Help with Paladin life!

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Volas, May 27, 2022.

1. Volas Lorekeeper

*UPDATED*

OK! First, thanks for the advice, suggestions, and clarifications!

Things that have changed since the original posting!

First - Ive gotten the ghetto/bad merc healing spells "Blocked" on my Pally.. and my survivability shot through the friggen ROOF. Ive been hunting in Lcienium (sp?) without my HP even dropping below half because of this and the other updates Ive made.

Second - Ive gotten ahold of some Conflag Augs. Ardiness, Security, Vigor, Deftness and brilliance are now slotted. I was able to snag 3 of the Resplendent Soulstone of Deftness from TBM as was suggested. Those are slotted now as well. Can work on getting more of those later, but want to focus more on AC Augs if possible for the time being.

Third - Someone pointed out my spells were "out of date." ... and thats about the time I realized I hadnt bought a spell since level 100.. i was 6 levels out of date. /facepalm. This has been corrected and hooooo boy has it helped.

Fourth - My socials were a bit problematic. Ive since fixed my 2 primary spamables as follows...

Social 1 "Aggro"
    1 - Impose for Honor RkII
    2 - Taunt
    3 - AA 7712 (DD, Stun, Hate Generation.)
    4 - Disc Repel RkII
    5 - Timer. (This reds out the button.. once the cooldowns finish, button repops, smash it again.)

Social 2 "Damage"
    1 - Crush of Povar
    2 - Brilliant Vindication
    3 - Doctrate of Rescession RkII
    4 - Protective Proclamation RkII
    5 - Timer. (This reds out the button.. once the cooldowns finish, button repops, smash it again.)

As it pops between cooldowns on socials, Im casting Harmonius Blessing RkII, and my AA buttons as they pop up. Disc Abilities are used as the refresh.

Will use AA AoE Stun Beacon of Rightousness everytime it pops, and occasionally pop in another stun spell cast in between cooldowns just for added amusement.

Fifth - Would LOVE to use a Sword and Board. Good luck finding one though. This aint FV where I can pop over to the baz and buy raid loot drops for giggles sadly. This is Vox. The closest 1 handed weapon thats even usable by paladins around my level is level 115. Next Lowest is 100 .. that crappy whip with 85 damage.. and then a level 80... the Jumping Axe. There's a level 105 shield.. for 1.5 MILLION platinum, and that aint happening. Ever. Half my struggles gear wise? Bare market nobody selling anything, or prices so absolutely bonkers nobody can afford them.

In closing - Im working ALOT of the advice people are giving, and its helping. It really is. Thank you guys! (and girls, if any are present!)

Tomorrow I will give Gribbles another go Molo. See if I can hold up. If I can get Marks of Valor, I can get more augs to fill more slots, and that SHOULD carry me quite a bit further.

I havent tried a named mob yet, mainly cause I didnt see one all night long. Just bad luck. But with this weekend being increased rare spawns.. I should get my chance soon.

OLD STATS
    HP 183k
    Mana 125k
    EN 119k
    AC 4146/2328

(Buffs are different i think, not 100% sure on actual changes)
    NEW STATS
    HP - 185k
    Mana - 126k
    EN - 120k
    AC - 4241/2234
  2. Tucoh Augur

I know you don't want to add a box, but adding a heroic level 100 bard box will increase your lethality 3x without adding all that much difficulty to playing the game. I have no useful advice for your paladin skills.
  3. Hitmehard New Member

You need those augs. They are essential to tanking. Trying to play a tank at that level without them is like trying to play a mage with no EM item. You’re pretty gimped. The HP on your gear don’t matter. AC is king that’s what you look at first.

