Could use some help w/ Paladin Life...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Volas, May 27, 2022.

1. Volas Lorekeeper

Ok, Im running a 106 Paladin ATM. (Full Sub. NOT F2P.)

Im REALLY struggling to kill even level 100 mobs. Even with a cleric merc fully kitting in Healer Gear. I may down 1, but if I get 2.. Im dead. Im dropped in SECONDS.

Even with healer on Reactive, and me cycling stuff like a mad mofo.. Im routinely dropping to negative hp and popping back up (which glitches out my UI forcing a restart.. fun..) or outright just dying to blue mobs that I dont think should even remotely be giving me this many problems.

So, Im gonna run through some stuff, and try to see if Im missing something obvious.

First Gear - This is the easiest part. Im in FULL CONFLAGRANT ARMOR. All Slots except belt and face. Belt is 2300hp (Belt is bad because no options on baz to upgrade except 2, sold by the same guy, and he wants 1 million plat for a level 105 5500hp belt.. not happening.) , Mask is 5660hp (Bard's Golden Mask). Primary weapon is Skycleaver. https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=126312 There's nothing better than this at 106. I will die on this hill. lol.

AA's are Autogranted

Hotbar 1 has 2 socials. Easy.

Social 1
    (inc message)
    Taunt
    activate Taunt aggro Direct Damage AA 7712
    activate Absorb 2 hits Defy
    Timer

Social 2 Casting
    Demand for Honor RkII
    glorious expergation (DD self heal twincast)
    crush of tarew (DD Taunt)
    Mark of the exemplar rkII
    timer

The rest of my hotbars are pretty much a friggen mess of AA abilities on long timers or situation. Included are..
    Vanquish Fallen
    Valor Rage
    Spire Chivalry
    Inquisitors Judgement
    Intensity of the Resolute
    Beacon of the Rightous
    Group Armor of the Inquisitor.

On a seperate Hotbar I have my "Emergency Heals" section.
    Gift of Life
    Hand of Piety
    Lay on Hands
    Various Potions.

3rd Hotbar is the misc bar
    Rez, Purify, cure, IvU, mount, Divine Protectors Unity, Lesson, Throne, Origin.

=========

Now we come to the crux of what *I* think a major issue is.. Augmentations.

I dont have any.

Mainly because most of them are completely and utterly impossible for me to get. I cant do Group Adventures, I get splattered. hard. There's no grouping anymore really. Unless you get really lucky. I cant kill relevant named mobs.. I get splattered. HARRRRD. I feel like Im stuck. Not to mention, I really dont know what to even look for or where. Too many years of expansions to even begin to understand what is what anymore.

Tradeskills are OUT. I refuse to wade into that absolute nightmare. So that cuts those augs out too.

Nothing on bazaar at all either. Ive looked. Repeatedly. Other than the occasional Defiant one of course.

Basically.. I could really use some assistance. Are the lack of augs the reason I am struggling so much? Or is it something with my hotbars or gear?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Sorry for the wall of text.

PS - I dont box or do so as little as possible. Im barely keeping up with 1 account. Nevermind trying to do 2.
  2. Ozon Augur

Might want to post in the Tanks forums, quite a few very helpful Pallys there
    Celephane likes this.
  3. Volas Lorekeeper

Oh I almost forgot.

HP 182993 Healer Merc and Self Buffed
    AC 4145/2328
  4. Volas Lorekeeper

I didnt even think of that. Thank you very much! Will do so now!
  5. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Not the way you want to try and get exp. At level 106 you should be hitting mobs in the 85-90 level range for fast efficient kills. I want to say that Chapterhouse should be good at that level?
    Celephane likes this.
  6. Volas Lorekeeper

I can try it again.. but last time it was the same thing,... I cant single pull due to the roamers, and the second I get more than 1 mob.. Im dead.

*edit* So far so good. Mobs are level 98ish.

Even got 2 and held fine. So its basically work like 4 or 5 expansions backwards? Cause I thought the Ring of Scale/Kunark/Velious were the last 3..
  7. Carden Journeyman

I played a paladin until 2004ish (level 70 in OoW era). Back then, the primary way that I would solo mobs would be to reduce the damage I take using a strategy "chain stunning", because mobs can't use melee attacks or cast spells while stunned.

