Help with Paladin life!

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Volas, May 27, 2022.

1. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

Here's a good walk-through for doing the multi-binding:

You don't necessarily condense everything to only a few keys. You condense the handful of spells/AAs/Discs that you want to use on cooldown to a few keys, also some things that make things easier or more reliable for you would be combined onto macros or keybinds (ex. Deflection + a key to swap to the correct bandolier set).
    Stymie likes this.
  2. Wulfhere Augur

Not necessarily. Actually this game is made of statistical cliffs. So getting over a threshold (like AC) changes an occurrence of something from always to rarely, like hit/miss, or melee dmg, or spells resisted.

All one has to do to prove the point is go and test against grey con mobs where they cannot hit you with melee or any resistible spell. Then work forward to green cons and light blues until you see them overcome your stats, not little but little, but suddenly boom!

So although I said (and believe) that late game Type 7 augs are completely under powered, they do help you get to the next statistical cliff a tiny bit sooner. Mainly it is your armor that does that duty and modern armor needs Type 5 augs to reach heroic thresholds (e.g. HDex).

Where each threshold is depends on the mobs you're fighting. Modern mobs are way out of balance vs player stats and require completely different play styles to combat them (i.e. incessant spam healing).
    Volas likes this.
  3. Volas Lorekeeper

See that screen? Thats EXACTLY what I *DO NOT* want. What's he running there? 100+ Buttons?!? Jesus H christ that would make me sick to my stomach trying to push all that.. nevermind giving me a full blown aneurysm trying to remember what even 1/3rd of that actually does. My god that is a complete nightmare. My UI ever looks like that Im uninstalling. Just wow..
  4. Volas Lorekeeper

Ok, just to show you a bit clearer picture here of how it goes for me..

(The HD/4k version is still processing at the time of this post.. sorry.)

Before anyone says it, yes, I am 100% aware I never popped my defensive Combat Tomes. Didnt need em. I was purposely looking at them during the run though to train my brain to go for them though. Heck I was a bit into the adventure when I realized I didnt even need the Cleric Merc.. I switch to DPS merc. So there IS real progress being made!

No 108 buttons required.

Im looking to make things simpler, not more complicated like that dude's UI in the video above. Still cant believe he has 100+ buttons..
  5. Fenanebae Terrwyn Lorekeeper

Hey Volas, I think I missed it or it never was covered. What server do you play on?

Thanks
  6. Disapointed Lorekeeper

- allowing adds to be behind you will get you murdered much faster, sooner or later you will encounter backstabbing mobs.
    - casting harmonious without someone to heal you = the charges never fade
    - charging into almost every pack of mobs is not a habit you want to stick with
    - you at no point had skin on (+ agro and mellee dmg reduction)
    - when you dont have the need for a healer and opt for a mellee/caster merc, it's a smart plan to actually heal it
    - on some of the 3 pulls, you took a bit more damage and your merc was taking damage, could have used your AA root to leave atleast one of them in place while you killed the other 2, easily mitigate needless damage taken.
    - hiding your melee in a window you can't see seems odd. I assume thats also where your can't see your target messages are

As far as that guys UI, it's pretty common that the more familiar you become with things, that you will use more abilities/clickies and don't want to go digging for them in your bags/AA window.

It's all about playing smart and much like life, reinforcing good practices become like second nature the more you do them.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  7. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Might as well look for another game then. Because you're going to use 50-100 hotkeys and item clicks minimum eventually.
  8. FranktheBank Augur

You need to calm down. You came here for advice and now are just screeching at any advice you dont like. The video is showing how to set up a multibind, which is basically required to play almost every class well, so that person's UI isnt really relevant. Having said that, theres a fewthings he has that arent important; like a Sit key, bash, etc. Outside of those, your bars should be sorta similar.

