No, the devs do not need to reinvent the wizard..just a small adjustment

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Highwizard, May 18, 2022.

1. Sancus Augur

(It isn't).
    Kalvenie and code-zero like this.
  2. TheAgenda Augur

Wiz

Slot 1: 339
    Slot 2: 135
    Slot 3: 135
    Slot 4: 135
    Slot 5: 135
    Slot 6: 135
    Slot 7: 135
    Slot 8: 135
    Slot 9: 138
    Slot 10: 137
    Slot 11: 137

Bard

Slot 1: 462
    Slot 2: 141
    Slot 3: 136
    Slot 4: 137
    Slot 5: 447
    Slot 6: 339
    Slot 7: 141
    Slot 8: 138
    Slot 9: 136
    Slot 10: 137
    Slot 11: 137
    Slot 12: 137
    Slot 13: 137
    Slot 14: 137
    Slot 15: 418
    Slot 16: 418
    Slot 17: 418
    Slot 18: 418
    Slot 19: 418
    Slot 20: 418
    Slot 21: 418
  3. Whulfgar Augur

Which guild are you in? As we know, not all guilds are equally skilled so curious..
  4. ChiiChii Augur

I do see the red blocked notice when a wiz proc is blocked by troubadour.. something
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Lophophora I can't help it, I'm a Wizard.

This may be a bit of a side note (or already mentioned). I would like to see the rune effect removed from or split off of Arcane destruction. A single AE from most raid encounters is enough to knock it away. Granted this can be slightly mitigated with distance and timing but is often gone before the usefulness as a burn key is achieved.
    Arkanny, Elantrian, Jumvapace and 5 others like this.
  6. Szilent Augur

indeed, same treatment that Embalmer's Carapace got, split protection ability & burn ability. That would be real good.
    Biltene and Lophophora like this.
  7. Kalvenie Elder

i'd noted in previous threads, areas to consider for tweaking wizard.
    And, as i've mentioned before, the first thing is to define what the wizard is supposed to be good at, and where it's destructive power comes in. For me, that is short burst, high dps, that allows for rapid decimation of HPs.

In short fights, both group and raids, wizards can amass good numbers, notably through twincast proc.
    If fights are less than 2 minutes, which they mostly are in group, wizards should be hitting the top spots.

The problem that I feel we face, is 15 minute or 20 minute raid encounters, where fellow raid members can rack up high numbers, particularly dot classes (druid / shaman) over a long period of time, where wizards are reliant on spreading burns, aDPS and hoping claw procs twincast more than once. We lose effectiveness, with a frustration that priest classes, or as also highlighted, tank classes can parse higher.

suggestions i'd added to other threads:
    make us either less reliant on twincast procing, or make it more likely to happen
    Decrease burn refresh time to one set of either frenzied or arcane, to a 6 minute refresh timer - can lower the power if it makes sense to do so
    improve mana burn so it competes with harm touch... ie, can be crit and is instant, and has proportional mana (0 cost for 1.3mil vs 90,000 cost for 4.2mil)
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

They could make Claw-refreshment also affect the twincast(85) spell.
    I also think Arcane Fury, Fury of the Gods, Improved Twincast and Arcane Destruction needs the recast reduced to 12 mins.

Or at the very least reduce Arcane Fury and Fury of the Gods recast timers to 15 mins.
    Kalvenie likes this.
  9. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Wizards...
    The days of druid dps vs necro dps is something to consider as well. Necros have extreme dps.
    I always thought Wizards should have been top dps.
  10. Highwizard Augur

I wish a well-played wizard could parse top 5 consistently considering the lack of solo ability, a pet and how much aggro we can generate. Our mana consumption vs our output is terrible to, there are more than one issue with the wizard and hopefully they tackle them one at a time. In reality it has taken years for the wizard to get to the point it is at now so it may take along time to get the wizard dialed in how it should be provided it is played correctly. Our utility in current content is very minimal outside of setting bind points to hard to reach places that have no ports and porting your group. So lack of utility in current content should allow us to be able to pursue extreme power when we cannot do anything else provided we play our wizard correctly.
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  11. Branntick Augur

That's a dangerous road.

Combat ability shouldn't be balanced around non-combat ability imo. That said, I agree that all else equal, a Wizard should pretty much be uncontested #1 on a parse.

I think that improving parity on sustained should be the #1 priority. Disparity in burst damage profiles is rarely as relevant or impactful to balance.

Wizards should be bursty, and balance out on sustained. Necros shouldn't be as bursty, but still balance out on sustained.

If I had to choose a pure melee to be the "burst" class, Monk would probably be it. That said, Monk, Rogue, and Berserker should still ideally balance out on sustained.
  12. Highwizard Augur

The community here has brought forth many ways to improve the wizard in an incremental way to not upset the game or how raids function. I hope a dev has read through this topic, I wish they would comment on these threads like hey no all you guys/gals are wrong or hey we know something is up we will look into it. I would even be happy with a hey you are all doing wizard wrong try this...
  13. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I’d overhaul the current Wizard design and turn it into a Spellsword class design. Mages and Wizzies operate in the same niche without enough distinction.
  14. Cicelee Augur

Maybe I am misreading what you wrote, but are you saying there is no difference between a wizard and a magician?
  15. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Yes you’re misreading it. I didn’t say there is no difference between them. I said that they operate in the same niche without enough differences to justify two classes. They’re too similar to justify 2 out of the 16 slots. The design difference is basically a toggle buff based on the status of a pet.

Wizards should be revamped into Spellswords from DnD, it’s extremely popular and doesn’t exist within EQ.
  16. Szilent Augur

How about instead go suggest deleting pets in a magician thread. Wizards already chose not to be rangers.
    code-zero, Arkanny and Cicelee like this.
  17. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

You could just give Mages the ability to summon that Wizzy AA familiar to boost DD spells. Boom, now the Wizard can be redesigned and have more freedom within its class design.

It’s obvious current Wizard design is a dead. There supposed to be a glass-cannon type with no utility, except they can’t even get the devs to give them that space to occupy.

Casters already melee for procs, and Wizzies get that summoned blade pet. It would be a much more interesting direction than +50% added to DDs.

Think of the excitement around the re-launch of a Wizard class designed around DnDs Spellsword.
  18. Cicelee Augur

There would be no discussion if wizards beat necromancers and magicians on Shei parse. Or if wizards beat necromancers on Zlandicar and Sontalak parses

Don't have to reinvent the class. Just make it so wizards beat the other INT casters on short raid events and all would be good IMHO
    Kalvenie and Yinla like this.
  19. MmmmBop Wise Troll

Here is a really easy way to bring wizards up to par and stay within their character:

Give wizards an AA that that does a huge nuke with high aggro that is on a one minute timer and is not focusable, doesn't twincast, and has no way to do additional damage beyond the base nuke.

How big would this nuke be? Well, if wizards are 200k DPS below necros, then have the nuke hit at 12,000,000 damage. Now wizards are on par with the top DPS of the raid. Furthermore, where wizards are expected to make things go boom instantly, this sort of ability would be perfectly within their character. And best of all, it's a pretty darn easy way to get them to where you want them to be in regards to their dps.

Alternatively, it could be made into a spell... Ranks 1 and 2 helping push their group DPS to where it needs to be and Rank 3 significantly higher that is measured for raid dps.
  20. Arkanny Augur

HARD PASS! I've picked a ranged spellcaster for a reason. I'd much rather expect devs pull their heads out of their behinds and fix the class.