Buff cast times should be instant in non-combat zones like GH, GL, and PoK

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bernel, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Bernel Augur

Many people use zones like the GL and PoK to buff up because the spell timers don't count down in those zones. This way the buff timers aren't wasted while everyone is getting ready and all the buffs are being cast. To make this more convenient, have all buffs be instant cast in these zone where buff timers don't count down. It seems reasonable to have buffs take time to cast while in combat zones since that helps balance their power, but it seems unnecessary to have cast times while in zones where the timers don't count down. It makes the prep time longer and inconvenient.

This would probably be most useful for the lower-level players who don't use MGBs for all their buffs. It would save a lot of time when single-target buffs have to be cast on players, pets, and mercs. Obviously it's not a huge time sink, but the buff cast times seem unnecessary and inconvenient when in zones where the timers don't count down.
  2. Petalonyx Augur

I think this might increase zone crashes in densely populated zones. On BB, PoK already crashes like once a week or more. MGB Pile buffs cause lag spikes, and it'd only be worse with instant buffs, especially if someone wanted to crash things on purpose.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

While not necessarily a BAD idea, I'd have to place it WAY down the priority list for things that need addressing in this game. The amount of inconvenience is miniscule.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am not sure we want to add more code to do checks for spell casting based on what zone you are in. Besides the time that is spent to cast the buffs really isn't much when you get down to it, getting your buffs instantly versus under 30 seconds really won't change much.
    Celephane and Fanra like this.
  5. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Nah need to put some boundaries on EQ-e-z-mode. Game has dumbed down significantly from the beginning there needs to be some work left to instill a sense of accomplishment in general.
    Nennius likes this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not sure if I would call faster casting buffs in a non combat zone easy mode but also don't think it is needed.
  7. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

EQ has definitely become more complex and less easy mode over the years.
  8. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Added code to check the zone would both likely to slow the game down (lag) and, even more, open the game to more bugs.

The last thing we need is a whole bunch of bugs regarding casting buffs added to the game and several months of fixes, with some fixes possibly taking much longer.

The buff code (really all EQ code) is incredibly complex and making major changes (this is a major change as far as the huge amount of buffs cast constantly, and the code involved) is not recommended for such a minor issue.
    Nennius likes this.
  9. Knifen Augur

I would prefer that either spells unable to be cast or buff timers ticked down in GL, or lastly add a GH access in PoK to skip that nightmare in-between zone.
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

First part is a worse idea than the OP's. By a mile.

Second part... that's what anchors are for. Works from anywhere ;)
    Hobitses likes this.
  11. Knifen Augur

For that to be solution reuse timers would need to be removed from anchors ;). Or put a second door to GH in PoK and save us from GL. Pretty sure the GL was mentioned in Dante's Inferno
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Fair point about the reuse timer of the anchor. I keep forgetting that I'm spoiled, maining a druid. We have the port spell, which doesn't have the timer.
  13. Knifen Augur

It hurts I do so much running and use up all my port items. 8( Other than port to bind potions but alas im bound in GL lol
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Insta-cast for all spells would impact casting skillups.

I'd be more in favor of buff bots than making all beneficial spells insta-cast in GL and PoK.
    Dre. likes this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't think this is an issue as players can always chose a short cast/recast low level spell to skill up with. Even after the recent reset to spec casting skills it didn't take me long to get them skilled back up.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

True. Good point.
  17. Bernel Augur

If being instant is a problem, then maybe they could be .5 sec or something. Although the buff cast time isn't a terrible hardship, it is annoying tedium that seems unnecessary in zones like PoK. I certainly agree that it should be very low on the priority list. However, if time allows, it would be a nice QoL improvement to be able to pop off a handful of buffs in a second or two rather than having to sit around waiting for a bunch of buffs with 5+ second cast times.

There are a number of spell timer reduction items and buffs already in the game. Many Defiant armor pieces have spell haste as well as buffs like 'Benediction of Reverence'. It seems like this feature could tag onto that existing spell haste framework. Perhaps when you're these no-combat zones, you could have a song or aria on you that makes beneficial spells take 95% less time. That shouldn't take much effort since it should be able to plug into the existing spell haste modification framework.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There is no reason to change them and there is nothing wrong with having to spend a little time to cast buffs. Yes there are ways to reduce casting time but that only works to a max of 50% and I see no reason to make changes to allow it to be faster.
  19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

True, low level spells do have short recast times, but the bigger impact is the change they made to all skillups about 2 years ago, where if you're way behind your current skill cap, skillups come pretty much every attempt.

I had bailed on maxing alcohol tolerance after getting 2-3 skillups after ~250 attempts, with a skill of only 200. Once they made the change, I got a skillup on ~250 of the next 300 attempts.

Truthfully, if it wasn't for that change from 2 years ago, this spell spec skill reset would have REALLY p!$$ed me off ;)
  20. Dre. Altoholic

OP: Is there a certain buff with a long cast time that's annoying you?