Mob Stunlock changes

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Chantertlpxd, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Chantertlpxd New Member

Hello all!

I heard somewhere through the grapevine that mobs will no longer be able to get stun locked in a future patch? I don't know if it was someone pulling someone's leg or accurate. Are they actually adding a 12 second CD on stuns to mobs to prevent PBAOE 6xchanter spamming or this was just a joke?
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

It's already been done and, yes it was yet another wrong solution to a perceived problem.

Edit: I haven't done an AOE group in 15 years or more so this change doesn't affect me. However, stun locking was a fundamental tool in the enchanter toolkit and taking it away is just dumb.
  3. SoandsoForumUser Augur

Mobs are perma stunnable, you just can't do it with one single enchanter anymore.
    Stymie likes this.
  4. Midnitewolf Augur

Yeah they just love fracking over Chanters. There are lots of mobs that can't be charmed or mez'ed so what do you do to lock down the encounter? Stun. If you can't stunlock mobs that you can't charm or mez then you can't do the role that Chanters were designed for.

Of course they do this for all classes to a degree. For example, I never understood the change the made to Bard AoEs and making them only work on MoBs that are standing still. I mean I get that kiting an entire zone was broken as hell but why not just limit the DoT effectiveness to 4-5 targets instead of taking away the entire mechanic?

So many dumb nerfs.
    wade_watts and Lucentio like this.
  5. Chantertlpxd New Member

When did the nerf happen that changed how often a mob can be stunned?
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Don't think that has ever happened.
  7. Gnothappening Augur

I think you or the person who told you mixed things up. Enchanter stuns already had a 12 second cool down. But the first three stuns used to not be linked. What they did is link the stuns. So now if you cast any of the "color" line of stuns, they all go on cooldown.

I think they would break the game it they limited how often a mob can be stunned. Paladins for sure would get the shaft.
  8. Barder-mangler Augur

IIRC the original change came about during a time when a LOT of people were complaining about AE powerlevelers that were zone disrupting by pulling entire zones, and they only needed 2-3 chanters to ensure the mobs were perma stun locked. I don't actually know this to be the reason (only devs could shed light on this), but assume it was related.

I believe you need between 8-10 enchanters now to do the same thing (safely, factoring in CD and resists). The power levelers just added more chanters to the rotation to compensate, and solo/grouping enchanters got the shaft.
    Accipiter likes this.
  9. Aenoan Augur

I came to a different conclusion I thought maybe because AOE trivialized raids, such as plane of water event for Coirnav. But that makes a lot more sense.
  10. ikarinokamii Elder

it was because people are jerks and were abusing aoe groups in the deep. aoe groups are so fun. honestly it seems a lot of bad behavior on mangler, ardune and rizolna led to a lot of nerfs
  11. BearBuddy New Member

Enchanter AOEing can still be done. The people this "nerf" was intended to affect did NOT get nerfed. Those people, RMT Powerlevelers, just added more enchanters. What this did was screw over normal players.

The way it works is as follows:
    Color Skew, a level 43 Enchanter spell, AOE stuns for 8 seconds. With a 12 second cooldown.

• This means there's now a 4 second gap between when a mob can be stunned again.
    • So you add another Enchanter that casts their AOE 4 seconds after the first enchanter casts their AOE.
    • This, plus aoe healing, gear, defensive AAs, and hp buffs, means there's always a 4 second gap for mobs who resist the first AOE to swing away at people
    • So, you add yet another Enchanter to cast their AOE 4 seconds after the second.
    • This results in an AOE 8 second stun going out every 4 seconds.
    • At a minimum, with zero resists, 3 enchanters, with "perfect" timing, can perma-AOE stun 100 mobs in the deep. Obviously resists and timing screwups happen.
    • So, you add yet another Enchanter to the rotation, and you subtract the time between AOE's by 1 second.
    • So every 3 seconds you have an enchanter casting their AOE stun. So 4 enchanters, are casting in order their AOE stun, every 3 seconds.
    • Also, you need a bard to AOE MR song-debuff the mobs to reduce resistances.
    • You ALSO, have to keep an eye on your enchanters getting bashed & stunned screwing up their rotation.
    Sure, it's no longer happy-go-lucky time with 3 enchanters insuring constantly AOE stuns, but 4 enchanters can do it in a "rough" state. The more enchanters you add to this the more "safety" and mana efficiency you achieve.
    You can "guarantee" a safe AOE deep-farming with 6 enchanters out-of-group casting every 2 seconds.
    It's annoying, rough, and expensive. DPG do it because:
    • It falsely shows they're "doing something" about RMT powerlevelers
    • It earns DPG more money by forcing them to have more active subs active per month to achieve the same thing
    • It means less "normies" doing this which means less stress on their servers dealing with the server lag that an AOE team can cause
    Realistically, it's a win/win for DPG with little involvement now. No meaningful # of players are going to quit over this. It's only really useful for a specific "Era" in the game (I'm told no one AOE's in PoP, or much of it anyways due to stun immunity post 55?), and it's a niche thing that truly invested players will invest heavily into DPG's pockets to achieve results in.

Yes, this change, along with many other ill-thought out changes, will slowly add another issue to the pile that has been added over the years. These terrible changes slowly make the game worse for everyone in the long run and make the game less fun over time.

Should it be reverted? Yes
    Are there other ways to achieve a similar result? Probably
    Will the vocal crying minority continue to get their way? Maybe

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Kylo Classic and Risiko like this.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I can't think of any other way to do it that won't result in a bigger nerf overall.
  13. Arclyte Augur

someone please think of the poor children enchanters
  14. Zansobar Augur

Mobs should have an immunity timer after they are stunned, possibly a function of the length of the stun that hits them. Many other games have this method. Or you could make the spells only hit a max of 4 mobs (or some other fixed number) like some AE DD spells already do.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And now we have the call for the much larger nerf.
  16. Gnothappening Augur

As well as destroying paladins. All because they are upset that some people aoe in a zone that they never go to.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  17. Galaras Lorekeeper

The actual reasons for the changes were that AE groups became so popular that because of the shoddy server architecture it was causing server stability issues on the TLP servers at the time.

Secondarily I believe it was intended to stop RMT farmer's/sellers but the reality was that it stopped normal people from forming AE groups and the farmers/sellers just added more chanters to their rotations to continue their selling.
    BearBuddy likes this.
  18. Gnothappening Augur

I think the actual reason was to shut up some of the QQ on the forums. This was during Karendune when people were at their worst
    Accipiter likes this.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

That's exactly what happened. And as usual, it was the wrong solution to the "problem".
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

No one cares about AOE groups in the Deep. That's the only reason to go there (other than the shrink wand). It was Sebilis that got peoples' ire up. Two AOE groups basically can pull the entire zone.