Monthly cost should discount the senior.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Jun 5, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Thank goodness the employee salary/cola has risen thru the years and we still have many of the "Senior" ogres working for the company.

Most of the Senior discounts are just for drinks or 10% at fast food restaurants. As anyone who has ever been in the restaurant industry knows that the drink mix is the most profitable. So they can afford to give those away cheap. And that 10% usually equals out to the tax amount. So they are lures to bring in the whole family - lets take granny - she gets 10% off or a free coffee.

Other Senior discounts for airfare, hotels etc are only good if you travel. Most Seniors cannot afford much travel. Other discounts require the senior to spend more money to get that discount. Like home alarm systems, home loans etc or like the monthly Senior day (10%) at the grocery store - its based on what you spend.

As mentioned before, I am a senior and have thoroughly researched every Senior discount and all those "articles" about how Seniors can save money. More puffed up news. But I do take advantage of the ones that I would use anyway.

As to other groups who get discounts - well if we went that route then you would have to just give everyone a discount because there is a group for every type - seniors, veterans, kids, etc - except getting a group in the game :D

I am more than happy to pay my discounted rate for the game which are #1 a lifetime sub, #2 a couple accounts on long term billing which gives me discounts in itself and are paid for with #2A discounted gift cards, bonus credit card deals. #3 Numerous F2P accounts and #4 basic expansion if any when released but for sure when the sale comes out in November

And I juggle all that on a Senior citizen limited income. No other work income since I am also disabled and cannot work but do not receive any disability income because once your old you can't get both.

But if everyone wants to give us further discounts then go for it. 10% of $14.99 is $1.49 a month. Woo Wee
    Vumad, Aanuvane, Laronk and 1 other person like this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why you want to kill of EQ? The less revenue they have from the game the less likely that they are going to invest in the game.
  3. KermittheFroglok Augur

What specifically in EQ's design is "pay-to-win"? What current expansion raid boss or even group boss can you "win" by paying more? There's a soft barrier on free-to-play and Silver accounts from the AA point cap and that's about it, and that's pretty generous given how much content they can do complete without a sub.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

XP potions, faction potions, perks, heroic characters and a few other things can be seen as pay to win. There is more to pay to win then just applying it directly to content.
    Jumbur likes this.
  5. Dre. Altoholic

Right around the cost of a Krono ;)
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

That mount that signifies that you beat the expansion, I can totally "win" that just by paying DBG. All those bags I can buy from the marketplace, without earning them in-game. The blood-soaked items I can get for Kronos bought through DBG. Most Kronos bought with real-money was to get items you would otherwise have to spend a long time to earn.

There are lots of ways to spend real money in EQ, that will give you a significant advantage. I will soon be able to buy a heroic powerlevel from DBG to level 100, just by spending real money. As Waring_McMarrin mentions: perks and potions are other examples.

It may not fit your understanding of winning-conditions. Just because I CAN stay ahead of the whales with effort and a single subscription, does not mean there isn't pay-to-win in EQ.
  7. KermittheFroglok Augur

The game clearly isn't pay to win given the Devs are hesitant to provide purchases that immediately grant us enough power to be competitive in endgame. People are going to still complain even if/when they have the level 100 Heroics launch later this year because they're still going to need to grind for a couple weeks to a couple months (depending on how casual they are) to get caught up.

As you pretty much admitted you can't get the current period progression by just shelling out money. All that's been listed are pretty much quality of life conveniences. Avoiding some grind and getting a mount cosmetic isn't the same as paying for progression. By your definition games like Fortnite are pay to win...

I still appreciate your long winded admissions that it's not actually pay to win. Obviously, if you have to change the definition of "winning", to keep claiming it's pay to win, then frankly it's not pay to win ;).
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Many people would disagree with you on the game having pay to win elements as the things I mentioned do give you power. Just because what you are purchasing doesn't grant you end game power doesn't mean that you are not purchasing power. XP pots are big on the TLP servers where people purchase them to level up quickly so that they can complete content on server launch and when it unlocks throughout the life of the server.
  9. Duder Augur

You went from average hamburger to Big Mac. One is average and one is not. In the 1990’s a Big Mac never cost under USD $2.00. So your data is a bit off, though I get the point.

Also I agree with you. Subsidization for age for a video game is pretty ridiculous. Like another person eluded to with examples of further special treatment… what’s next then? Not to mention they can play via FTP or Test for free all they want. TLP’s are premium servers, the last thing they should do is subsidize them or offer FTP on them.

The price of a subscription in todays world is an absolute bargain basement price for the content you receive. My other hobby is woodworking, this weekend it cost me $11 after tax for a 2oz bottle of glue. (https://www.menards.com/main/paint/...54-c-7176.htm?tid=6033293339610080917&ipos=10) and both variations are over $15 on Amazon right now. Lumber is so unaffordable right now that I only use salvaged wood that I find. I have an old sofa in the garage that I plan to dismantle this afternoon to harvest the wood. To purchase the equivalent amount of wood I will gain from the sofa would cost over $75. And none of that wood will be usable for any current projects. Then you need screws, nails, sand papers, glue, stains/paint, finishes as well as have all the tools and or machines to actually do that woodworking.