Plenty of augs you can farm in old content that isn’t challenging at 106.
  4. Hitmehard New Member

Heroics are not level 100 until September. No boxed class will make up for 4k AC at 106. He’s going to get steamrolled by anything 100+ Until they fix that first.
  5. Hitmehard New Member

Also if you’re getting steamrolled so bad why not drop the 2h for sword and board?
  6. Szilent Augur

lack of augments is a big deal, your stats are not high. Depending on the server you're playing, some may be available to purchase or the currency to get others, but even filling the empty slots with older ones, just "something", should bump your stats a good ways.

Several major things you've not addressed, though, are use of defensive abilities, use of heal multipliers, and use of heals.

You have /discs to defend you: Armor of Ardency for 2 minutes every 7.5 minutes, Holy Guardian Discipline 2mins/12mins, Skalber Mantle every 15 minutes. Each of these has upgrades coming for you before level 110. They're not just "oh heck buttons", they're part of your class' power that needs to be used or you're not really playing paladin.

A rotation of Armor of the Inquisitor AA, Spire of Chivalry AA, and epic click Flames of the Valiant makes a full time boost to the heals you receive. One of those three should be on you all the time.

The socials you describe look like you're basically hitting them once each per battle. That's…bad. Instead consider building a keybind that you can "spam" activate in combat to stay busy spell casting to boost your own survival. The "for Honor" spell includes a bit of protection, but that's the only spell you've said you use that does so. Instead of lining up a couple socials to cast once each per battle, you could be casting spells like Valiant Defense and Protective Proclamation every single tick.

If you need help setting up a keybind, maybe hit up the paladin class server on Discord:

https://discord.gg/zyDPJp8k
    Tucoh likes this.
  7. Szilent Augur

also these are low level abilities. you should have the 107 & 103 versions (the 103 about to pop up to 108)
  8. Velisaris_MS Augur

You just solved your own problem...aug up.

At 106, you should be able to get a full set of conflagrant augs for cheap. Since you can easily get the materials with Overseer, you can probably just give a bunch to someone with high tradeskills and have them hit combine for you.

If you've got marks of valor from CoTF, buy all the augs you can off of the vendors to fill out the empty spots.

Then start farming augs from past expansions...camp anything that drops AC augs that you can easily handle and start swapping out the crappy CoTF augs with the drops.
  9. Wulfhere Augur

Conflagrant gear and fighting in EoK and older will be fine. Prefer undead and stunnable camps.
    Type 7 augs are not that important as they add up to less then 5% of your power.
    Type 5 augs matter for hDex up to 2500.
    Get a slow/cripple belt.

Mostly you want to improve your spell choices. You want to use Harmonious Blessing (merc on reactive, block HoT and Promise heals), preservation, rotate 2 stuns, root park adds, single pull with calm, rotate defensive discs, use 2H when hp are stable, twin cast Admonish, twin cast Burst heal, Remembrance nuke.

Social macro hot bars and paladin don't mix. Multi-bind is a better strategy.

Search the forum here for many recommendations.
  10. Volas Lorekeeper

Wait.. Im sorry.. "block HoT and promise heals" ... ?! You can DO that?!?!

PS - TBM augs are hot garbage and basically useless in every possible way as they slot into TBM armor.,. which is ghetto compared to my Conflag.

I cant do Marks of Valor (they arent tradable).. cause I cant solo HA's.

Which is why Im stuck to begin with. I doubt very much a 12 AC aug is going to do anything, and I honest to god dont want to spend hours camping rare spawns for them. If 4121 AC isnt good enough, I highly doubt 4300-ish is gonna make jack squat of a difference.

Hopefully I can find a solution.

Now if you'll excuse me.. Im off to figure out how to block casting of crappy healing spells. This ALONE may make all the difference in the world.
  11. Hitmehard New Member

I have a hard time believing you can’t solo gribble HAs at 106 even with your low AC. I would try it again.
  12. roth Augur

Those are not the only TBM augs. You can buy augs that fit into the Type 5 Aug slot in your Conflagrant gear. Those are the augs you want to get.

Look for the level 105 ones that give you 32 HDex.