Basically, I would mem 3 or so stun spells, and then do something like this:

1.) Cast stun 1 on mob
    2.) Hit mob or heal self until stun wears off
    3.) Cast stun 2 on mob
    4.) Hit mob or heal self until stun wears off
    5.) Cast stun 3 on mob
    6.) Hit mob or heal self until stun wears off
    7.) Repeat process from beginning

I don't know if chain stunning is still viable for paladins at your level.
  8. Cicelee Augur

I don't play a paladin, so I won't comment on paladin stuff. But you made the comment that you have to go back 4-5 expansions to XP.

I am sure if you had augments (which you admit you have none) then you could maybe bump up an expansion. But yes, someone who is not geared or AA'ed properly for nearly any class is going to have a rough go at the last expansion or two or three.

I forgot what server you are on, but you may want to look in the bazaar for IIRC Remnants of Tranquility. Or ask in general or level 120s if they have extra. You can use that currency to buy some augments and type 5 augments to at least fill in your gear. And IIRC Marks of Valor in COTF expansion allow you to buy some type 7 augments as well- lots of people have a bunch they will never use and may sell or give some to you.

At least the remnants and marks get your augment slots filled in. Then see what you can do in more recent expansions...
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

Chapterhouse worked well for me then. But...I had to be careful in pulling. It was VERY easy to get overwhelmed and die. I set up at the zone in and grabbed the roamer and then grabbed whatever came into view. I also was read to zone out if needed. I don't remember why (or if I really knew) those particular levels were such a PITA, but they were. Now, with a much better system (mine at that time was way out of date and I couldn't afford to replace it) I would box another character to help out or try harder to get a group together.

In any case, stick with it. Playing a paladin (since October 2000) has been fun for me. Not always easy, but fun.
    Celephane likes this.
  10. Droctrebor Journeyman

Don't forget to utilize the sword and board if you get a multiple pull. Make a hotkey to switch it quickly from the 2H. Also, on multiples, be quick to use your deflection discipline and then Guardian discipline. These will help buy you some time to take deep breath and gather your wits a little bit.
  11. Fenanebae Terrwyn Lorekeeper

12. Allayna Augur

I didn’t see a spam button unless it was social 1 or 2. If that’s the case, that is a large contributing factor to your deaths, I don’t see any self healing or a spell line up.

You’re a Paladin not a warrior, there are many self healing spells and after the revamp to healing, there’s a heal target’s target line.

You can multi bind your spell gems to a hotbar button and make a social, meaning, set the alternate key press for casting spell gems 1-5 or 6 to your spam button, mine is 1.

Then on hotbar 1, make a social that does your spam abilities, mine has the repel line, I think it’s repudiate at current max level. Your AA force of disruption and Vanquish.

My 1-6 spell gems are a mix of stuns and other abilities like valiant for healing and aggro, a dicho would benefit you in there as well as a burst.

You can hit me up in game or PM here, but basically, you should be out healing your healer merc to the point you finally decide you’re better off without one.
  13. Volas Lorekeeper

Allayna, I actually posted this in the tanks forum thanks to a suggestion here.. and there have been quite a few changes as of late. lol.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/help-with-paladin-life.283303/#post-4140582

Im still trying to wrap my head around this multibind thing, and Im going to try and get that figured out today.
  14. Allayna Augur

15. Paladin Augur

So, I block spells so my Merc can't cast them. I block the Heal Over Time and Promised spells cast by my merc, forcing my Merc to use fast / direct heals. Makes my Merc a better healer, imo.

Also, all though they don't always work (resisted / immune), don't forget you do have pacify (for pulling), Root (for controlling adds), Stuns to reduce damage to yourself, and your Direct Damage spells / AA's.

You also have you self and group heals to heal yourself. Not to mention your Discs.

Don't fight over you head (gear / levels) and / or skills. Better to kill in 'easier' locations, especially when you consider the time and risks (adds, deaths, MoB HP) to kill one even con MoB vs. somewhere where you can kill with less risk (can more easily handle adds and kill MOB's faster). After all, in the time it may take to kill one even con MoB, you could have killed a few Dark Blue MoB's, for a better over all XP gain.
    Nennius likes this.
  16. Wulfhere Augur

It always is when the mobs can be stunned. It's superior when the mobs are lethally dangerous, like 115+, because you're preventing millions of HP damage over the course of a single fight, for little mana.
    Carden likes this.