Theres a lot of skills/clickies you are missing. This isnt exhaustive and I dont know if you have them all at 107, but at a glance you are missing; Holyforge, Blunted Blade, and Blessed Guardian discs, Armor of the Inquisitor (you have group not solo), Reflexive, Repel, Heroic Leap, Hallowed Lodestar, Hand of Tunare, CoP4. Not to mention all your spells, unless you rebound them? I guess you plan on mouse clicking all of them which seems crazy.
  9. Tucoh Augur

EQ at high levels might not be the game for you if you don't want a bajillion hotkeys to deal with. Presuming you want to play your characters to their fullest. The large number of hotkeys are the tip of the iceberg when it comes to mechanical complexity. This mechanical complexity is what keeps me coming back to the game.
  10. Velisaris_MS Augur

I say this with all due sincerity:

If THAT UI in the video freaks you out, then perhaps EQ is not the game for you, especially if you're gonna play a tank. I play a SK as one of my primary 3-box toons, and even with keybinds, I still have 2-3 hotbars worth of stuff I'm constantly clicking and have on cooldowns. If you're not willing to have every tool you have in plain sight and ready to click when you need it, you're not being an efficient tank.
  11. Wulfhere Augur

Lol, too funny. Do pay attention to your positioning in combat and never let mobs hit you from behind for minutes at a time. You cannot defend flanking attacks.
  12. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I don't have any multi binds keys and mouse click everything, and don't use gina either =/ Just how I am used to playing. I get the utility, but I don't think you HAVE to do it.
  13. Act of Valor The Newest Member

This is the reason you're having difficulty, more so than the lack of augs. Any class, paladins included, are more than autoattacking and casting a few spells. If you aren't using your AAs and discs, you're only utilizing a small percent of what your class is capable of.

I understand that a bunch of hotbars full of hotkeys is overwhelming to look at. It is easier to start with a few AAs, get used to using them, then once you're comfortable, add another five. Eventually you'll be using most of them and it won't feel like it's a screen full of unfamiliar buttons.

If you don't want to do that, you will always struggle with Everquest, and I think you'd be happier in a different game.
  14. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

To be honest, other than clicking spells on cool down and hitting reprove line on cooldown, mostly you're hitting things once every 3, 5, 10 or 20 minutes. So its not THAT much clicking.
  15. Stymie Pendragon

I’m nowhere close to being an expert at playing a Paladin, but my only piece of advice is to work on setting up multi-binds and utilize them more than the macros I saw you adjusting for latency in your video.

There were a number of times that I didn’t see any spells being cast that a multi-bind would have helped improve your DPS. The acronym, ABC, or “always be casting” is important at later levels in EQ from my experience.

With that being said, you are doing fine, but there a few things you can change to improve a little. Best of luck, and remember playing games is about having fun. :)
  16. FranktheBank Augur

You are kind of proving the point. You are clicking spells and reprove and you could just be hitting your bind instead.
  17. Volas Lorekeeper

First of all, I am perfectly calm. Do not put tone in my posts that isnt there. Second, do not put words in my mouth that arent there. Im not "screeching" about anything. Tyvm. I dont want 100+ buttons. Period. If im not "super optimized" because of it. Fine by me.

I get exactly what the video was showing. Dont have any issue with it. I was making a completely seperate comment regarding the buttons. Thats it. Thats all. Saying I dont want my UI looking like THAT.. isnt "Screeching." Its a matter of fact statement.

I will speak no more on the subject, because arguing about it isnt why Im here.

I got the basics of the answers I was seeking.

As I said before, and I'll say again for the closing... thank you for those that assisted. Its much appreciated.
  18. Volas Lorekeeper

I tried multi-binding spells last night after I made that video. I ran into a problem rather quickly. The spells at the top were refreshing before the spells at the bottom could be cast..

The main issue for me atm is not doing a multibind (I actually got that i think.) Its *what* should be multibound together. At 107, I have a large amount of spells/abilities, its alot to take in all at once, especially trying it a different way that Ive never used/done before.
  19. roth Augur

Not a paladin (mine’s in his 50’s I think; its been a long time since I’ve loaded him up) but one thing I can tell you is, when I did the multibind for my ranger, long recast time went first, and the spell that basically had “can recast it immediately after gems unlock” spam-ability was put at the end. Everything else gets hit then this one spell gets spammed until something else, higher priority, refreshes, then it gets hit instead.

Pick your stuff carefully. Or with advice from people who play Paladin.
  20. Wulfhere Augur