Get one for the 5 slot in your weapon, as well. Farm the LDoN raid for the 35 AC slot 5 aug for your shield. You do have a shield, right? For those times when using a 2h is not a survivable option?
    Swiss and Tucoh like this.
  13. Szilent Augur

Wow don't be this guy, guy. You came asking for advice; folks have that advice for you. It's on you to try to understand it - ask for clarification if you have to - not to tell the people you're asking for help why they don't know what they're talking about.
    Tatanka likes this.
  14. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Augs are a big help. I'm surprised you can't find any on the bazaar. What server are you on? A set of Conflagrant Gem of Adroitness, Security, and Vigor would be good purchases. Take another shot at the Gribble HAs, you can purchase some augs to fill up your slots until you find better.

For spells: I wouldn't use crushes if you're moloing. It's good for agro, but your cleric merc is never going to steal agro from you. You'd get a nice improvement if you loaded up our stuns instead, or undead DDs if you're fighting undead. Mark is pretty bad, I wouldn't load that spell. Keep yourself buffed with Blessing (when you have a healer) and Preservation always.

Macros: don't use them if you're not boxing. You'll want multibinds. I use a few. I keep the Repel line on one "multi"bind, our crushes/stuns/undeadDDs on another multibind, and a couple of our reflect heals on another.

AAs: Szilent explained it well, you want one of those up at all times. Keep in mind that Armor of the Inquisitor and Group AotI are on different cooldowns, so while you can't have 100% uptime between the two, you can still have a good chunk of your time buffed with those AAs, and they help a lot.
  15. Stormreaper The Chaosflux

That's actually decent for his level, but gribbles give terrible XP past 105

It's faster to just do Lceanium undead in Xp/hour, I soloed a bunch there on Miragul during ROS

Shouldn't need a healer merc for either of those though, use your Brilliant and Burst when you drop low or to cover a spike. Use the HOT stun and the 10s recast stun

Keep Protective, Impose and Preservation rolling, only recasting if they drop

Learning how to manage your recourse, learning how to cover spikes and when to pulse the smaller HOTT heals is pretty critical tho

And 200 AC would make a massive difference when you are going from 4100 to 4300 in that level range. But even at 4100 ac you should be able to do an undead geibble and gangbusters trash packs, use Pureforge and VR to get quick kills to maximize chance at getting BOTF to proc, once that procs roll through the living mobs and its pretty much a wrap after that just mind your mana when you hit 50% do Marrs Gift.
    Szilent likes this.
  16. Hitmehard New Member

It’s not actually decent for that level. it’s a tank with 0 AC augs. Almost 1k AC under where they should actually be. The reason I suggested gribbles is for marks not XP.
  17. Stormreaper The Chaosflux

It's perfectly fine for gribbles, I was soloing those in TDS with like 3700 with my 2hander out, surely he will be fine with 4100 lol
  18. Volas Lorekeeper

Im having honest to god working on this "Multi-binding".. but Im not sure how the heck Im supposed to condense so many AA, Spells, Abilities, and Discs to a few buttons... my brain is burnt after today.

Im working on it.. hopefully I can figure it out tomorrow after some sleep.
  19. Velisaris_MS Augur

Dude, the type 5s are the most important augs...they're the ones that really boost your heroic stats. Since the TBM currency is tradable, you can just buy what you need. You'll be able to fill all type 5 slots with 32 hDex augs, which will give you a HUGE improvement.

All you need is the three progression tasks to be able to buy the augs. The first two tasks are just run and hail. The third task is a mission which, if the scaling isn't all jacked up, you might be able to solo since it's almost all undead. At worst, you can ask for help to get through it. A max level toon can clear it in like 15 min, quicker if you get lucky on the drops.
    Tucoh likes this.
  20. Tucoh Augur

If it makes you feel better, the incredible complexity of EQ you're getting burnt by is what keeps the game fun for years for competent players. And go level a heroic bard, you'll feel dumb later if you continue to molo on a paladin.