Modern server without boxing?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Noobnoob, Apr 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. code-zero Augur

Soon the Crusaders would be seeking out the heretics. They'll murmur against people forming 'cliques' and accusations of allowing your friends to play your character would abound.

Just because some people want to live in a virtual North Korea or East Germany doesn't mean that any effort should be made to accommodate them
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  2. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

Welp, still doesn't detract from discussing a no-box server. You plebs are all so offended and defensive... (yes, I think this works in the same sentence :p) about a n0-BoX server. It's honestly pretty entertaining how this continues to pan out.

This whole "Get the pitchforks!!" stuff is getting better and better.
  3. code-zero Augur

You have everything completely backwards. Aradune was/is 2 box limit Truebox and there were GM's on server attempting to enforce the ruleset.

It was a failed experiment.

Currently DPG is engaging in a very successful campaign to rid live servers of one of the more widely known 3rd party programs without as afar as anyone can tell using all the garbage that is proposed to achieve those goals.

Bottom line is this, the only place that claims success doing what you want are some cheezy free e m u servers staffed with semi official vigilantes who play favorites and engage in RMT despite the rules. Corruption up and down the line. So, really those aren't examples of a successful model.
  4. jeskola pheerie

I am not sure why you interpreted my post as trying to get you to stop discussing a "no-box" server. In fact, quite the opposite, my post was engaging you in the very topic you wish to discuss. Deflecting and condescending when you run out of arguments won't get people to engage with you.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Skuz like this.
  5. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The reason people cannot play EQ without a VPN is honestly limited to what country they are in, some countries are blocked at their own request due to the free communication which EQ provides, so a VPN gets the person out of that country's IP range. The ISP itself is not exactly the issue.

As for Aradune and the idea of 1 per IP, as you stated those are not that good of an idea. Aradune already discourages families playing together. Couples or a single parent and child can on Aradune. But both parents and one or more children cannot play together. That is just stupid. Making the idea of just one device per IP even more idiotic.

Aradune is the only truebox server that actually limits the number of devices, all the others as long as you have an account and a separate device you are fine.
  6. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I'm pretty sure that ubrnoob was referring to Protius as being delusional.
  7. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Such enforcement requires the end user to allow full access to their system by Daybreak. Most countries have deemed that such access is not reasonable and not legally enforceable. Further, companies which have tried to unilaterally push out programs without the active knowledge of the end users have faced legal backlash both on the civil and criminal sides.
    Ryanxp and code-zero like this.
  8. Vumad Cape Wearer

TLDR.

The problem with EQ is not that it forces group content. It is that it all but exclusively forces group content. There is little to nothing I can meaningfully do, that is enjoyable, while I LFG. A lot of ground spawn collections, something that should be turned as a solo task, can't be done by a lot of classes because of see invis, etc. ENC, CLR, and a number of other classes can not meaningfully farm, even old content several expansions back, for tradeskill items or whatnot.

I didn't box so I can fulfil some sort of anti-social elitism. I logged into the game, started and completed a task. If someone was available, I added them, if not, I didn't, but I lived my best EQ life in the time windows that worked for me. I can assure you that 8am EST is not time of day where I had an abundance of choices of people to play with.

I mostly EQ to raid. I mostly box to get things done so I can raid. I mostly, exclusively actually, do missions without boxing, with other players. So for me, boxing is the solo play during the LFG.Missions are the group play and raiding is the team play.

Putting all boxers, botters, whatever in the same categories is just wrong. At present, I am saving $20/mo on not having my 2 boxes. I would be very content with a tuning change that made solo play meaningful (for all classes) without boxing.
    Ryanxp, Laronk and Stymie like this.
  9. Brildon Augur

Except there are people here in the US that need a VPN to play.. likely due to firewall issues with their ISP
  10. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

Still won't keep me from making this a talking point at any point in the future.

I have a dream. A dream that someday we will see a server with no box toons whatsoever.

That many players will prosper and help one another for a better tomorrow.

I have a dream.

Read it in his for full effect.
  11. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

I've had plenty of other individuals respond much more plainly and appropriately and candidly than this lot of kobolds. Your comment is... noted.
  12. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

That's nice and all. It can be done. Period.
  13. code-zero Augur

Reality check
  14. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

;)
  15. Panikker Elder

For all of those that want to box armies ...the server will fail!! Look at rizlona & thornblade !! they where less popular that their counter parts and boxing where allowed. Again boxed server have been given and none stick well (live anyone?)!! Having a true account that makes boxing no more than two or 3 per ISP and having super slow progression like tipple that of Yelniak will stick. Then again Agnar is dead ...and is stuck on basically classic EQ..I wish they re-launch an Agnarr server but this time make it all the way to epics 1.5(IMO the best epics LOL) but this time make it slow ..like RL progression of the eras that took months and years not every 4 to 8 weeks to grind and with Mischief or FV rules. That will stick. The only that will complain are the farmers that need several accounts camping 24/7 certain progression bottle necks that DarkPaw chooses to keep for unknown reasons. EQ was EQ because after reaching 60 and raided people made more characters and the low content was never that alone at all, with one single account. It was slow , death meant something ..and ..since it was suck on a certain level for months or a year ..new people never where alone since the upper guys kept rolling new characters. Back then none had more than 1 or 2 computers at the house ..I think the top 1% had multiple accounts and computers ..kids played with parents accounts ..some even shared accounts lol ..cause of the monthly fee ..Here is an idea. Making a hard core 1 account per ISP and Real time progression of expansions server ..no exp boost ..no free loot ..make krono untradable (on that server only) or at least have special Krono vendor that will sell Krono for xyz amount of plat like say 50k = 1 Krono on classic as the expansions progress the krono price go up to keep inflation in check lol ..etc etc even the dam farmers will need to actually organize and team up form a 1% guild with single accounts to try crap...but it will leave massive areas not covered by them the rest of the non-farmers will enjoy ..that's my 2cp ..And will give DarkPaw at least that many years more of revenue ..because the server will never catch up to live !! LOL
  16. code-zero Augur

Absolutely nothing in the wall of text would be viable on any new TLP.

Super slow progression/voting kills servers

You can't just change the way Krono work on a single server as they are an account wide item that provide All Access subscription to multiple game.

The Epic 1.5 is in OoW which has the 2.0...

I have serious doubts about you even having played the game at all though it is possible
  17. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

What ISPs, please name some. Or is it more so that they are playing on a work or school network which blocks games?
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  18. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

No, it cannot. In the United States, it is against the law for any company to do so without the end users permission, and they cannot withhold access to services by requiring such access. This was established back when Sony started embedding such into their Music media. Sony was sued and lost big. Following that protections were put into place regarding it making it such that a program cannot scan through your computer looking for whatever you have on it if that is not its primary purpose. So an antivirus program, sure, but a game not so much.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

A dream that will never happen as they have never and will likely never have this type of server because it is impossible to enforce.
  20. Brildon Augur

I'd have to ask some people I know have issues what their ISP is, but for myself CenturyLink, I use to have an issue with crashing on zoning and then not being able to log back in for 30mins at a time

Eventually found out from another post on this forum that it was a cyber security setting from CenturyLink causing the issue. I had almost quit til I found that post cause it was near impossible to troubleshoot the issue
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.