No the devs do not need to reinvent the wizard just a small adjustment

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Highwizard, May 18, 2022.

1. Highwizard Augur

Wizards do not need a huge boost, the main problem is most wizards cannot raid very well or do not play their class to its absolute limit. Most people that play wizard want to press 4 buttons and parse number 1.

Another issue is some guilds do not realize the potential that wizards have in TOL with the proper adps group. Which is a mage, druid, enchanter and bard. It is not uncommon for me to parse 1.1.2 million dps for an entire raid night.

For wizards that want to parse 1 all the time with 4 buttons may seem like a small parse. I propose making frenzied devastation an actual burn or buff our ethereals a bit more, or combination of both.

The rest is up to us to play our class as intended and micro manage your rotation based on your adps situation. These small changes would help people who do not get a good adps group; but do we want to be buffed too much and they just nerf us?

I do not want that, in fact I am more for balancing the "OP" classes, so we all have to fight for top 5 slot rather than boost the wizard and over doing it. For anyone that is interested the wizard is NOT in a bad position this expansion, you just have to play it not press 4 buttons.

Here is a parse from may 8th from T1 and shei this is an average parse for me for entire raid night notice the seconds...I know for you mages and necros this is low but its not bad overall Combined (120): Shei Vinitras in 4412s, 82.86B Damage @18.78M, 2. Highwizard +Pets = 4.28B@988.76K in 4330s {7MMM}
  2. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

They could also add something like incantations, similar to songs using the short term buffs window with AoE radius spoken prose that gives groups / raids fireflare damage increase, or some other way to creatively add some group utility within roleplay confines.

NONE SHALL PASS! was spoken by what class?
  3. Szilent Augur

A druid, tbh. Bit of healing ability but would rather be blasting enemies that are specifically unnatural, has a sword, deep understanding of the world, gets around fast, horse & eagle friendos. Primarily known for his wisdom stat.
    Act of Valor, Owl56, Tropi and 2 others like this.
  4. Beergoggles Elder

Don't forget necro synergy in your adps list for group building, it's surprisingly good. IMO the biggest problem with wizards is still the reliance on RNG procs. When the RNG gods bless the wizard with luck it is pretty sweet, but when the RNG gods curse the wizard instead it feels bad man. Perhaps removing the RNG mechanics would make wiz feel too vanilla and less interesting to play, but there being a bit more consistency and less reliance on the proc dmg would be nice. I agree that wizards are in a better place than before and have seen them as high as #2 on the parse for some events when the RNG has been in their favor, and very often top 5 for an entire night.
  5. SonOfABiscuit Augur

The wizard class is dead. Leave it buried.
    Metanis likes this.
  6. kizant Augur

7. Everdork99 Lorekeeper

Has been said about every class in the game at one point or another. One day the boards will be filled with Wizards are OP,nerf wizards just like every other class has been. It's just hard to wait so long.
  8. kizant Augur

Not really. Some classes like necros or SKs have been OP for the majority of the game. Some are OP every 2 or 3 years while some have only had a handful of good years in total.
    Xanumbik, -----Cinexa----- and Skuz like this.
  9. Metanis Bad Company

Yeah, I loved those years hiding behind a wall, looking down at the floor, watching the chat window for my turn in the CH rotation!
  10. ChiiChii Augur

I main a wizard and have since i began playing in 2002. We are far less utility than other casters have now become (dru/shm got rez ability). A wizard's main goal is to seek destructive and infinite power. Introduced the sympathetic proc line, then it was reduced because of server/instance performance. Now I do not know whether the reduction in their procs was class specific, however those are, imho, mandatory for us when raiding. Rather than rely on ADPS to boost our total damage potential, the procs certainly provided an advantage we hadn't had in quite some time.
    The clicky effect on our epic 1.5/2.0 is not beneficial at higher levels.

