Beastlord Qustion for a Returning Nub

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Skev, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Skev New Member

Hello all

I'm going to be making a return to live servers after playing on one of the newer TLPs. I've got some questions around Beastlord before I choose it to level up.

What I want to play comes in 2 categories
    - What I want to level
    - What I want to play endgame

I'm pretty excited about leveling a Beastlord, but I don't want to get to the endgame and find I have a useless character. Would it be difficult for me to find groups for endgame content as a Beastlord?

Race:

I like Barbarian, but again, I don't like it enough to be at a huge disadvantage. Is a Barbarian a viable choice? Or will one of the other races have an advantages that would make my choice as a barbarian become undesirable when I start to group.

Level cap is a long way off, but I want to be sure what I want to play for that journey is what I'll want to play once I'm there.
  2. Disapointed Lorekeeper

a good BST is harder and harder to find, so if your willing to take the time to refine your skill, you will easily be an asset to any group.

Race is more about what you like to look at, and what your default warder will be i,e, wolf, tree, cat etc.

The innate advantages to "races" is pretty much non existent at the end game,

It's not an easy class, and it will almost always be a lot of work.
  3. Zalamyr Augur

When it comes to finding groups, being a decent player and an enjoyable person to play with is far more important than class in modern EQ, so I wouldn't sweat class choice.

Similarly, race differences are highly, highly minor and won't affect your primary roles (doing damage and boosting your groups damage) at all. I wouldn't worry about them, pick what looks good to you. Nobody will ever care about your race in a group.
  4. Skev New Member

Thanks for the responses, it really helps solidify my choice. With information spread out over 20 years it can be hard to filter out some of the negative opinions that pop up when trying to search it all. ;)
  5. Wakeup Journeyman

Ill say that race could matter to some people like me. Ogres get frontal stun resist and i use my BST to tank frequently. I race changed from vah shir to ogre just because i wanted to see if it made a difference. It is a huge difference in not only tanking but also pulling as long as i always face the mob. Plate tank classes all get AAs that make them all frontal stun resistant, but BST does not. If you never tank for your group or only pet tank it wont matter and you'll never notice the difference.

At endgame, Mediocre beastlords are plentiful and in the group game you can get by with pet dps slows and auto attack for a very easy existence. Add pet healing and you can solo or molo alot of content.

Good beastlords are heavily recruited though. Problem is that BL is one of the busiest classes to play to full capacity like a ranger or SK and it requires a lot more setup and attention than most classes. It has one of the highest AA totals and needs a lot of work to get up to speed. Even then it's partly an adps class and does less dps than pure dps classes.

That said you can put in a quarter of the work required for a BST and get so much more dps out of most other classes. But for those of us that love a jack of all trades do everything character it's very worthwhile even if you do have to hit buttons constantly.
    Cadira likes this.
  6. Notinterested Augur

Big oof, what a waste of money... Ogres get full frontal stun immunity from PHYSICAL stuns. After about 65 stuns are spell based.

Its not a huge difference. Its literally nothing. Been common knowledge for about 20 years that outside of the first few expansions Ogre stun immunity is not actually a thing.
  7. Zarkdon Augur

You should make an Iksar, because iksars are the best at everything. Except for remodeling, have you seen how long they have been working on Cabilis?