*Highly Suggested Ranger Changes*

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by FiaroBowfire, May 26, 2022.

1. FiaroBowfire New Member

I've been playing / main a ranger since I started EQ back in 2003. There have been many changes to the class and to be appropriate there should be some changes to fit. These are some that really SHOULD be changed. I also would like feedback from other rangers along with the DEVS themselves as to why they wont change it and reasoning behind it please.

1 - Range should be dropped to point blank ( 0 Range ). Meaning Ranged weapons should be able to be used at any distance up close. Think about it, you can shoot things IRL point blank, why can't we do that with a character?

2 - Enrichment line (Windstalker's and Arbor Stalker's) should be able to MGB. If we can MGB our other line for attack, why can't we MGB this one too? It is a group version, just makes total sense to be able to TB / MGB it too.

3 - Shadowspike Arrow should be non-expendable. This meaning we should be able to use it with our Endless Quiver AA. The hours upon hours spent with TS's along with the dozens of quests and things needed to even get to that point of making it should prove the point alone. Yes it's apart of the Artisan's Prize but that doesn't mean it should be expendable. There is also timing involved and dedication. Anyone can go and make an Ancient Arrow after spending a few hours but this arrow takes weeks. Not a joke, WEEKS of time spend playing the game on a regular basis to even make it. This is a complete NO BRAINER to allow it to be used more than one shot. IF, repeat, IF this is not a good enough suggestion, why not incorp another or new arrow to be used? Current used arrow is long over due!

4 - Pureshot (Ranged Disc) and Stalker's (Melee Disc) lines should be on different timers as we are suppose to be a melee class but we do better dmg with ranged. Why are they on the same timer? We are suppose to be a versatility class so why can't we use the different tools to do so? They are different types of damage and require us to have different placement along with using abilities to make up for our dps. This also goes in line with my first suggestion. If we are required to have a change in distance and not allowed to use other things because of that, then there need to be a real change to one or the other. Figure it out and make the change! From previous talks and from my understanding rangers are suppose to be a melee class but we don't do crap for DPS with melee until we're basically maxed AA. Even so, our melee dmg is only parsed out just minor above ranged at that point so basically most rangers just stay ranged dps when possible. I'd like to know what are we as a class suppose to be then? Ranged dps or Melee dps and why is it not very apparent to which side we should be? *** Extremely needed change ***

Please feel free to make good comments or other suggestions. I'm trying to improve things that are needed, not glorify a class because I play the class and feel it's "far under powered" verses other classes. These are suggestions / requests that would make minor improvements but flow of the class much better.
    Evye likes this.
  2. Cadira Augur

I strongly agree with everything you said except #3 (Shadows spike arrow).

The ap aug should be equally beneficial to everyone, in the form of an awesome Aug with good stats and the ts focus. Rangers shouldn't have some extra incentive or bonus from doing this trade skill quest over others. Granted a ranger wouldn't have to do the whole AP to get their arrow, I guess.

Also, bow damage increases are facilitated just fine via bow damage upgrades each year. There's no reason to make it more complicated and add in a new ts arrow "just because" each year or two.

I'll add in the discussion saying for the 47586836th time that rangers could use a mana return tool like literally every other hybrid has.
    Rouan and Evye like this.
  3. Orienn TreeHugger

I'm 100% behind you everything but #3, I just don't use them.

But I think another huge thing I would love to see is some type of way to regen mana. Something like canni or the bst one, bards get that reflexive thing that gives your group mana. Maybe give us an arrow spell like poison arrow but instead it gives you a % back of mana.
  4. Velisaris_MS Augur

1. Why? What purpose would that serve? There's already a sweet spot where you can bow AND use melee abilities, so I'm not sure how point blank bowing would do anything.

2. I agree.

3. No.

4. I agree.

I'll add that rangers need to be given some sort of meaningful mana regen...and not just the drip they get on killshots. Rangers have a ton of short duration abilities that could have a mana regen component added to them. At this point in the game, not giving rangers some sort of mana regen has nothing to do with game/class balance...it's just done out of spite by the devs.
    Fuelforfire likes this.
  5. Orienn TreeHugger

I can weigh in on #1 from my point of view. It's more of a convenience, I know tanks really don't take into consideration the positioning of targets. Yes there's a sweet spot and I'm literally in that sweet spot on every target. But some of these mechanics force you get in the too close. I had to make a gina trigger for "your target is too close to use a ranged weapon" that spams my screen with text telling me I'm too close that way I can know to back up and get back in the sweet spot. Use that trigger it helps a ton but I would love to be able to just shoot point blank on some of these events. Before I made that trigger I would find myself too close for long periods of time and cause all the spam that goes on it was hard to catch the "too close" text.
    Thunderkiks likes this.
  6. Velisaris_MS Augur

To be honest, that just sounds like you want to remove the penalty for not paying attention to what you're doing.
    Dre. likes this.
  7. Orienn TreeHugger

Call it what you want I know many people that agree with me.
  8. Shakara Augur

Problem is this really erodes on the distinction between ranged and melee DPS, limits game design space and is thematically inappropriate.
    Stymie likes this.
  9. Tallie Elder

Yes, because so many things in EQ are thematically appropriate..........
  10. Shakara Augur

the ol its broke so just break it more argument.
  11. Razorfall Augur

To my knowledge you can't use plain ol' regular kick in the sweet spot.
  12. Szilent Augur

You can, with very large enemies. Typically dragons are good for this, but there are plenty of others. Max regular melee range (i.e. Kick range) is further than ranged attacking minimum range.
  13. tsiawdroi TittyGOAT

Suggestion: make arrow line spells/composite use endurance instead of mana (if were never going to get any form of mana return.) Add some form of mana reduction on the guardian/group guardian line like the druid line would be another suggestion.
    Danladil likes this.
  14. Tucoh Augur

1. agreed
    [IMG]

5. Rangers are so mana starved they can go OOM faster than you can watch Legolas melee archer an orc.

6. Change headshot and rogue's assassinate to be equivalent in DPS to berserker's decapitate.
  15. Szilent Augur

I believe this is what's called a "hot take" in the modern parlance :p
    Stymie and Tucoh like this.
  16. smash Augur

however ranger headshot is not lackluster i see them come with 10 mil shots *4 come in very short timr
  17. Jennre Band Leader

Rangers do need a new arrow, with a level limit on it. Shadowspike would be too OP for lower levels.
  18. Gwarian New Member

I would throw in the concept of Head Shot on zombies.
    The premise being, most lore says the way to kill Zombies is to shoot them in the head... o_O
    Stymie likes this.
  19. Brickhaus Augur

So ... I understand why ranger players want a new arrow from a novelty perspective. But are rangers willing to go an expansion without a bow ratio upgrade (or a lesser one) in order to accommodate a higher damage arrow?
  20. tsiawdroi TittyGOAT

I could go for a new augment with a proc in it!