Boxers, why play on TLP rather than live?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Bernel, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Bernel Augur

I can certainly understand the appeal of boxing with having control in how you play and not being dependent on others, but then why play on TLP? Specifically, what's the appeal of boxing on TLP as opposed to just boxing on a live server? On a live server you will have almost all the zones to yourself and can play 24x7 uncontested. Why play on a TLP which has more limited places you can go and limited rulesets when you can play on live and go wherever you want and play however you want? If you are playing as a self-sufficient unit anyway, what's the appeal of playing on TLP?
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

For some people it's the simplicity. Live can be daunting. It's pretty complex for a first-timer or returning player. When players start on Live, they have a bunch of options not available on TLP (mercs, zone choices, all classes, etc.).

Obviously nostalgia plays a factor as well.
  3. Azzudien Augur

Same reason that non-boxers play on TLP's. They enjoy the content of the earlier expansions
    Suvi, Nolrog, Risiko and 7 others like this.
  4. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I don't box with the intent of being anti-social.

Sometimes I do want to just do my own thing, sometimes it's because there aren't groups readily available to certain classes I want to play, sometimes it's just because I enjoying rolling alts and it helps with that. Sometimes I am perfectly happy to group with other people, even if they only have room for one of my characters to join.

I play on a TLP because I want to experience the game's content that way rather than trying to force the current Live game to be something it isn't. Sometimes I play on Live too!
    Bernel likes this.
  5. Dre. Altoholic

More overlap than there are exclusives. Great opportunity for krono farmers also.
  6. Zansobar Augur

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  7. Appren Gnomercy

If a person is boxing, it doesn't mean they aren't also being social (they can be, of course). Sometimes I want to group with others, sometimes not.

Also, the whole "Progression" part, beating raids, gearing up etc, is just as interesting for people boxing as for those that don't, can't see why it wouldn't be?

"Progressing" by yourself on live servers would be totally lonely (for the most part) until you reach current max level.

And just as valid as for non-boxing people, I would assume many of the boxers simply enjoy the earlier expansions.
  8. FranktheBank Augur

It's basically two different games. Your question is bad.
    Lanffear and Appren like this.
  9. Genjo Lorekeeper

How about not insulting people.....

Many people box another "mandatory" class so that they arent short later - example duo play a cleric and your wanted class - so if you cant find a group you can make one.

The amount of people doing what is describing as RMT is very low, but it the one thing that everyone points to and complains about. The folks doing RMT fall into one of two camps, hardcore players who exploit the desire of "average folks" to get that fungi tunic, cleric epic ETC. and professional RMT teams looking to fund private enterprise. Both these groups make up a small number, but they are highly visible and create the toxic interactions that drive the fanboys crazy on these forums.

Time to stop making it sound to anyone who visits the forums like our game is over-run. It is not, it is fun, achivevable and full of great people.
  10. Magician9001 Augur

This is just not at all true. The majority of boxers don't pay for a thing and are just in it for RMT. For example the poster above my previous post is in a guild with a name that's an omission to the amount of 3rd party programs they use. They're solely in it for RMT.

It's the entire reason TLP have so many boxers compared to live. 90% of the people boxing do it on TLPs cause it's easier to make Krono and without that Krono they can't afford to box.
    Muramx likes this.
  11. Genjo Lorekeeper

That is not true, darkpaws own data prove that predominate amount of players on TLP are not what you describe. Take a look at the finacials that were posted a while ago, they bags and potions sold every year in May have a large increase in revenue for the game. The vast majority of people playing on TLP are NOT RMT focused boxers. Just long on and look at the intactions, read the chat.

I know you are frustrated by these folks, and I get it. Dont fall for your own "Anecdotal Evidence Fallacy".
  12. Magician9001 Augur

That's not what i'm saying at all. 90% of the game doesn't box or plays 2 toons total. Of that other 10% pretty much everyone that 6 boxes RMTs. There are a small handful of people that have deep pockets and busy lives that 6 box and don't mind shelling out 100$ a month is subs. But most people that are 6 boxing on TLPs are doing it for RMT.
  13. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

[IMG]
    Nenton, Brildon, Appren and 1 other person like this.
  14. Tweakfour17 Augur

So wait, "boxers" is only 6+ now? You really have no clue whats going on around you
  15. Bernel Augur

Before the thread gets too off track, I guess I didn't think about the fact that TLPs are classic-focused and have game elements which don't exist on live. It's not just a limited set of zones that bottleneck players. It's a recreation of a more classic experience. So I could see someone wanting to experience that at their own pace without having to be dependent on other people. I haven't played TLPs. I thought the people playing on them did so because they wanted the kind of grouping experience that comes from having very populated zones, so it seemed odd that people would box there. But if that's not why they're on TLP, then I can see why they box.
    Lanffear and Appren like this.
  16. Gheed Is not reading your response

I have fun doing it.

Not surprisingly a lot of my fun comes from interactions with people like you can find in this thread.

Who woulda thought?
  17. Mayrn New Member

You believing that third party programs, at least illegal ones, are required to "N"-box in the earlier eras of EQ tells me how oblivious you are to how to play the game at any non-remedial level.
    Lanffear and code-zero like this.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

Hold on. When I boxed I would sell excess loot for cash, buy kronos, and use krono to pay for my subs. Is that what you consider RMT? Real Money Transactions, think about it. RMT. RMTers sell krono and loot on certain third party sites. That's RMT.
    Lanffear likes this.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

Making stuff up in every post doesn't do anything to improve people's perception of you, and your reception here.
  20. Genjo Lorekeeper

Wow, I am afraif you are very poorly informed.

I would say a large portion of the playerbase boxes least one character, many do more. Sometimes for buffs, fill in groups, etc.

I can tell you right now, darkpaw could run a report about accounts to email/ip that would show most players have multiple accounts.

This is the problem with the game right now, some toxic players piss off some people and then the problem becomes so huge that suddenly every multi-boxer is the problem. Many many people multibox and never do anything - just be good group members, raiders, great part of the community.

Yet if you come to the forums, the impression you are leaving visitors is that the game is a piece of trash and that RMT, mulit-boxers have destroyed it. This is so far from the truth that it absurd.
    Skuz, Appren and Tweakfour17 like this.