Rental of instances.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Trellium, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If that was true why does EQ have performance problems? What you are suggesting is only true if the code is designed to take advantage of the cloud architecture and able to utilize those on demand resources.
    Accipiter likes this.
  2. Gheed Is not reading your response

Good lord

First perks now we want solo instances you can buy for real money.

L O L
  3. eredhel New Member

It's a seven year old thread that got bumped.
  4. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

Not sure if you should come up here in the forums acting sanctimonious when it's pretty well known that you and your buddies operate under very dubious conditions
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

Google searches is what causes this. People are expected to search for a topic before they start a new one, they search, it pops up and they overlook how old the thread is. Many of times I have searched for info and thought about asking or commenting only to realize the thread is a decade old.
    Skuz and Stymie like this.
  6. Gheed Is not reading your response

At least dubious isn't KoS

Enjoy your daybreak cash instances buddy
  7. Vileborg33 Lorekeeper

I think the fact that they spin up instances of zones is a pretty good indicator that the code is capable of spinning up resources and not far from being able to utilize cloud resources.

I really haven't experienced the performance issues you are talking about. I've seen some minor lag here and there but nothing show stopping.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No, that is not necessarily true, it depends on how the code is doing that and from what I understand they are just launching the instance on a server with fixed resources not actually expanding the resources available. There is a big difference between having a system that has a fixed amount of resources to run any of the programs that it needs and one that is able to add and remove resources as needed in order to run programs in an efficient manner.

It is highly unlikely that a server architecture was designed in the mid 1990's is able to take advantage of a cloud architecture without a significant (or complete) rewrite.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Vileborg33 Lorekeeper

Next time you should restrict your expertise responses to something you know something about.

Also, the important fact here is that it won't be done anyway so this argument is really just you trolling for an argument.
    Nennius likes this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

As someone who has migrated software to a cloud infrastructure I think I am able to speak to the difficulties of taking advantage of the cloud with older software that is designed to work with a static amount of resources.

If anyone is trolling it would be you with the apparent claims that it would be so easy.
    Brildon likes this.
  11. Vileborg33 Lorekeeper

I'm pretty positive they are using an on prem cluster. I've set up virtual nodes on AWS and added them to an on prem cluster to handle just this case.
  12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

And have you set up that AWS instance to talk to an On Prem MySQL server and other resources without the high latency that would make an online video game pretty much unplayable? There is a dev post talking about how fast things need to respond before there are problems. You won't get that kind of speed off the local network, no matter how fast the connection is between onprem and AWS.
  13. Vileborg33 Lorekeeper

It depends on the data set needed. A data table could be built that syncs back to the on prem MySQL or you could use a MySQL cluster that handles read writes and then syncs back when needed.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No one is saying it can't be done, just that the amount of work needed isn't going to be trivial by any measure of the word. They likely would have a significant amount of work involved and they would need to find a way to determine the costs involved for running with the cloud and on demand resources.
  15. Tweakfour17 Augur

https://www.daybreakgames.com/careers be the hero Norrath deserves