Multiboxers are cheaters!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Conforth, May 29, 2022.

1. Gnothappening Augur

I have two hotkeys on almost all of my guys. The first is the /target, /follow hotkey. The second is /assist /cast, /pet attack hotkey. Then i have a few that are unique to some guys. Like my bard has a couple of melody hotkeys.

The cool thing about wireless number pads is that you can set them up and then buy keyboard stickers and put custom commands over the top of the numbers. If I were super hardcore I would look into a streamdeck XL for each computer but I can't justify a peripheral that costs five times what I payed for the computer it is attached to.
  2. Cideral Lorekeeper

I will clarify that I am referring to input cloning/keystroke cloning/broadcasting. KVM generally means switching the display on one monitor between however many monitors. Or there are software only equivalents that can drag the mouse across multiple screens. If that's all that's being used, it implies the player is making a click per character per command without any cloning. I don't see any wireless numpads in that photo...

How many accounts, using KVM but not input cloning, can be effectively controlled by a single player? There's got be a certain point of diminishing return, ie once you click a command on the Xth character the 1st one to receive a command is idle until you finally get back to it.

I'm sure someone will say input cloning, no matter how powerful it is, is OK because it's not technically automation.
  3. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

You both keep using the term hotkeys, while referring to in-game social macros. I’m getting hot and bothered here.
  4. Gnothappening Augur

Depends on the group/raid makeup. Take a wizard for example. You could have it /cast 1, /delay 50 and have that happen 5 times or 4 if you needed an /assist at the start. For something like a ranger with /autofire it could be /assist, /autofire, /cast dot 1 and pause, /cast dot 2. I don't think a monk would be that useful unless you can get a mob to stay in the same place locked in.
  5. Laronk Augur

You could use deck board it’s like stream deck but it’s an app if you have some old phones lying around. It can be done wirelessly as well.
    Gnothappening likes this.
  6. Laronk Augur

So, personally I think a KVM with 6 + positions would be harder than having multiple keyboards.

So the multiple keyboards + a bunch of wireless or not wireless numpads (because it's quicker to press a bunch of keys for different clients with how tight you can space them) you could easily do a full group. its easier if its casters but you can effectively have melee auto follow your tank and if your tank gets on one side of the mobs you can have your melee behind the mob. this depends on the mob sometimes its a pain.

Obviously autofollow has its own issues and it's hard to use in some dungeons so it can be umm a pain to do LDONs but you can just move your camp and have pulls move up a bit and setup a new pull spot its a bunch slower than a real group.

So effectiveness? You can run upto 6 characters "ok" with practice some people can do very well. It depends on group makeup, so while some groups might be less effective than your ideal group it might be easier to hit all your buttons fast and get basic in game macros to do your stuff. The honest truth is while I only do an "ok" job on my boxes, I am not great at truebox I get messed up use the wrong keyboard all kinds of stuff. Still when I am playing bad, its better than a lot of pug players I play with, If a player joins my box group I often only roll on one character but really there's nothing wrong with people who roll on all their boxes if their boxes are doing a decent job.

Why do I box? I do like playing with other players, honest but sometimes I just need to afk alot and want to be able to do stuff. Sometimes for IRL stuff ill have a bunch of AFK moments maybe I want to camp some random thing that people don't want to do.
  7. Laronk Augur

Oh I just wanted to add one more reason to box, I kinda covered it.

Sometimes I just want to play really lazy while watching shows or working on something and other groups should have to put up with me playing super poorly.
  8. mark Augur

I love 6 boxing I don’t have to look for a group I afk a lot at zi sometimes I camp come back 30 minutes later, log out for dinner.
  9. Arclyte Augur

whats your favorite flavor of crayon mark

I like goldenrod
  10. mark Augur

While I am seating on my throne I realise none,
  11. Midnitewolf Augur

Yeah. Also a person doing this can't be good for the server. The game is all about a social experience, this person isn't being social. Also this is an example of a solo person, holding hostage content designed for 5-6 people to consume. Again not healthy for the game. This also allows them to farm group content with out having to compete over drops. Again not healthy for the game or the economy.

Seriously nothing about what is showing in the pic is healthy for the game.
  12. mark Augur

All those boxers paying for multiple accounts it’s healthy for the game.
    Chikkin and Gnothappening like this.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

In small craft aviation it's called a range extender.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

In my view, it's not very effective. I use Synergy and back when I boxed, I would only mouse over to one of the PCs when I need to switch a spell set or something like that. Otherwise, 6 keyboards is the way to go. To mouse over to every PC to click spells would be horrible.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

That's the most over-used, tired argument in EQ.
    Vumad, Appren and code-zero like this.
  16. Gnothappening Augur

Those mini wireless 10 keys are the best from what i have seen.
    code-zero and Appren like this.
  17. Appren Gnomercy

Those are awesome. Combined with Multiplicity or similar software makes legit boxing very comfortable.
    code-zero likes this.
  18. Vileborg33 Lorekeeper

What's the difference between running VM's and remote desktop to all the remote comps from a box running large displays. It's really semantics at that point. EQ is a social game, put down the boxes and go make friends and join groups. Learn to be part of the community.
  19. SoandsoForumUser Augur

I need to switch to wireless, my cat likes to climb in between all the numpad cables, get scared, then sprint away pull everything onto the floor.
    Appren and Risiko like this.
  20. Soulsiphon Elder

The sole purpose of this player is RMT, try and convince me otherwise.