Should seniors receive a discount on all that too due to their age? What else? Anything and everything they may want to do for recreation? Maybe discount heroin for senior addicts is in order too. Subsidies are meant to help provide necessities for life. Just as well, having played the game for 20 years or 20 minutes should not determine your subscription price. I am more in favor of exclusive time limited content that never comes back and rewards *mostly* non-power-increase items. Or minimal at most. Things like bags, illusions, mounts, housing items, port clickies, ornamentations, and other like items that don’t equate to character power and are the perfect sort of content to be offered as limited time content that would serve as these unique loyalty rewards. (Available through store, unique quests, mobs, events, and even some just for logging in between a certain time frame.

The bigger issue in my opinion is that due to the state of the game that it’s monthly cost can not a be justified by any means, for any cost, high or low. If the (mis)management of the game weren’t so grossly dysfunctional 14.99/mo would be among the cheapest forms of computer entertainment available on Earth. (In regards to total content available.)

{Edit} Extra site examining McDonald’s and other fast food inflation through the 2000’s. https://cockeyed.com/citizen/drivethru_menus/mcdonalds_drive_thru.html
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

So if I bought 200 Kronos and spend them all on blood-soaked gear and assorted baz-gear, I wouldn't be better geared than every single non-raider?
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you are worried about the value of you pay why would you be paying $14.99 when you can save $5.00 a month by paying for a year at a time? As long as you subscribe for more then 8 months each year you will be saving in the long run as 8 months of that price is 119.92 while a 12 month purchase is only 119.88.
  12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

The blood-soaked still has to drop in game. True pay to win would be being able to simply buy the blood-soaked items in the Marketplace on day 1 of the expansion.
    Duder and KermittheFroglok like this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There are still plenty of other examples of pay to win. I see that one more of just changing the purchase from out of game to in game.
  14. Smokezz The Bane Crew

EQ's "pay to win" is still extremely tame compared to what's out there. XP potions, TS potions, etc.
    Bigstomp and Stymie like this.
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

That is true, I would still be subjected to local availability. I can't buy gear through the marketplace directly, but I can buy "buying-power" directly through the marketplace.

There is no "I-win-button" in the game(not even in the marketplace). So having an overly narrow definition of "winning", isn't helpful when discussing the existence of pay2win.
    Im personally of the opinion, that if there is a clear advantage in spending more real-money, than a subscription costs. Then it is pay2win.
    In a game without pay2win, everyone would have an equal playing field.

Comparing EQ to "what is out there", is kinda unfair towards EQ imho. EQ was designed to be a real game(and I want to keep it that way). The worst examples "out there" are just money scams "disguised as a game". That is not a fair comparison.
  16. Duder Augur

Good point and advice in general. In the past I didn’t because it was rare for me to play without multi-month layovers and I never performed the cost analysis even with the months not played. Aside from that I have paid for my accounts for the past 5 years with Kronos acquired ingame. I’ve recently *mostly* retired from main raider play and dropped back to casual status and will continue to pay with krono. If, some how, I were to run out of krono and wanted to keep playing I could but wouldn’t pay the 14.99 because the game is too broke to justify a dollar a month let alone 15. Even if I still wanted to play I would just loan some krono from a friend and reimburse them as I reacquire a hoard. BUT, if krono werent an option and the game returned to more functional state to where I would be comfortable paying for it, then yes, absolutely I would follow your exact advice. Whole lotta “ifs” to justify the value of paying it’s cost (to which I agree is in general, for a quality product an out of this world phenomenally great deal). Unfortunately, the game is in shambles, it’s only “value” is in it’s legacy and intellectual property rights at this point, in my opinion. However, most of us seem to have deluded ourselves into believing that the service we receive is acceptable.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Never said it was the worst or how bad it was compared to other games, just that it does have pay to win elements that people complain about.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you are paying for the game with krono that you earn in game why are you complaining about the price? I could understand if you chose to pay the most expensive price available but you chose to go a route where you don't have to pay anything other then the time it takes to earn some korno.
  19. Angahran Augur

I can understand being on a fixed income, but if $13 is causing a hardship then I think you have bigger issues than playing EQ.
    Loup Garou likes this.
  20. Laronk Augur

Seniors discounts are mostly a marketing gimick save for some small stores that actually might just want to give old Joe a break.

Say you're a company like DBG, I think this is a stat they actually don't have but lets say they do since it's amazing what companies can collect.

Users over the age of 65 buy a lot less from the dbg marketplace!!! Lets apply a 20% discount to items in /market for our users who confirm that they're over 65.

This is an area where you could potentially see something like that because the cost of goods sold is very low so if they were to think that by providing a discount they could increase sales to a specific age group they might give a seniors discount. It's the same thing for places like dennys, they want to attract customers.

It's very unlikely that someone would choose everquest over another game simply because they gave a 10% discount. If they made WOW 50% off for French Canadians because they feel we're under represented in that game it wouldn't make me go play that game, a 10% discount to everquest isn't likely the difference between someone quitting and not quitting.

MMOs like everquest, wow and others are one of the best $ per time structures out there for people who play video games. Heck in everquest if you don't raid, you can really just sub one or two months a year, and play in ftp gear the rest of the year. Really you don't even need to sub every year and can just live on FTP being sub par if you just buy the expansions and have in game friends. Everquest has one of the most lenient FTP models out there.

TL;DR Most companies that give some kind of discount to a group are not being altruistic
    Spacemonkey555 and Nennius like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.