Necromancer DPS/DoT Rotation

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Raging666, May 22, 2022.

1. Raging666 New Member

Guys bit of a nooby question but im looking to move from Mage over to Necro from 1-10 can those experienced give me some idea on DPS/DoT rotation please for just standard general fights.

2. Rizzin Elder

What level? Xellen's videos might help you, for example this one (though this one is now outdated with a couple of key bugs fixed and type 3 augs being released):

3. Raging666 New Member

Thank Rizzin,

I have just hit 120 im pretty much just spamming my long end dots but trying to get the rotation better so that the fall off is not so damaging.
  4. zleski Augur

In order you want to be casting:

1. Pyre of Xa Vakra
    2. Extinction (or Hemorrhagic Venom)
    3. Hemorrhagic Venom (or Extinction)
    4. Zelnithak's Pallid Haze

After that it's a dealer's choice between disease dots, pyre of the neglected, scalding shadow and infected wounds. Those first four are the highest damage output. Personally I pair Pyre and Extinction because they wear off together. The two poison dots also wear off together. The other dots have a really long duration, and the wounds line don't really do anything until the proliferation phase, which can be two minutes out.

Remember: You want fights to end quickly so you want to open with your most powerful spells, and it is those four.

What not to cast, then: Avoid every plant, swift, snare dot and mana-based dot.

edit: Why avoid those dots? The swift dots do not get any bonus from our AAs beyond the focus, meaning they're the lowest impact. The plant dot is garbage because the other four other dots (and even the disease and other fire dots) do more damage. We don't fight plants! Even if we did, the plant dot would be underpowered. The mana and snare dots aren't worth spell slots because they're low impact; we have a snare AA.

also edit: Don't forget twilight leech and/or the protector's grasp as dots that can be worth casting in certain situations.
  5. Rizzin Elder

6. Silu Elder

The CoV combo DoT should be in your top 4, as together they do more DPS than the Haze line, plus Grip has some minor debuff qualities.

For group content, the skellie swarms are up to level 125 with max raid focus, so while they are reasonable DPS, they can help a lot with reducing incoming mob damage from bash (and are very helpful for mage Of Many if you group with one).
  7. Beergoggles Elder

Yeah should still be using Danvid's grip of decay even at 120. Call skeleton mass is a lot better than many think. Last time I parsed it out it sustained 220k on a dummy in guild hall. That's with EM30. In groups I always suggest adding bestow rot, flesh to venom, and inspire ally to spell lineup. You won't be stacking that many dots on mobs in group anyway and those will allow you to add procs to your spells and a buff proc to pet that will also give you chance at an essence emerald when the buff fades off of pet.
  8. menown Augur

Call Skeleton Mass has for sure scaled better at level 120 than it has at level 115. With that said, you will not be seeing them do 220k sustained DPS on current content. The AC values on non-modified guild hall dummies is nowhere near what they are with live content.

For my tests, I performed about 30 parses and under 5 different scenarios of ADPS support. I raised the guild hall dummies AC to 7022, approximately the same as live content. I used EM 30 ear. The values below are averages of total damage.

No support:
    Bard support:
    Mage support:
    Bard & Mage support:
    Bard, Mage, & Glyph of Destruction:

P.S. Inspire Ally is not a DPS tool. In fact, with pet burns going, the pet has been parsed to lose swings with Inspire Ally on. There was no significant difference between pet parses with and without the buff. I will only use it for pet agro and extra heal support.
  9. Sancus Augur

You're correct that AC on live content is higher than default dummy settings, but there's a big gap between group and raid AC, and neither correspond to 7K AC on a combat dummy. In my testing, raid boss AC has barely increased since RoS and is still around 5-5.5K on a dummy.

I haven't tested ToL group content, but back in TDS, there was a 2,450 AC difference between what Dzarn quoted* for group trash mobs (1,850 AC) and endgame raid bosses (4,300 AC). Given that gap, swarms should perform a good bit better in group content than in raid content.

*Note that the AC value reported by combat dummies is actually quite a bit lower (very roughly, about 1,500 lower) than their actual AC, because EverQuest.
    menown likes this.
  10. chronicler Augur

11. Silu Elder

Did you mean Enchanter (IoG/aura) or did you mean Mage (pet aura and procs of Synergy)?
  12. Szilent Augur

IoG/twincast does literally nothing for Call Skeletal Mass.
  13. chronicler Augur

what would the dps be if in a grp where there are cleric/warrior but not much more ?
    with grp equip
  14. Szilent Augur

is that your situation? go cast the spell, let us know :)
  15. Silu Elder

Agree. Ignore my comment, I had something else on my mind when I only half read your post.

My "group" lineup (back to the OP's question) is functional but not completely optimal, and geared towards grouping with a mage / often pet tanking:
    1. Big Pyre
    2. CoV Combo
    3. Venom
    4. Extinction
    5. Haze
    6. Grasp
    7. Pyre 2
    8. Shadow
    9. Leech
    10. Skellies
    11. Mind Atrophy
    12. Pet block
    13. Blood nuke
  16. menown Augur

Primarily:
    [53550/16189] Enhanced Theft of Essence Effect XIII
    Classes: MAG/254
    Skill: Melee
    Target: Single
    Range: 200'
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 4m+ (40 ticks), Dispelable: Yes
    5: Increase Chance to Avoid Melee by 28%
    6: Increase Max HP by 30000
    8: Increase Current HP by 30000
    10: Increase ATK by 3400
    11: Increase Melee Haste by 25%

But also:
    [22655] Arcane Distillect Effect
    Target: Single
    Range: 240'
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 0.25s
    7: Increase Hit Damage by 15% (v185)
  17. Rizzin Elder

I think the question from @chronicler was, are 2 and 6 the same? They are as that is my rotation, not the specific spell gems... keep Proclamation for Blood going always and it expires after about 4 spells.
  18. Rizzin Elder

My DPS ranges from 350K to 550K, per mob, in a normal group without ADPS enhancers and without any special clickies (AAs, items, etc). That number is dependent on the mob as well (does it have lots of HPs so I can build DPS, is it head-shotable such that a Ranger or Rogue can take it down quickly, etc).