Dumb question, but why are all of the crafted Ethernere gear/weapons prestige?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Juzam_Djinn, May 28, 2022.

1. Juzam_Djinn Elder

I was thinking of subbing an alt account or two for a month just to get AA'ed up, but I wanted to grind out a few more levels with them before doing so. Went to look for gear in the Bazaar, but for the Bard there was like one weapon in her level range to buy.

Then I remembered that Ethernere stuff was level 100 and wasn't that hard to crafted, but then I realized it was all Prestige. Is it because the stuff to make it is so common or something? But that makes me wonder why Conflagrant gear wouldn't be as well, since it doesn't seem to be that hard to come buy the ingredients (although it looks like the ingredients are over priced right now, might as well buy the finished gear from people who aren't price gouging).
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Because they are too good for free players
  3. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

Price gouging doesn't exist. Lazy people just dont recognize good capitalism when they see it.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I dunno, I think charging 800% the regular price for bottled water right after a natural disaster definitely qualifies as gouging.

And who could forget "warm & caring human being of the year 2015"
    [IMG]
    Warpeace and Nennius like this.
  5. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

Nope it's supply and demand working as intended. Nature being nature doesn't mean its time for handouts.
  6. Svann2 The Magnificent

True. Its called profiteering and there has been a federal law against it since 1990.
    H.R.5582 — 101st Congress (1989-1990)

However this isnt that.
    Nennius likes this.
  7. Svann2 The Magnificent

H.R.5582
    (b) PENALTY- Any person who profiteers in a listed essential commodity
    in violation of subsection (a), with the knowledge that he or she is
    engaging in profiteering of a listed commodity, shall be subject to up to
    5 years imprisonment and a fine of up to $500,000, and shall be required
    to disgorge all profits earned on essential commodities with respect to
    which profiteering occurred.

In context of gouging after a natural disaster.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

Interesting discussion about a serious real world issue. But this is a game, and what is, or isn't, available to freeloaders in this imaginary digital world just is not the same as price gouging, profiteering,etc.

Personally, I think stuff from say, ten, or more, expansions ago ought not to be prestige. Having said that, I don't have any reason to expect that my opinion will have any real influence in this matter.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. Juzam_Djinn Elder

yeah, nah fam, when someone is selling rando Conflagrant armor for like 200k+ a piece and other people are selling it for a tenth of that or less, it's a combination of gouging and dumb.
  10. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

It still matters on TLPs
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

TLP's are not FTP. Thus the question of prestige shouldn't be an issue.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and code-zero like this.
  12. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

People can sell their own stuff for whatever they want. Thats what good capitalism is all about
  13. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

Good point
  14. Smokezz The Bane Crew

So buy it from the buy at a tenth of the cost? Some people don't update their prices for a very long time. And if you're talking about one set of conflag vs. another set... if they have the only one of that item, and it's 200k - oh well? It's not gouging, it's selling it for what people will pay for it. If it doesn't sell, people won't pay that much.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Bigstomp like this.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

nah "fam". :rolleyes:

It may not sell for 200k+ each, but that's the choice of the seller. Nothing is stopping anyone from acquiring the skill and materials to make their own Conflagrant armor.
    Stymie and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Unless people are somehow forced to buy it can't fairly be called gouging. When I sell stuff in the bazaar I learn quickly to love impatient buyers. Caveat Emptor. On the other hand, with patience, sometimes a LOT of patience, I can usually get what I want for a LOT less. Gotta love the folks in a hurry to part with their plat.

/cue Mr. Burns
  17. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  18. Bigstomp Augur

I don't trader much, and usually when I trader I mark my stuff as the cheapest because I just want to get rid of it and not have to play the bazaar game.

Had a funny thing happen the other night, I sold a bunch of way old stuff for way more than I personally thought it was worth(have not updated prices in a while) - Who am I to complain about someone paying me? (Was actually very nice, got new bag space and made plat)
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Back on topic!

RoS Conflagrant gear was T1 armour, it was the catch up tier, unfortunatly in a lot of other expansions the crafted gear is the highest level of gear hence the prestige tag.
  20. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Because all of the crafted Ethernere stuff is within the top 2 tiers of gear for that expansion. Most crafted gear was what was considered Tier 2.5 or 3.5 in quality. Both put it in the Prestige range of that expansion.

Prestige gear from the start has always been the top two tiers of gear along with almost all augments. This was introduced when it was expected that there would be 4 tiers of gear in an expansion on average. They did put in an exception, that being that the T1 gear would not be Prestige. There has been some more recent expansions which introduced an exception for that exception in the form of T1 raid gear not necessarily being Prestige if there is only 1 tier.