let me make this simple
    Krono worth 3.1million plat on your server?
    Bazaar can't do 3.1million?
    Well it can do 3100 by using a new currency
    Now you can sell krono on trader

Let me make this simple
    Zonewide rare worth 8 kronos?
    Bazaar can't do 24.8million plat
    Well it can do 24000 by using new currency
    Now you can sell zonewide rares on trader

What are you talking about?
    Purpose of new currency is to be able to sell high end items in the bazaar.

Please read before jumping into conclusions.
    What is copper/silver/gold/plat called? Currency.
    New Currency is after plat, but its not 1 to 10 ratio, its a 1 to 1000 ratio.
    I said it in the OP.
  7. Iven the Lunatic

We just need diamonds to go onto the inventory money bar automatically when they do drop and integrate them as a currency. It was a bad concept right from the start to set a 1:10 exchange ratio instead of 1:100 between the coins. Currently 1 pp = 1,000 cp. Should had been 1,000,000 cp which is a difference of factor 1,000. A Krono would be worth 3,000 pp then instead of 3 mio. 200pp = 1 diamond.
  8. Celephane Augur

So you have completely missed the WHOLE debuff limit change on mobs? 97 to 200 seems to me to be significant.

You claim a lot of things about the currency, you should consider also that they just don't want to. I haven't seen any mention anywhere that they even care about it or intend to change any of it due to 64-bit change.
  9. Cicelee Augur

Nobles should be the new currency. But as long as the game taxes the conversion, it will never be...
    Coagagin, Wdor and Yinla like this.
  10. Warpeace Augur

No its not just that "easy". You skipped over everything they will need to change / fix to add a new currency.

Could they do it? Yes, but it would eat a lot of Dev time that could be put to other uses.
  11. Shillingworth Augur

As a programmer I can tell you changing the program to 64-bit architecture does not auto-upgrade all values. Variables that hold values are defined with a specific type which is well defined for how many bytes it allocates. It will have been used in math all over the place that is reliant on it being the originally intended type. It's possible to upgrade the code to the new type but with a game as old as EQ a variable that has been there since the start is no joke of a task to track down all references in all tools and applications involved.
    Beimeith, klanderso and Kialya like this.
  12. Stymie Pendragon

Think of it this way, all coin in game is copper. Silver is a visual representation of 10cp, gold is 100cp, and platinum is 1,000cp. Therefore a new currency, visual representation of copper, will change absolutely nothing until they address the 32 bit signed integer limit in the Bazaar.

"A 32-bit signed integer. It has a minimum value of -2,147,483,648 and a maximum value of 2,147,483,647 (inclusive)"

My guess is that it involves more than just modifying a value in the database, but it may be that simple /shrug. Players will be happy if this gets addressed at some point, and the increase to 64 bit makes it technically possible.

I would really like to see the addition of separators, such as commas or decimal points. That would make the ever-increasing platinum numbers easier to keep straight while doing head math.
  13. Scila Augur

Ideas are good ... easy ... well ... that's a whole different concept in the coding world. To boil it down, try eating angel hair and rigatoni with the same sauce at the same time. It gets tricky.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If it was that easy to add a new currency that could be used for purchasing in the bazaar why did they not add the ability to use nobels or krono in the bazzar? They have made a new currency in the past to try and solve some of these issues but the did not add the ability to use it in the bazaar. Just because something sounds like a good and simple idea doesn't mean that it is actually easy to do.

Also from what I understand they know exactly what they need to do to fix the 32 bit limit in the bazaar and they could have done it before the 64 bit conversion (they did it with HP values long before that happened) it is just that they have not decided to do it as of yet. If I remember they have said it would impact every single merchant in the game as well as some other things which is likely why they have not done it yet.
  15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea could been something good til they wanted what 10% or something just like the buying stuff to parcel npc.
  16. uberkingkong Augur

Nah can't convert plat to nobles.
    Nah, can't convert plat to diamonds

You guys are talking items to be used as currency.
    I'm talking about currency, new currency.
    Copper > Silver > Gold > Plat > New Currency

Let me show some examples too
    .01 Penny
    .05 Nickel
    .10 Dime
    .25 Quarter
    They not 1 to 10 ratio, they not a set ratio, they are different ratios

1 Dollar
    5 Five Dollar
    10 Ten Dollar
    20 Twenty Dollar
    50 Fifty Dollar
    100 One Hundred Dollar
    They not 1 to 10 ratio, they not a set ratio, they are different ratios

1 Copper
    10 Silver
    100 Gold
    1000 Platnium
    1000000 New Currency

Is what I'm talking about
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This sounds like you just want a new level of currency above plat and that will run into the same problem because it will still be represented as copper in the back end and hit the 32 bit limits.
  18. Iven the Lunatic

Norrath is a bit different than world, the commercial and fictional construct on earth. Diamonds are a currency between PCs; they are just not embedded and established between PCs and NPCs. Norrrath does not have a unique currency at all but many different currencies that can be exchanged with each other and which are based on copper in the database. A new coin currency could be created also with some fantasy but it could be difficult to keep up the logical order between the coins as they are loosely based on stock exchange values of (noble) metals in 1999 when platinum was more valuable than gold which has changed.

Those are currency quantities without a logical connection to each other. If those quantities should represent exchange ratios they do not have to be progressive or exponential. Just higher than factor 10 as this is very limiting.

Good morning, EQ is 64 bit now. No 32 bit limit anymore.
  19. Celephane Augur

Good morning. It seems you have missed every single previous conversation about currency and the fact that EQ being 64 bit has nothing to do with it.
    Wdor, Yinla and Yara_AB like this.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Currency is still likely stored as a 32 bit variable in the backend and the changes was just to how the code was compiled.