Our requests may seem to fall on deaf ears and it can leave some resenting the class or the class resenting the developers with whom we all communicate on a daily basis here. All I'd like to ask for is acknowledgement of our pleas and actual participation in discussions on what we, as players, need and you, the developers/engineers/project leaders, tell us your vision for considering adjustments. There's not a mean spirit in my post and is entirely genuine.
  11. Zalamyr Augur

I feel like a big part of the overall problem, not specific to wizards, is that they seem to be fundamentally against making consistent, small tweaks each patch. I'm not sure if it's just a time thing or a design philosophy. They seem to do nothing to address balance for months or years, then throw out dramatic buffs or nerfs. I'd really like to see tweaks each and every patch.
    Metanis, Skuz and kizant like this.
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

They could reduce the cooldown on some of our burn-AA's, some of them are a tad too long imo.
  13. Beergoggles Elder

I believe the same can be said for most classes. Rogues are about the only class that I can say have a well designed burn cycle. Many classes have timers that are either too long or that are staggered in a way that doesn't allow them to line up with much of anything. It would be nice to see them do an overall revamp of burns/timers to allow for more of them to line up with adps or just pair up with smaller burns.
    Jumbur likes this.
  14. Majin-ryokoryu Journeyman

This, this all day. this is what drove me away from wizard. The fact that skill was less than half the formula. I wasn't a raid wiz, I was a grp wiz and the grp game is BAD. You don't have 1 ADPS if you get into a group normally let alone 2 or 3 boosting you. To show an example of just part of the RNG issues the difference between a crit and non-crit back in the day for a wiz was 30% or 60% of an xp mobs health with a big bomb. These days on your best nuke in a grp on an xp mob your big blast is 2% and a non-crit isn't even noticed by the mob. Arcane fusion on the other hand is noticeable but it's 3% unmodified and it just doesn't get triggered by a ton of things. Another issue is twincast doesn't effect things it should. The multi-aether is something that should also be looked at, charging you extra mana then only having a chance t get extra damage out of it then having a chance of being charged for the second spell with no spell at all and with such a low chance to trigger the extra spell, wizards pay a steep price for a chance at rare thing. Claw spells are another sore spot, wizard sustain is tied to RNG for that reset proc and gambit if you have 2 resists is a failure but the game is balanced around always succeeding. you can do everything right and be outparsed by a tank or screw up and blow something out of the water and wizard tends to run hot or cold never warm.
    Petalonyx likes this.
  15. Majin-ryokoryu Journeyman

The biggest issue with wizards as far as I can tell is they completely lack design focus and their original purpose has been lost over time. Originally wizards brought the boom, you could play max DPS and you would be out of mana in no time or you could cast sustainably and you would still be the first to need a break but you lasted a while. This resulted in a dichotomy of sorts. You kept your mana stable until you needed to drop the hammer and then you blew it up while dumping mana, The big boom also had a time investment to it as it took longer to cast than your less bang bang type spells. Over time the bombs had their casting time lowered to keep up with the faster gameplay of EQ but likewise had their relative damage dropped as well, so instead of having long cast times with big damage all wizards have is low damage nukes with fast cast times, you have to spam the crap out of spells like a spaz to even try to deal damage and then you have to pray the RNG rolls the right things in the right order at the right time. Wizards never gained anything to replace what they lost and what they lost was reliable damage which is a bad place to be for a damage only class. Mages get an AA that makes their fickle fire line pretty much guaranteed to boost their nukes and when combined with their pets they blow wizards out of the water and are far more mana stable doing it, The thrice-woven mana line should have a similar boost but it isn't done and there is no reason to use it, it's a useless line as it. Wizards should not be raid bots only, they should not have to have perfect support to perform their basic class function.
    Mahlhavoc and Petalonyx like this.
  16. Mookus Augur

I like your post Majin. But I hate to post on this thread started by a guy that starts the entire thread saying wizards don’t need a boost, that just need to stop sucking.

That guy doesn’t get it.
    -----Cinexa----- likes this.
  17. Panikker Elder

Give wizards a plus crit spell that can be beneficial for groups and more mana conservation as a buff ..there ..fixed ..
  18. Genusii Journeyman

I agree. Wizards need: IoG, CH, and Voice.