Just to be clear, 24/7 fully unattended gameplay *IS* OK?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hythos, Jun 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overcast451 Augur

I ran into a gnome in Lower Guk on another TLP that was 'using' the bots and I thought it was about the coolest thing I had seen in EQ!

He would pull a mob, nuke it to like 49% then run it to the bot group that would finish it off for him. He said he had been doing it for hours and had the spawn timing down just right so that he was basically taking the XP and loots while the bots did 49% of the work, lol.

Just something to consider :)
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That isn't true, people have been boxing multiple characters without any 3rd party software since the earliest days and they will continue to do so until the game shuts down. There is a big difference between people who use 3rd party software to play multiple accounts and those who do not. There is no reason look down on someone because they enjoy playing multiple characters at once. Just because you think it is bad doesn't mean that everyone else feels that way.
    Faydark and Lanffear like this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And the people that are being trained know how to record evidence of the train so they can report it and get the person that trained them punished. There has been plenty of reports of people training to take action against someone only to end up being the only one punished.
    code-zero likes this.
  4. Velisaris_MS Augur

That's not an indictment on players who box...that's a indictment on you for allowing a crappy player to take advantage of you and powerlevel one of his toons. The moment you saw his box wasn't doing anything, you should have kicked both of them to the curb and replaced them with people would contribute.

Don't blame boxers for you not having the guts to kick bad players out of a group.
  5. Midnitewolf Augur

Really? I say I don't like boxing because the bots take away a spot that could be held by another character and I am not social? Let be honest here, the entire reason to box is to avoid having to rely on other players. I would content that the people who don't like others are probably those boxing rather than playing the game the way it is intended and getting together with a group of characters with a real, unique person behind every keyboard. Honestly it sounds like you want to disagree with me just for the sake of disagreeing LOL.
  6. Tweakfour17 Augur

Why did the devs make mercs if the intent is always to group with other players? Someone can 2+ box and still be social and someone can single box and have zero social skills.
    Laronk likes this.
  7. Midnitewolf Augur

Whelp I wasn't the leader of the group so all I could do was choose to accept it or drop. If I dropped I could have been sitting there hours LFG getting nothing accomplished. So I accepted in and gained 4 levels which could have been 5 or 6 if we would have had an extra participating member.

Consequently, if I had dropped on principle, I am sure I would have been setting out at the zone with my LFG flag on, and wondering out of all the picks and all the groups in Unrest, how many of them had at least one spot in their group filled by a bot rather than any of the multiple of players LFG with no where to go.

Look I get it, lots of people like to box, but liking something and it being a good thing are too different things. I mean every time I open my mouth saying how much I enjoyed pre-nerf Charming on my Enchanters, I get soundly told, that my enjoyment doesn't matter because being able to charm full power mobs was detrimental to the game. Well, sorry to say, no matter how much many people enjoy boxes, it has a huge amount of negative consequences for many people as well. Much like Enchanter Charming it probably needs to go away despite it being fun and enjoyable.
  8. Vumad Cape Wearer

On the flip side, at 9am EST when there's few people to play with, I can 3 box and get things done I otherwise couldn't. I can also replace my mercs with real players who can't find a group. Sometimes there's an issue where a box of mine needs a flag but that flag gets me something I need to succeed, like Bloodfalls access, but then later I am using those boxes to help players get through those same quests I needed my boxes for to progress. Rarely are my boxes causing any negative impact to other players, and I can say they as a whole have provided more to those around me than they have taken away.

There are always going to be bad apples, but it would be foolish to go hungry because a few have a couple small bruises on them.

Edit: Besides, I box a mage. I just CotH.
    Metanis and Laronk like this.
  9. Pizzanomicon Augur

Pretty much always has been xD.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

Au contraire. Late in Phinny about the only groups you saw were box groups (including mine). Based on that, I'd say boxing outlives single player.
    Appren likes this.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

Dual boxers can be like that. In some ways, they are the worst of the boxing crowd. They want the box along to leech xp but aren't skilled enough (or are too lazy) to play both characters actively. Anyone boxing more than 2 knows their stuff and wouldn't be leeching xp like that.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

I'm pro boxer but that argument is disingenuous. Of course he treated it differently because it's an entirely different situation.
  13. Strickin New Member

Found the cheaters. You sound scared, and should be
  14. FranktheBank Augur

This is probably the dumbest fix ever to be suggested. It literally does nothing to address the "botters" and literally only penalizes real people.

Botters use a /chase that functions entirely different and separate from follow. They also use nav which allows them to use move using a mesh of the zone.

Both these functions work without follow and work about 1000x better than follow.
    Wyre Wintermute and Appren like this.
  15. Genjo Lorekeeper

Enough with the complaining, the game has SOOO many places to hunt. Just take video, report it and move on.
  16. code-zero Augur

Scared of what? I've played non-stop since the early 2000's. Trainers are all human filth from my experience. One time I was in a group in CT and the monk who was our puller dropped group, trained us then his guildies took the camp and the fact is that he's far more typical of what trainers are than the self styled vigilante white knights "saving the game" from "cheaters"

It's never really about cheating it's always about you wanting to justify your bad behavior when you don't have the guts to DPS race
    Gnothappening and Genoane like this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Is it okay to break the rules to punish someone else who is breaking the rules? As has been mentioned if you train the people who are doing that the only person who is likely to be punished is you. The people who are using those tools also use them to report people who train them and their actions doesn't make training them not against the rules.
    code-zero likes this.
  18. Tweakfour17 Augur

I sound scared? I was just letting you know what will happen if you train these guys. I don't care what you do or what they do, other people people playing the game don't get to me like it does to some here.
  19. Magician9001 Augur

The solution is Truebox+ manual enforcement. You need both not one.

Doesn't make sense it's an obvious revenue loss for DBG, people don't like playing with cheaters.
  20. Appren Gnomercy

Good thing that most people boxing on truebox aren't cheaters then.
    Gnothappening likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.